Writers' Corner #21

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #21

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 899 total)
  • Author
    Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17
      • Total Posts: 2522

#20 started acting a little funny (seemingly sooner than it usually does), but anyway here WRITERS CORNER #21!!! 😀

@catwing
      @warrenluther04 @dekreel @dragon-snapper @seekjustice @valtmy @rochellaine @alia @ariel-ashira @daughteroftheking @kaya-young @skredder @everyone

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
      www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@jenwriter17

It’s good to see we can still go through threads like crazy on here 😀

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine
          • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Hey, you there?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Yep, hey there 😀

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@seekjustice I was going through old notes and found a reference to something I thought you might be interested in.  Have you ever heard of Bill Nye’s Comic History of Britain? (Not Bill Nye “the science guy”  this is from 1906)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@Rochellaine

No, I haven’t heard of it.

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine

@seekjustice Here are a couple of quotes from it.

Bill Nye, Comic History of England quotes:

“The Druids largely lived in the woods in summer and in debt during the winter.  they worshiped almost everything that had been left out overnight, and their motto was ‘never do anything unless you feel like it very much indeed.'”

“Many a Saxon would have filled a drunkard’s grave, but wobbled so in his gait that he walked past it and missed it.”

“Some [Britons] fled to Wales, and perished miserably trying to pronounce the names of their new post-office addresses.

And from his Comic History of the United States:

Excerpt from Columbus’s letter of introduction to Queen Isabella: “He is by profession a discoverer.  He has been successful in the work where he has had opportunities, and there has been no complaint so far on the part of those who have employed him.  Everything he has ever discovered has remained that way, so he is willing to let his work show for itself.”

(He does have a lot of real history in the books, and it all makes sense as real history, he just puts weird jokes like these in the middle of everything.)  What do you think? 😉

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Well, it made me laugh! I’ll have to keep a look out and see if I can find it anywhere. Is it on Gutenberg?

Rochellaine
                    @rochellaine

@seekjustice Yes, it’s on Gutenberg. Should be pretty easy to find with a quick search of his name.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice

@Rochellaine

Well, it wasn’t easy to find “with a quick search of his name”, because that man wrote a lot but I did eventually find it and I’m up to Chapter 3 and quite enjoying it.

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine

@seekjustice I wish the Gutenberg copy included the original illustrations instead of just mentions of them.  I’m sure they’re quite hilarious.  Maybe I should get a hard copy sometime.

I’d advise you not to read the Comic History of America until you know a little more about our history… 😛  Just like with his history of England, there are a lot of jokes that don’t make any sense unless you know the true history and context.

I’m disappointed his history of England only goes up to the 1500s or so. 🙁

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I was just thinking that. He makes such detailed notes on the illustrations but we’re just left to imagine them 🙁

Very good advice. I might end up with slightly odd ideas.

Imagine if he was alive today and making satirical comments on modern society 😛

valtmy
                            @valtmy
                              • Total Posts: 732

@seekjustice @rochellaine

Hey will be here for a short while.

Oh I keep forgetting this. Rochellaine, I noticed that you finally joined SE. How do you like it there? 😛

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@seekjustice

Yes, you mustn’t think our history is anything but dignified.  Ignore the fact that a crowd of Boston men dressed up in rags and painted their faces with “Indian war paint” so they could dump a lot of tea in Boston Harbor.  Yup, we’re very dignified.

@valtmy
                                Hello!  So far SE is fine.  I’m kind of indifferent.  It feels a lot like KP used to be, since I haven’t joined a guild yet and am just on the open forums.  KP is home, though. 😉

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
                                @valtmy
                                  • Total Posts: 732

@rochellaine

Haha I used to be in a guild in SE but dropped it because I was not active. I might go on SE more often in the future if time permits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 899 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >