Writers' Corner #14

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #14

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 1,033 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Yes, my absolute favorite guy’s name at present is Kenneth.  “R” names are next on the list.  What are your favorite names?

@alia
      Sorry you missed it, but I’m going to be starting the musical war now. 😀

Seekjustice, did you get a chance to listen to anything from Carousel on your trip to town the other day?  You said you usually listen to stuff at the library.  Is the library in town? 🙂  Or am I completely off and have no idea of what your life is like. (It’s probably the last, isn’t it. 😀 )

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

I’m honoured that my exceeding wit has brought you much pleasure. All right, then I shall. 😀 I’ve been collecting some prompts to put on the page.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I like R names too! *whips out the baby names book which is kept at the end of the bed in case of emergency character namings* Brace yourself.

I super love the names Roy and Rowan, I don’t know why, they’re just awesome. Also, Ren, Raidon, Ransome, Ramin, Raven, Raymond, Rivers, Rolf, Ryu….etc, etc.

In other names that don’t start with R, I also like the names Chandler and Kendall (I used both of those in Stars), Caelan, Errol, Finn, Gabriel (I also like the variant Gavriel), Jarvis, Kyung-Sam (which is a Korean name that I like for no particular reason and will use one day) and my book shows that I have a penchant for pretty much any name that stars with M, as a lot of them are highlighted.

I also have a lot of favourite girl names but if I listed them all, we’d be here all day. However, my two favourites are Bronte and Sapphire and if I ever have children, I am definitely persuading my husband to let me name one of them one of those names.

Unfortunately I did not. I was really busy on Friday, which was why I didn’t end up on here at all, and this is other day in town, but I’m at home sick. I did, however, read Liliom in the car the other day.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@seekjustice *squeals* Oooh, you have a baby name book?!!!  I don’t, except for a very short ten or so pages in the back of one of our dictionaries. 🙁  I have to go in my head or online if I want to name a character.

Oh, I’ve liked the name Rolf ever since watching The Sound of Music as a really little kid. 🙂  And Raymond is the name of one of the POV characters in my time travel book!!!! 😀

Same here, but a couple of my favorite girls names are actually ones I made up: Reymblyn, Kirlas, and Kethra.

You say you read Liliom?! How did you like it?  You don’t have to give me the whole deal, since I’m (im)patiently waiting your blog post about it, but just give me a teeny weeny hint?

It’s a kind of weird story, is it not?  I’m not sure whether I like it or not, but it’s interesting and well-written, I think.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Joy
            @dekreel
              • Total Posts: 2304

@seekjustice  @rochellaine  I guess I’ll join you guys. Partially because I haven’t come back to the KPA in days, and also because YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT NAMES! I LOVE NAMES!

You can pronounce it however you want.

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I do! And I honestly can say it’s the most useful piece of writing equipment I own, it’s an awesome book. I got it from a library booksale several years ago.

Yeah, that’s probably where my love of the name came from too. The novella I’m editing at the moment for my blog serial story actually has the main character called Wolfe, but he was originally called Rolfe, which I just decided to change for some reason that is now unknown to me.

Kirlas is really nice! It reminds me of some of the Elvish names Tolkien uses. So do the others, actually.

I have to say that I didn’t really like it. There was nothing in the character of Liliom that I liked at all and I felt that the way it portrayed Julie and Louise’s abuse was problematic, but I do agree that it was well-written and it had an interesting plot which I got quite invested in. I think it took me less than an hour and a half to read it, so I did find it quite interesting.

I put it on the shelf with The Picture of Dorian Grey, I didn’t like it, but it fascinated me and in some ways I did like it.

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@dekreel

Welcome to the great naming discussion!! I love names too, names are awesome. The question is: do you own a baby name book?

Joy
                  @dekreel

@seekjustice  Yes! I do have a baby book! It has 75,000+ names in it. I love it so much. I have been binge-reading the whole thing and writing down my favorites. So far I’m still in the girls, down to the Gs. Want me to give you a sample of some of my favorites?

Rochellaine
                    @rochellaine

@seekjustice Sounds like I’ll have to get one for myself.

Yeah, now that I think back, Liliom is a really horrible person in the play.  The only time I liked him was when he found out Julie was pregnant.  He seemed sweet then for a few lines.  The reason I like it is mostly just because of the musical/movie.  In those he’s a much nicer guy, though he still has problems.

I have never read The Picture of Dorian Grey, and don’t intend to.  Reading the synopsis on Wikipedia halfway freaked me out, and I think reading the actual book would complete the process.  I like lighter fare and happy endings. 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice

@dekreel *is jealous because Dekreel’s book has 75,000 names in it and mine only has 40,000*

Definitely, fire away!

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine

Hi @dekreel ! Welcome home. 😀  Do you have preferred letters like @seekjustice and I were talking about?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

My thoughts exactly, though I do like his name a lot. Liliom is a pretty cool name, though I feel it should have been a girls name. Also, it’s weird that his real name is consistently spelt differently. Well, I’ll definitely get around to those soon(ish)!

I read it the other month, it was definitely weird and freaky to some extent, but I found it quite interesting. I liked it more than Jekyll and Hyde, which has a similar storyline.

Joy
                            @dekreel

@seekjustice  Keep in mind that this list will continue to grow longer. *inhales deeply*

Girls names:

• Aerona
                              • Aine
                              • Airow
                              • Aithne
                              • Altair
                              • Archne
                              • Aske
                              • Audris
                              • Avriletta
                              • Baree
                              • Bazyl
                              • Sheba
                              • Vekka
                              • Bethyl
                              • Bree
                              • Briar
                              • Cachet
                              • Chalice
                              • Koko
                              • Dae
                              • Devon
                              • Dot
                              • Dove
                              • Echo
                              • Elke
                              • Esther
                              • Fae
                              • Faune
                              • Ferne
                              • Franki
                              • Gage
                              • Galaxy
                              • Gidget
                              • Ginger
                              • Greer

WHEW! There you have it

Ariella Newheart
                              @ariella-newheart
                                • Total Posts: 141

Hey, people! Ari’s popping in quickly to say hi! @dekreel @rochellaine *waves madly*

@seekjustice
                                *LE GASP* You like the name Ren?!? I have a character in my books called Rendon with the nickname of Ren! He’s the absolute bestiest! EVER. EVERRRRRR…….

INFJ. An extroverted introvert who loves to write and draw.

*disappears into the shadows*

Joy
                                @dekreel

@rochellaine  Preferred letters? Like individual letters?

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 1,033 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >