What's Your WIP?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 155

Since we all love our works in progress (even when no one else does), let’s talk about ’em!  I find that I often get new ideas and a fresh excitement for my story when I discuss it with others. So what’s everyone writing?

@ dekreel @ jenwriter17 @rochellaine @ingridrd @sam_kowal @you…yes, you reading this

I apologize if I forgot you…whenever I go to tag people, my brain deletes everyone’s tags from my memory. I’ll probably end up tagging more people later.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@waterlily Great idea!  This is like an elaboration on what we sometimes do on Writers’ Corner.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

What do you know? I get a short space of free time and I use it to rant about myself.

This is actually refreshing. Writing a book is a long process and this reminds me of the vision that keeps me going.

I’m writing a fantasy quest trilogy with the basic premise that the villain has obtained a magic object that he can use to escape from his isolated kingdom and invade the world. The heroes’ job is to steal the object from him before he realizes what it can do.

The first two books are about major side conflicts that the heroes face along their journey. To them, these seem like distractions, but they’re related to the main conflict and, from a thematic and character development point of view, end up being very significant.

I’m trying to address the thematic questions:
          How ought one to face the evil in the world?
          How does one live a life that attains greatness?
          And what is the highest form of love?

In the first book which I’m writing now, I seem to be focusing a lot on personal identity, government, compassion, ambition, and how easy it is to manipulate people.

There are bards that can manipulate nature through songs, lots of villains, close friends, a monster, visions, battles, and cool swamp creatures with funny names!!!

That’s all I have to say. 😀

The real question is: what’s your story about, @waterlily?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
          @daeus

Tagging @graciegirl @ethryndal @kate-flournoy @ingridrd

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ingrid
            @ingridrd
              • Total Posts: 830

@waterlily

Oh fun!  So, my WIP is a fantasy trilogy.  Book #1 (which I finished the first draft of last year!) is about an orphaned teen living in Washington D.C. who has known she is different ever since she discovered her ability to create a blue flame in her palm.  Her sister disappeared 2 years ago and she ends up going with this guy to another world where magic exists (yes, I know it sounds really lame right now lol) and she learns that not only is her sister living in this new world, but their entire mysterious past is connected to it.

My favorite “creature” I invented for the story is the Shield-wolf, which is a person who can transform into a wolf for defense.  One of the characters in my book is a Shield-wolf and he’s one of my favorites.  🙂

Who are your favorite characters in your WIP?

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99
                • Total Posts: 1819

*grins* *dances* *hugs her WIP*

There’s a lot going on in my WIP right now. I started writing it, got three chapters in, then stopped again, because the characters weren’t right, and it wasn’t flowing well at all. So, I stopped, switched a few characters around, and now I’m outlining (again) this story about a young woman who grew up on her own, who finds her identity in all the wrong things, and ends up on a quest to save a family she didn’t know she had in a world she didn’t know existed. There are monsters, werewolves, archers, swordsmen, and mermaids involved. It’s a tangled ball of ideas, but it’s my WIP and I love it. *hugs it again*

My MC’s name is Evyn. She’s 19, and she’s been on her own since she was young. Her mother gave her up soon after giving birth, and she grew up in an orphanage until she ran away at age twelve. She probably wouldn’t have survived for long on her own, but she met a young boy named Lawson soon after, and he teaches her how to survive and fight. Evyn and Lawson end up starting a group of freelancing monster hunters (they’re just called Freelancers) and rally together to protect the city from the monsters that loom around them.

Essentially, the story is about finding ones’ identity–what to find it in, what not to find it in, etc–and how to be comfortable in ones’ own personality and beliefs. At least, that’s the way it is now. That’ll probably change once I get to know the story more…

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice
                  • Total Posts: 3365

@waterlily

@ingridrd
                  Cool idea! I like the idea of blue flames and shield wolves. How far through are you?

My work in progress is currently a trilogy (It may get longer though, there’s a few ideas floating around, but nothing concrete yet), the first book is written and it’s called Stars Fill Infinity, the second book is being outlined and the third book basically only has a blurb.

All three are dystopian retellings of popular classic novels (Les Miserables; A Tale of Two Cities; The Scarlet Pimpernel) and they follow my heroine, Chessy, and her friend Quillon and friend/love interest, Justice.

They are my children and I love them all! I have a few other WIPs too, but this series is my heart and soul, and it’s where I put most of my time and effort. I’m hoping to start the next book next month for Camp NaNo and do the last one in July/August.

Um yes, that’s basically everything. 😀 Thanks for giving me a chance to babble on about my child 🙂

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

@Waterlily @Daeus whaaaa…? You want me to sum up my WiP? Wow…

XD

Okay. Here goes.

The premise sounds pretty typical come to think of it. Harold is the second son of a king, and when he was nine years old he met a weird stranger in the streets of his father’s city and was subsequently cursed with the ability to generate and manipulate fire. The same night, due to his inability to control his new power, he almost burned the palace down and badly injured both his father and his older brother. Terrified that he’s now become a monster and a danger to everyone and everything he loves, he runs away.

Now, after ten years of wandering to and fro over the face of the earth and just trying to survive in a world that cares nothing for anyone but itself, events seem to be conspiring to force him back home. As a cynical, world-weary nineteen year old who just wishes he could believe in hope like he used to, Harold has forbidden himself to go back. But when he ‘accidentally’ picks up a mysterious and annoyingly tenacious companion, discovers that the man who cursed him in the beginning is still following him and evidently wants something, and becomes the target of a band of spies who also seem to be trying to take over the world, going back may be his only choice.

The one questions that remains is this— after all he has seen of the selfishness and hard-heartedness of the rest of the world, what’s to say his family will be any different? Why should he hope in them?

At least that’s the basics. And I mean basics. 😛 The thing is currently 400,000+ words long, though I’m clipping it down. It’s actually two books in one volume, structurally speaking, so that accounts for some of it. The title is Uncharted. It’s the second book in a series of eleven, (Remembrance) which can best be described as an allegorical fantasy with the overarching theme of the importance of the past.

Uncharted itself covers the somewhat smaller and more manageable themes of hope, responsibility, trust, and the dangers of trusting in man alone.

Whew! Yeah. I think I got most of it. 😛

introvert_girl
                    @introvert_girl
                      • Total Posts: 153

My WIP is told in five parts, each from a different member of the cast. It’s contemporary fantasy because I just really wanted giant lizards and cell phones, magical armor and pizza in the same story.
                      There are three main protagonists, all apprentices to a Knight (to two different Knights, that is). They get their powers from special stones that are gifted to them. Thematically, the stones represent responsibility or power, and how different people choose to wield it. Within the story, they grant the holder with heightened physical strength, and enhances the body’s ability to heal itself, as well as gives them each a unique weapon.
                      The main conflict of the story comes from the tension between the different clans of knights, and even between apprentices of the same Knight, who struggle with jealousy between them. I suppose that’s all I can say without going into greater detail about the important relationships of the story (which are really what the book is about).
                      I love hearing other people talk about their WIP! You can tell everyone really cares and is excited about their projects and characters. 😀

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Daeus
                      @daeus

@seekjustice Dystopian retellings of classics? That’s so cool!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ariella Newheart
                        @ariella-newheart
                          • Total Posts: 141

My main WIP is a fantasy series, 5 books long (written in 1st person with a few sections in 3rd from other characters), about a girl who is battered by various trials and sorrows that test her faith and threaten to embitter her. First she watches her village burn and learns of the death of her parents, and then she and her brother must flee from everything they have ever known and begin life anew in an unknown place. She begins to struggle with questions about her faith and her origin. The series follows her through her journey as she attempts to discover more about her past and what made her who she is. The theme of the story is hope, and the MC learns that even when all seems lost, there is still a dim flicker of hope in the darkness. That’s about all I can say without giving away major spoilers. 😛

I’ll tag @aislinn-mollisong, @lady-iliara, and @xonos-darkgrate.

INFJ. An extroverted introvert who loves to write and draw.

*disappears into the shadows*

Lady Iliara
                          @lady-iliara
                            • Total Posts: 144

@ariella-newheart Ooo I love it!

My WIP is the story of Alex the spy and Ian the innkeeper, but I really need a solid plot because currently it has none hehe…

But my main work-in-planning is Lillian and Lucy. I’ve had the idea for it since 2011, so… a long time now. Lillian is the main character, she’s 15, and her best friend is Lucy, who’s 13. There’s also a talking horse called Twilight.
                            There’s a King (unnamed); the commander of the army, Jandar; a rebelling noble called Halim, and a whole sequence involving a dragon….
                            There was also a red-haired servant lass called something like Moira; the commander of the women’s division of the army—Jocelyn—and the recent addition of Justin, a 20-year old (?) with a yet to be discovered purpose.
                            As yet, all I have is the characters. The original plot was kinda cliché, but there’s a lot of backstory and unanswered questions about my characters that will be put to good purpose.

👰🏻🦊💥
                            ENFJ-T. Arbitrary. Greet at your own risk. *trips on a rock*

Joy
                            @dekreel
                              • Total Posts: 2304

@waterlily  Ugh. I got a lot of terrible book blurbs, but hey, I’ll give it a shot.

I have this Dr Who fanfic novella about the Thirteenth generation of the Doctor and her companions Alfred and Kris. They are forced on to a planet to solve a riddle, but it turns out that the one who gave them the riddle is actually an evil monster who wants to ruthlessly rule the planet. Quite cliche.

When I was thirteen, I started writing a children’s series about a girl named Julia and her friends Jason and Victor having adventures together in the mountains, cave, forest, things like that. There really isn’t much more to be said about these. 😛

And the KPA. I’m pretty sure you know enough about it that I don’t have to tell you much about it (other than I have some really fun ideas that I’m really excited about).

*glances through folder with book blurbs*

Ohhh… X’D  Okay, so my cousin and I used to be crazy about penguins. So we started writing all these adventure stories about her and I and our twenty or so pet penguins having adventures together. Mine was quite… unrefined. XD Actually it’s not finished yet.

That’s pretty much it, other than endless other book ideas. Unless you count poems and songs…

You can pronounce it however you want.

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine
                                • Total Posts: 3322

@waterlily Finally I have time to actually sit down and write this whole thing out. 🙂

Well, now!  My “main” WIP is a contemporary western, which is hopefully going to be written with a type of plot and style very similar to the old westerns by such as Zane Grey and William MacLeod Raine, but which will be set in the present.  The protagonist is a nineteen-year-old girl who is very petite and lacks confidence because of that and for other reasons.  She goes out to Nevada to stay with her Uncle and Aunt and there meets some friends who own a ranch where they raise horses.  Pretty obvious main plot, where the horses are disappearing/stolen and she has to help her friends get them back, but some of the contemporary elements include a man living off the grid and a meet-cute with a guy at the bridge over Hoover Dam. 🙂  I’ve written a little bit, but mostly this is still in the planning stages.

Besides that I am working on a sequel to my time travel novel, which is set in contemporary time and in the 1880s, the seventh book in my children’s series, which will be kind of about an old couple hidden away in a treetop who compose an amazing piece of music…um…yeah. 😀 , and a his-fic short story set in the 50s about a girl singer who believes that because of the ill reputation attached to her profession no “nice” respectable people will ever want to know her.

So there you have it!  I think I am one of the only people here who has multiple WIPs but not a single one of which includes fantasy. (Nope, not even the children’s story.)  The closest I get is sci-fi. 😀

Possibly the only other one here who is like that would be @catwing ?

@daeus
                                The books @seekjustice writes are AMAZING!!!!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Grace H.
                                @gh24682468999
                                  • Total Posts: 199

@waterlily The mention of “WIP”s actually makes me feel pretty guilty because my major obstacle apart from surviving an academically vigorous school + extracurricular activities is to find time and motivation to write. (aka the projects below are dragging at snail pace).

But anyways… at the moment I have three major things I’m either writing or thinking through. The first one is about a girl called Cinzel (basically Cinderella + Rapunzel) and how she ends up rejecting Prince Charming because she realizes she’s not cut out to be queen. I don’t feel very strongly about it, but I’m trying for third person omniscient in John Flanagan’s style which is easy for me to write in even though it basically relies on telling, not showing. I’m shooting for 10,000 ish words and hope to complete the first draft by the end of March (the former is more likely than the latter).

My second one is called The Purple Velvet Secret Society and is about a popular high school freshman called Amethyst who is forced to join the Blue River Secret Society and help people against her wishes. It deals with the main theme of selfishness, although it originally started out as oppression/poverty and touches really strongly on friendship, so when I’m working on it I’m trying to tie that all together. Hopefully I can do NaNoWriMo on this idea, but its mostly floating out in my head at the moment.

I also have a fantasy “The Golden Carousel” one floating around in my head, but its not really a WIP yet, although I’ll try to write short stories on it soon.

It’s freeing to talk about them xD

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
                                  literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >