Writers' Corner #14

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #14

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,033 total)
  • Author
    Alia
    @alia
      • Total Posts: 1253

@rochellaine, @seekjustice, I’m kinda back.

WIP - Decisions
      Kapeefer til we're old and grey

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

Um…well, if we’re going to be honest, it’s not really my style. It’s just too…bouncy…and cheerful. I also found it really hard to figure out any of the plot from the songs, so I got a bit confused but hopefully that will be better when I watch the movie.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine
          • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice I see.  It should hopefully be better when you watch the movie! 🙂  I was actually going to comment the same thing: that I don’t think the songs will do as much for you as the will if you see them in context.  If I Loved You: Reprise makes me cry.  (“Now I’ve lost you, soon I must go in the mist of day, and you never will know how I loved you.”)  So does You’ll Never Walk Alone. (Only in the context of the movie, though, since it’s right after Billy dies…)  My favorite song is probably Soliloquy, though.

Anyway, that’s why you might like 1776 better.  I recommended Carousel to you when I didn’t know your preferences very well. 😉  The songs in that one are all linked to the plot of the musical in the more modern style.  I was just listening to it after recommending it to you and found a song I didn’t remember hearing before.  I think I started to cry halfway through it.  Have you gotten a chance to listen to any of those yet?

@alia
          Hi!  You have just entered the middle of a musical war.  Try to dodge the blows! 😀

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Alia
          @alia

@rochellaine, dodge? more like join in

I’m actually listening to pirates of penzance right now.

which musical are y’all talking about?

WIP - Decisions

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Since I hardly ever get to see musicals, either live or on dvd, I prefer ones that I can easily follow along with without having to check the synopsis every two minutes 😀 I listened to a few songs from 1776 (actually, I think it was just Sit down, John, I can’t remember now, but I spent most of my library time yesterday listening to Carousel, and The Lord of the Rings musical).

@alia
              Hey! I’ve heard The Pirates of Penzance is really good, but I’ve never listened to it. Have you ever heard A Tale of Two Cities? the musical version.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Jenna Terese
              @jenwriter17
                • Total Posts: 2522

@rochellaine @seekjustice @alia you all still here?

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@jenwriter17 yep, it’s a musical war! Be Careful!

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@alia Pirates of Penzance?!  Cool!  How are you liking it?  What part are you on?

@seekjustice
                    That makes sense.  Since I usually read the synopsis, then watch a couple of the songs on YouTube, (with clips from the movie), then watch the musical, I actually like songs better that don’t fit specifically with the plot because then I can sing them with whatever context I want.

When you get a chance to listen to 1776 again, try out Mama, Look Sharp.  It’s about a young boy soldier dying and asking his mother to come look for him.  So. Sad.  And so well done!

I’m listening to A Tale of Two Cities now. 😀  But I’m having trouble finding a playlist with the songs in the correct order, so I’m having trouble following the story. (I did read the synopsis on Wikipedia.)  The music is beautiful, though! And I happen to like the singers pretty well, as a matter of fact, so it’s a win-win. 😀

@jenwriter17
                    We’re certainly still here, but I’m going to have to go in about ten minutes.  My brother is taking me to the range to shoot his cowboy rifle!!!!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Alia
                    @alia

@seekjustice, until yesterday I hadn’t heard of the Pirates of Penzance. but @rochellaine introduced me to it so I’m giving it a try.

I didn’t know there was a musical version of A Tale of Two Cities.

Rochellaine, I’m on stay fredric stay. its a very interesting style.

@jenwriter17
                      , I’m actually signing off now because i get easily distracted on here

WIP - Decisions

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17

@seekjustice musical war? how does one play this game? 😛

@rochellaine
                        ooh, going to range! have fun 😉 Oh, and I did watch that video you linked. and I’m sorry, but I’m still not a fan of opera or operetta 🙂

www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Yeah, fair enough!

I know, it’s really frustrating. I think there’s two versions on YouTube, the concept album (which is red, and the cast isn’t correct) and there’s the international version, which is blue and does have the correct cast listed, I think the International playlist is in the right order.

Okay, I’ll definitely put that on my list…it does sound sad 🙁

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! Have fun at the range too, I’m going to go have breakfast!

@alia
                          It’s really good. One of my top three musicals 😀 As my family can probably attest.

@jenwriter17
                          There’s no rules, it’s every man for himself. Or every woman.

Jenna Terese
                          @jenwriter17

@seekjustice Oh, I see. Well, I don’t think I’ve seen enough musicals, so I’ll just sit back and watch the fun 😉

@alia

what are you both working on?

@draong-snapper @dekreel @warrenluther04 @skredder any of you wanna join?

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                            @jenwriter17

OH MY GOODNESS WHY DO I MESS UP YOUR TAG SO MUCH! @dragon-snapper

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                              @jenwriter17

@seekjustice @alia oh, just saw y’all are leaving. bye! 🙂

www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh, and I just realized that there are two ATOTC musicals!  One from 2006 and one from 2007.  I think you’re talking about the 2007 one, but could you let me know for sure? 🙂

@alia
                                  I really like that duet!  Poor Frederic, though! Isn’t the story hilarious?  If you’re born on leap year, in your twenty-first year you might only count being five and a quarter years old!  But he has to do his duty, even if that duty means breaking the law by being a pirate? 😀

@jenwriter17
                                  Ah, too bad.  And you don’t have to have seen a lot of musicals.  If you’ve seen one, that’s enough!  We basically just discuss the ins and outs of our favorite musicals, songs, characters, and plots.  And recommend ones that the others haven’t seen.  So, which musicals have you seen?

Except, that I have to go now!  Bye, everyone!  (By the way, do any of you ever shoot?)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,033 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >