Writers' Corner #21

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #21

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 899 total)
  • Author
    valtmy
    @valtmy
      • Total Posts: 732

@jenwriter17

Aw 🙁 Bye!

@catwing

I am not sure whether you really mean what my MC hates the most or who she hates the most. There’s quite a few people that she hates but I guess I’ll interpret the question as what.

I suppose she hates her current state of powerlessness the most.

My question: Assume your character lives in our world in modern times. What job would they pursue? 🙂

Catwing
      @catwing
        • Total Posts: 2557

@valtmy @jenwriter17 If anyone wants to word war too, that would be great. (I do like these questions still. 🙂 )

@rochellaine
        @seekjustice @ariel-ashira @dekreel @warrenluther04 @sarah-anson

@princessfoo
        @filewriterbase13x Any of y’all on? Want to word war?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Catwing.

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

valtmy
        @valtmy

@catwing

Hi sorry I’ll be going off for now too. I’ll probably come back after lunch but given the differences in time zone I suppose you won’t be around? 🙁

Catwing
          @catwing
            • Total Posts: 2557

@valtmy Bye.
            I probably won’t. 🙁

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

valtmy
            @valtmy

@seekjustice

Hey, you around? I think you’re the only one who might be at this time.

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice
                • Total Posts: 3365

@valtmy

I was about to say I lived in the future, but two hours probably isn’t enough to have read a completed first draft, so I’ll just say nothing at all.

I think its pretty good. It did take me a while to get used to your writing style, but that’s probably just what I’m used to reading/writing. I’m not entirely sure about the massive jump in time, but for now I think it works all right. And Myeongwol learning to look after her son, that was very cute.

Today’s Sunday and I don’t usually write on Sundays but I got 4k yesterday, so I was happy with that.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@valtmy

Hello! I finished reading QoD!

For some reason, this wasn’t posting…

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
                  @valtmy

@seekjustice

Mayhaps you really are a time traveller. According to these posts, you’ve answered my question before I even asked it.

Ah, yes, I think my writing style is very strange. In fact, I think a lot of things about me as a writer are strange. I am puzzled by a lot of the ideas I come up with sometimes and have to ask myself, “Is this really ok!?” 😛 The time jump is one of them. As much as I wish I could go on writing cute childhood moments forever, the plot calls.

Wow 4k! 😀

valtmy
                    @valtmy

@seekjustice

You can’t have finished reading QOD because QOD is not even finished yet. 😛 But in general, what do you think?

Haha hoped I did not distract you too much from your NaNo. How’s that going? 🙂

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice

@valtmy

Huh, they’re all out of whack. That’s really weird.

Yeah, I think there would be people who wouldn’t enjoy your style, but once I got into it I really enjoyed it.

I have seen people do those time jumps in published books, personally I’ve never really liked it, but that could just be me. Still, I think you can make it work.

valtmy
                        @valtmy

@seekjustice

Didn’t Les Mis have, like, two time jumps but still manage to be a book you really like? 😛

Time jumps to me are an effective tool to bring out lots of subtext since the reader knows what happens before, what happens after but the middle is a great unknown which they can fill up using their own imagination. Of course, that is provided that the author is of the mind that interesting stuff did happen in the middle and is not just thinking as they write, “Absolutely nothing of importance happened while this person grew from a child to an adult. He/She just lived a boring life.” That would just be dull. There does need to be something under the surface in order for there to be subtext.

Oh, by the way, since you’re not writing today, do you want to read about my strange and captivating crown prince? 😛 I think I can find the thread with the link if you’re interested.

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@valtmy

There’s exceptions to every rule. But the time jumps are less noticeable in the book than the movie/musical because there’s so much extra stuff in there.

Honestly, I think its one of those tools that can be used very well and effectively, but often isn’t.

Most certainly 🙂

valtmy
                            @valtmy

@seekjustice

All right here’s the thread. As I said, please note that I have changed the story and the background of the characters since but this old draft should give you a rough idea.

How should I continue this?

Let me know whether Courageous would or wouldn’t be bullied horribly if they were brothers. 😛

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

@valtmy

I requested access 😀

I thought we came to the conclusion that he would be bullied horribly. But, the poor boy is bullied anyhow, so its just a matter of whether it would be better or worse.

valtmy
                                @valtmy

@seekjustice

All right then, let me know whether Courageous would be bullied by Shu Juqing, specifically, and whether he would actually like to have him as a brother. Or to have the Emperor as a father. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 899 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >