Writers' Corner #14

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #14

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 1,033 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

Newsies is one of my favourites! Are you enjoying it?

I have heard of Oliver, but I purposely haven’t listened to it yet because I’m very strict about adhering to the rule of reading the book first. and despite calling myself a Dickens love, I have not read Oliver Twist. Shocking, I know. So I plan to listen to it after I’ve read Oliver Twist.

I’ve never heard of the Student Prince, but that definitely sounds like the sort of thing I’d love (I like those twists because I’m so sick of let’s just get married and hope the kingdom doesn’t come to wrack and ruin, and I wouldn’t care even if it does, sort of thing).

And I’ll definitely put the other two on my list as well. (This list has…so far… seventeen musicals on it).

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Oh yes, I’m currently multitasking between making origami flowers and outlining my sequel.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine
          • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice One of my favorite books several years ago was about the newsboy riots, so the story is very interesting to me.  As for the music, I like it okay.  I liked the music from Phantom much better.  The New York accents are hilarious in that most of them are pretty badly done…as I’m sure you say about the fake Scottish accents of Brigadoon. 😀  But I do like the New York accent, and it’s cute to hear the little boys singing in it.  And last of all, (least, too,) the guy who plays Jack in the movie is kinda cute…

Yeah, most of those stories are extremely unrealistic.  I know Edward something-or-other of England abdicated in the mid-1900s because he wanted to marry a divorcee, but there was someone to step in his place, and he knew that.  In most of the stories the royal just marries the commoner and brings them up to the royal position…which rarely happens in real life.

Seventeen?  Wow. 🙂  I don’t have a list, except in my head.  I’ve wanted to make a list of things like musicals, books, movies, or songs to learn for a while, but haven’t really got around to it.  I think I’m intimidated by the fact that there will probably be hundreds on each list. 😀

Oh, I have heard that you do origami.  I think it’s pretty, but have never really done any.  A few of my sisters have, though.  My main type of handiwork is crochet.

I despise, detest, abhor, and avoid outlining as much as possible.  Which sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Yeah, the music in Phantom is much more sophisticated, but I like how fun and bouncy Newsies is (and I love how cute they are when they’re angry too). I wouldn’t know a good NY accent from a bad one, but it’s always annoyed me that all the characters in Les Mis have Cockney accents when they are French. And yes, the Brigadoon accents do sound quite fake. I haven’t seen the movie, but I’ve listened to some of the songs from it and I prefer the Broadway version.

Yeah, it’s really unpractical, and really, if I was a peasant and got the opportunity to become queen?? I’d run in the opposite direction.

I had to write it down because people kept recommending musicals and I knew I’d never remember them all, so I wrote them down 😀

Yes, I love origami! I do a lot of it, and next to writing, it’s the creative thing I do, and love, the most. I love knitting as well, but I’ve never learnt to crochet, though I think I did try.

I actually love outlining. Stars Fill Infinity is the product of literally months worth of outlining and planning and writing character charts. I find it works for me, but I get that some people like just to dive into it.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@seekjustice I actually do like bouncy.  I just don’t quite like the musical interpretation of a few of the songs, which makes them sound rough and broken.  My favorite song would probably be King of New York.  For a good New York accent I’d recommend Peter Falk.  He’s an American comedic character actor who was actually born in New York.  I haven’t seen much of his stuff, but what I have I’ve enjoyed immensely.  The old Brooklyn New York accent isn’t very common anymore, I don’t think, but it’s the most famous for people playing New Yorkers such as in Newsies.

Well, that’s kind of like how in the Sound of Music all the characters have British accents when they’re Austrian, right?  But then, you wouldn’t want them to have Austrian accents, because you would wonder why they were speaking English!  English language films set in foreign countries can never win in that way, as far as I’m concerned, but I love them anyway.  Neither do I like the movie version of Brigadoon!  I prefer the Broadway versions and the Robert Goulet ’66 tv version.

I wouldn’t want to be a queen either. 😀  Too much responsibility, and people staring at/taking pictures of you all the time!

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I completely understand the usefulness of outlining, and am trying to do some for my western novel, but I just find it really annoying and confusing. 😀  I probably will never make as detailed outlines as you, since I prefer to write as I go, but once I figure out a little of how outlining works I know my plot will be a lot better!

Anyway, I’ve got to go now.  So goodbye, goodnight, and happy writing!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

(It’s six o clock here, but I’m so tired I literally tagged you @goodnight)

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine

Hey anyone?  I’m writing for a little bit.

@dekreel
                  @catwing @jenwriter17 (even though it’s not the weekend yet 🙂 ) @seekjustice (if it’s not too early in the morning) @ingridrd @anyone-else

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I’m not really writing, I’m listening to my dad practicing his biblical Greek.

Rochellaine
                    @rochellaine

@seekjustice Does that mean you’re helping him practice, or just in the same room with him practicing so it’s distracting you from writing?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Well, we’re all at the table and he’s shouting things out, but I’m eating breakfast anyway.

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine

@seekjustice Haha 😀 😀

I’m trying to put the finishing touches on a poem.  I’ll probably be called away for dinner in a few minutes, but will you be writing in about an hour or two?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Probably not. Its our town day so I won’t be around, though I might get some time at 2/3ish. I must say adieu now 🙂

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@seekjustice Okay!  Hope to see you tonight/afternoon! 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

I have to go now, too.  I’ll be back (hopefully) in a little over an hour.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Kaya Young
                                @kaya-young
                                  • Total Posts: 272

@rochellaine   @seekjustice  @catwing

Hello? Anyone? I should be writing for a little while. 🙂

The Kingdom has been torn asunder...
                                  http://www.encircledbygrace.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 1,033 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >