Writing Routine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    ella
    @nova21
      • Total Posts: 604

Hey KeePers!!

I was recently thinking about how to get myself motivated to reach my word count each day (Kathleen’s first video really helps!!) and I decided it would be fun to create a routine for myself.  If anyone wants to, it would be awesome for y’all to share your routines and help inspire each other to write each day!

Sooo, without further ado, here’s mine:

1)  before I start writing my book, I write some free-verse poetry in my journal to get my juices flowing and to hone in on my style 😉

2)  with dark chocolate, a water bottle, and music in the background I sit down and set my timer for 30 minutes;  when I reach the end of the 30 min, I add my word count onto my NaNoWriMo project

3)  my friend got me a fitness cube (which has a bunch of workouts on each side), so I roll it every 30 minutes to get my heart rate up before writing again

So ya, that’s all I got.  I’d love to hear what y’all came up with!

@kathleenramm
      , @gracie-j, @devastate-lasting, @trulyyours_karilyn, @e-k-seaver, @mkfairygirl, @issawriter7, @writerlexi1216, @jenwriter17, @godlyfantasy12, @abigail-m, @scripter-of-kingdoms, @joy-caroline, @seekjustice, @wyn-rose, @lewilliams, @daisy-torres, @imwritehere1920, @scoutfinch180, @lucy, @g_c_al, @ribbonash, @anyone-and-everyone-else, @sorry-if-i-forgot-your-tag-dont-take-it-personally-i-have-very-bad-memory 😃

-ELLA

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by ella.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
      -gladiator, 2000

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@nova21

1. Write down daily goals in bullet journal.

2. School.

3. Try to get those page counts in (5-8 pages with music)

4. Lunch

5. More school. If I get distracted, work on some other projects.

And pretty much that’s it every day, haha.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Jenna Terese
        @jenwriter17
          • Total Posts: 2522

@nova21 Ooh the fitness cube is a really good idea!

Here’s what I usually do (tho it changes sometimes):

I gather a full water bottle and any books or papers I need for my WIP. I use a pomodoro app on my phone for my timer (working 25 mins; break for 5 mins). And of course, I have music. I usually put on whatever music I feel like I need (i.e. motivating music for when I’m feeling unmotivated).

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
          www.jennaterese.com

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m
            • Total Posts: 1242

@nova21

This sounds like an awesome idea! But I don’t really have a routine *insert sheepish grin* Usually, I just write bits and pieces that I think up during the day and try my best to write as much as I can at night:) I write poetry whenever it comes to mind and revise if it’s good.
            I would like to get into a routine however, I think I’d get a lot farther if I had one:)

(But I’m with y’all on music, it was often a necessity for my NaNoWriMo survival XD ).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
            • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
            ella
            @nova21
              • Total Posts: 604

@devastate-lasting

Awesome!! 😃 I like the idea of page-counts instead of word-counts, which can be really daunting.

@jenwriter17

The fitness cube is awesome!  I have a sedentary alert on my watch, so whenever it goes off, I roll the cube, lol! 😆  Gotta stay healthy. 😉

@abigail-m

Maybe this topic will inspire you to make a routine!! 😃  For me, timing myself makes me go a lot faster and write more words.

what we do in life echoes in eternity
              -gladiator, 2000

Gracie J.
              @gracie-j
                • Total Posts: 1789

@nova21 @everybody-else Wow. Y’all have, like, actual routines. Dude. *cough cough* I, uh, I’m probably the odd one out here (I usually am), but I’ll contribute to the topic as best as I can.

I don’t really have a routine. I mean, I guess you could say I take a shower, read my Bible, watch TV with mi familia, brush me teeth, go to bed, check me email (for the eightieth time by this point), and then start writing. My afternoon routine looks different (ish), but I don’t normally do much book-writing. I reserve my blogging and other stuff for the afternoons.

It’s so cool to see what y’all do, though! One day, I’ll probably establish a routine, but with two toddler siblings (and four more besides), a schedule is basically fruitless.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Alexa Autorski
                @writerlexi1216
                  • Total Posts: 1011

@nova21

Hmm… I don’t have too much of a routine—mostly I just try to incorporate writing sequences at irregular intervals throughout the day.

I try to write before starting school (around 5:45 a.m.), and then once I finish school, I write a little more, then do a workout/jog, sometimes violin/or electric guitar, help my mom with dinner, shower, and then write for the rest of the night (except when my fam is watching something interesting on TV 😉 ).

I babysit my nephew a lot, so that cuts out my writing time, too. And then on weekends, I stay up pretty late after devotion time to try to get a good word count in 🙂

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j Wait, how many siblings do you have?

Gracie J.
                    @gracie-j
                      • Total Posts: 1789

@devastate-lasting Only six. I’m the oldest.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j “Only” XD Big families must be fun. I just have one younger sister.

Alexa Autorski
                        @writerlexi1216

@gracie-j

You have six siblings?? Girl, that’s so neat!! I only have three… and I’m the baby of the family ;-;

Issabelle Perry
                          @issawriter7
                            • Total Posts: 976

@nova21

Aaaaah, this is SUCH a great idea, Ella!!!!!!!!!! Okay, here’s my routine making it up, ’cause I don’t have a routine but I’ve been wanting to get one

-wake up and read my Bible and read blogs/answer emails

-if I get up early enough, then this is some extra writing time

-if not, off to school

-spend most of my life in school (jk)

-actually get to write!!!!!! I like to have something to drink like sweet tea or lemonade (yes, sugar drinks…not really a water drinker XD), then I’ll turn on some music (I’m probably the only writer who doesn’t really like listening to instrumental music when I write, for me it’s contemporary Christian music), and then I’ll try to write as long as I can go.

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                            TeenWritersNook.com

Issabelle Perry
                            @issawriter7
                              • Total Posts: 976

@gracie-j @devastate-lasting @writerlexi1216
                              Hahaha, guys, I have like five other siblings (if I’m not counting myself). I’m the middle child. I used to think I had a big family until I met a girl who had, I think, eleven siblings. (Also, Linyang, YES!! Having a big family is fun, but it’s also loud and sometimes makes it hard to find a table at a restaurant. XD)

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                              TeenWritersNook.com

Linyang Zhang
                              @devastate-lasting

@issawriter7 People with tons of siblings scare me because they could take me down in a fight XD

Alexa Autorski
                                @writerlexi1216

@issawriter7

Oh my word, seriously??? That’s super neat!!! I really wish I had younger siblings (because then I could boss them around all the time XD), but I guess I don’t mind being “the baby of the family” as I’ve been called ;-; But I do have a nephew, so it’s kinda sorta like a baby brother 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >