Writers' Corner #15

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Writers' Corner #15

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,010 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

Hey, anyone around. Iā€™m writing ;D @jess-penrose @jane-maree @anyone

@rochellaine
      I know itā€™s Sunday for you, but maybe youā€™re around for discussions?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Okay, Iā€™m up for a little bit longer.Ā  (My mom asked us to go to sleep a little earlier tonight since weā€™ve got a lot of stuff to do tomorrow.)Ā  Iā€™m not usually here on Sundays even just for discussions, but Iā€™ve got something I need to do on the computer anyway, so might as well, right? šŸ˜€Ā  So, here I amā€¦

What do you want to discuss? šŸ˜‰

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Cool, okay. šŸ˜€

Well, point one, Iā€™m trying to think of a term I could use instead of the word ā€œAristocratā€, something which conveys a similar meaning, and that the revolutionaries could use contemptuously.

Secondly, could I ask you some questions about my novel?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@seekjustice Do you use the phrase ā€œhighfalutinā€ in Australia? šŸ˜›Ā  Just wondering.Ā  That probably wouldnā€™t work in the scenario you describe.

In America the upperclass are called ā€œthe One Percentersā€ butā€¦thatā€™s kind of a political thing, and actually the One Percent are usually the more conservative capitalists, so theyā€™re really not the ā€œbad guys,ā€ though the liberals think they are, just because theyā€™re rich.

How aboutā€¦ā€The Bigs?ā€ or maybe ā€œEasies?ā€ (since their life is easy.)Ā  Or do you want a normal everyday word like Aristocrats?Ā  I just looked it up on the thesaurus, and saw ā€œswellā€ which Iā€™ve heard often used in books as a mocking of the upperclass, though itā€™s kind of old fashioned.Ā  I donā€™t know if thatā€™s an Australian word, but I think it originated in Britain, so it probably is?

Now, what are you listening to?Ā  I am listening to the soundtrack fromĀ The Slipper and the Rose, which is a really cool version of Cinderella.Ā  Have you heard of it?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@rochellaine Nope. the only time Iā€™ve heard that word is in Newsies, but it is a fun word. Though I think itā€™s slightly too comical for the situation šŸ˜€

Actually, I like the term ā€œswellsā€, it is a bit old-fashioned, but I think it works with the more slang way of speaking the lower class would have. Itā€™s also the term Enjolras uses to describe them in the musical ā€œWhere are the swells who run the show?ā€ Maybe Iā€™ll use that.

Right now, Iā€™m listening to the Lord of the Rings movie soundtrack. I think IĀ mayĀ have heard of it? Is it a musical?

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice Yup, itā€™s basically just a comical word. šŸ™‚Ā  Oh yeah, Newsies is American.Ā  Okay. šŸ˜›

Great!

Yes!Ā  Itā€™s an amazing musical, made in 1976, so itā€™s old enough for me, but the style is modern enough that I think youā€™d like it.Ā  The twist on the Cinderella story in this one is thatĀ after the prince tries on the slipper and finds the girl and takes her to the castle, the queen asks Cinderella to leave without telling the prince because their kingdom is in a teetering position that requires him to marry advantageously.Ā  So Cinderella leaves after the prince finds her! šŸ˜€Ā  She agrees with it because sheā€™s patriotic, but that means that the second half of the movie is completely extra to the fairy tale.Ā  It ends happily.Ā  The music is absolutely perfect.Ā  An interesting fact is that it was the movie selected for the Royal Command Performance in Britain for 1976.

Hereā€™s an example of lyrics from one of my favorite songs.Ā  The prince and his buddy are fooling around in the ā€œfamily crypt.ā€

ā€œOh ho ho!Ā  What a comforting thing to know!Ā  Thereā€™s a prearranged spot in the family plot where my royal bones will go!Ā  Yes Iā€™ll be slipped into the beautiful family crypt!Ā  Oh ho, ho, what a comforting thing to know!ā€

That song is hilarious.

Have you listened to anything new lately, musical-wise?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Ariel Ashira
                @ariel-ashira
                  • Total Posts: 739

@rochellaine That song is hilarious! šŸ˜€

"In a mask, was he?"

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@ariel-ashira Good morning!

Oh, do you know it?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Ariel Ashira
                    @ariel-ashira

@rochellaine No I never heard it before. Ā Good morning!

"In a mask, was he?"

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@ariel-ashira When you get a chance you should look it up on YouTube. šŸ™‚Ā  Itā€™sĀ What a Comforting Thing to Know fromĀ The Slipper and the Rose.Ā  One of my favorite musical songs everā€¦but then, Iā€™ve got quite a lot of those! šŸ˜›

By the way, Iā€™m revising the last section I showed you of my western where Chara wakes up.Ā  You told me you might have some comments on it, but didnā€™t tell me what they were.Ā  Do you have anything you want to edit or criticize about it?Ā  (Iā€™d like as many comments as I can get, because different people notice different things.)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Alia
                        @alia
                          • Total Posts: 1253

@rochellaine, @ariel-ashira, yā€™all on?

WIP - Decisions
                          Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Ariel Ashira
                          @ariel-ashira

@alia I am on, but I am not writing. Ā I am actually watching all the videos that Josiah and Daniel made. Ā Im about to die of laughter!!!

"In a mask, was he?"

Alia
                            @alia

@ariel-ashira, I wish I had time to do that. sadly my self imposed deadline for my book is coming up, and I have to write a speech for my mom

WIP - Decisions

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@alia @ariel-ashira Are either of you still here?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Alia
                                @alia

@rochellaine, I am. what are you working on?

WIP - Decisions

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,010 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >