Writers' Corner #14

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #14

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 1,033 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@daughteroftheking Does everyone but me kill their characters?!  I tried once, but chickened out and let him miraculously recover from the wounds inflicted by a firing squad.  I just love my characters so much I can’t be mean to them.

But anyway, my brother says it’s the best part of the book when he wakes up after being “killed” because it’s funny, so I think it’s okay.

I wonder what I’d do if I actually had to kill a character sometime…I’d probably have to buy one of those KP t-shirts that says something like “Don’t talk to me; I just killed a character.” 😀

@dekreel
      See you soon!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@Ariella-newheart @rochellaine

Watch and learn my friends.

Step 1: Give them a horrible backstory. (E.G. unloved orphan raised by an arrogant, but caring shinobi, becomes a ninja. Best friend betrays him, attempts to kill him not once but twice. Becomes assassin etc)

Step 2: Redeem them. Make everything fluffy clouds and rainbows.

Step 3: Have aforementioned best friend turn up again and ruin life generally.

Step 4: Chuck in a few near death experiences.

Step 5: Kill the other best friend.

Step 6: Have said character throw a magical sword into a furnace and almost die

Step 7: Have the aforementioned evil best friend stab him with a poisoned knife.

Step 8: More near death experiences

Step 9: Make life turn out for everyone else and end the love triangle with the girl going with the other guy

Step 10: Retreat to a monastery

You’ve now taken “How To Ruin Your Characters Lives in 10 Steps or Less”.

Trust me, I am a very loving person in real life and I rarely never feel the need to stab people.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Ha, I did that too. Poor Justice.

Can you imagine how many shirts I would need? You haven’t even read my novella, Comrade, yet. You don’t know the half of it.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Ariella Newheart
          @ariella-newheart
            • Total Posts: 141

@rochellaine I completely agree. That is a very good explanation! Heheheh…

I’ve had some of my characters have a fake death or just get captured and never be heard from again….

I have problems with killing off my favorite characters, but I’m going to have to do it. I just need to decide which one. I have a pretty good idea of a devastating death scene which I will write. Ahhhh, the possibilities!

@daughteroftheking
            That’s perfect. xD

INFJ. An extroverted introvert who loves to write and draw.

*disappears into the shadows*

Ariella Newheart
            @ariella-newheart
              • Total Posts: 141

All right, goodbye friends! I’m out for the night. Nice talking with you all! *waves*

INFJ. An extroverted introvert who loves to write and draw.

*disappears into the shadows*

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice You have just confirmed my belief that your characters should revolt.  😀

*giggles*  If you bought a new shirt every time you killed a character, KP would run itself on the revenue collected from your money alone!

@dekreel
                too: I’m going through my old books to write descriptions of them for my website, and came across an amazingly hilarious name idea I had when I was thirteen or fourteen.  Here’s the passage from the book where I explain it:

“What’s your name and occupation?” asked the Fastidious Ferryman.
                “My name an’ title’s Billiam Peters Jocular Jack Tar A.B., an my occupation’s Sailing Ships, Accompanying Expeditions, and such-like,” said the Jocular Jack Tar.
                “What sort of a name is Billiam?”
                “My name was William, I was called Bill. Then one day I says to myself says I, if Will be the nickname for William, then ain’t Bill the nickname for Billiam?  Since that, my name’s been Billiam.”

I also decided that “Bob” should be the nickname for “Bobert” by the same principle. 😀  Do you agree?

By the way, this is not actually what the content of my book looks like.  This passage is taken from part of a story one of the characters tells the other characters.  It’s a story within a story, which is why it sounds so strange.

Oh, and @alia if you wanted to see my books, here’s part of a part of one. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

think I am flattered. And I know, for someone who continually calls her characters her children, I am a terrible mother.

That snippet is actually so funny!

Joy
                  @dekreel
                    • Total Posts: 2304

@seekjustice  @rochellaine  @anyone-else…

I’m BACK! For now…

You can pronounce it however you want.

Joy
                    @dekreel

@rochellaine  Love the dialogue 😀

Bobert X’D

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh, I’m glad you liked it. 😀  I think it must have been influenced by A. A. Milne since random verbs and nouns are capitalized.

@dekreel
                        Since I wrote a story about Billiam, why don’t you write a story about Bobert? 😀

I’m actually much prouder of my kids series than of my novel.  Wait, is prouder a word?  It seems like it shouldn’t be, but the spellcheck here isn’t blocking it.  Isn’t it ungrammatical to say “prouder?”  I thought it should be “more proud.”

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Joy
                        @dekreel

@rochellaine  *starts brainstorming ways to stick “Bobert” in KPA…*

I… don’t know if that’s a word! o o

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I love the way A.A. Milne does that, I just like reading it to so much. “Pooh was a Bear Of Very Little Brain. And Piglet was A Very Small Animal. I just finished reading the original stories to my little brother and we both loved it!

I can just imagine Bobert being a hobbit. and that’s funny because it rhymes too.

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@dekreel Do stick him in the KPA!  Maybe I could have an imaginary friend named Bobert? 😀 *invents imaginary friend named Bobert* *smiles benignly at said friend* *introduces you to friend and warns you not to scratch him when you shake hands*

@seekjustice
                              *rises up with all the knowledge and understanding of a structural poet* Bobert and hobbit do not rhyme!  *realizes you’re Australian* *calms down a wee bit* Okay, they might rhyme a very little bit with your pronunciation.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Joy
                              @dekreel

@rochellaine  *smirks* *gingerly shakes Bobert’s hand*

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

It’s a well known fact that Robert is actually pronounced “Robbit”.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 1,033 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >