The Mind of a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

@The-Bean another INFP! Wow, we’re everywhere! 😀

Emma Flournoy
      @emma-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 1352

@Bluejay Well I hope I cry too. *sniff*

BlueJay
        @bluejay
          • Total Posts: 1622

Thank you for all the condolences. I need more tissues. I just killed another one of my characters. I’m so cruel. But I’ve just thought of a brilliant tie in that I can do at the end which will make this death a bit better, I guess. *sighs* Wars are ugly things.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

Yay for brilliant tie ins, @Bluejay. 😀

Corissa Maiden of Praise
            @corissa-maiden-of-praise
              • Total Posts: 256

The reality of our world is clearer seen through the unreality of imaginary worlds.

@Kate-Flournoy
              I love the wording you used here. @Hope once you’re done with NaNo, could you maybe possibly do a photo thing with this? It’s just too perfect.

And to answer your question, @Kate-Flournoy, I’ve not forgotten yet. Although it has gotten to the point that I generally just leave my backpack behind in the trunk, because not only knives but cell-phones and those kinds of things can set them off, so I’d be taking almost nothing in anyway. So hopefully I’ll never need to defend myself while I’m in a building like that. 😛 🙂

@Bluejay
              I’m glad I’m not one of your characters. X) I’m sure that their deaths will work out for the best in the end though. They almost always do. 😉 (And I hope to finish beta-reading your story within a week, so hopefully you’ll be getting that back soon. Sorry for the delay.)

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise *self-conscious cough* Erm… yesh. I can wax a bit too poetic now and then. 😛

Rosey Mucklestone
                @writefury
                  • Total Posts: 467

Just sort of on the imagination topic… how much do you guys make reference to something in real life that only you would get in your writings?
                  Like in my stuff, there are a ton of easter eggs I could list that only me or my family members would get.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

@Writefury hm… not often, actually. Probably because I write fantasy and scifi and such; completely out of the realm of reality. 😛
                    That’s really cute though.

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper
                      • Total Posts: 3515

@anne-of-lothlorien I’m afraid I haven’t had that problem, or whatever you want to call that. I really only talk to my stuff, and other people. My conversations are with my things. Its a good thing they never talk back, though, because that could get interesting.

@writefury
                      Well, my writing is littered with it, though I can use a sentence every now and then.

To all you Flanagan fans, does anyone else but me think that he and his family put honey in their coffee, just like Horace and Will? 😛 (Don’t do it Will! You were supposed to put sugar in the coffee, not honey!) (Anyone know what that reference is?)

@corissa-maiden-of-praise
                      I’m both scared and jealous at the same time…

@to those you answered my previous question @emma-flournoy @corissa-maiden-of-praise @daeus @kate-flournoy
                      Good points, all of you. I think that Emma and Kate hit it on for me. Besides, it’s just cool, and no one can deny that. And also, with historical fiction, I find that writers try to put too much emphasis on a moral or change in a character who doesn’t exist. Morals are good, but when there aren’t enough battles- mentally, spiritually or physically- I don’t like. But that’s my opinion, and it depends on the book.

@ethryndal
                      You may want to bring a sword for this topic…it’s not safe. At. All.

Welcome to the craziest corner of the Forumater @ethryndal @the-bean

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal
                        • Total Posts: 1013

@dragon-snapper My trusty bow is with me at all times, protecting me from topics that might addle the brain, or dragons that may seek to melt my chair or phone.

@writefury
                        I have a habit of making obscure references from my book that even my family doesn’t get because I think I’ve written it, but I really haven’t…they sometimes think I’ve lost my mind…which isn’t too far from the truth…

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

The Bean
                        @the-bean
                          • Total Posts: 65
                          SleepwalkingMK
                          @sleepwalkingmk
                            • Total Posts: 179

@dragon-snapper What do you mean when you say you like the battles better than the morals/change? I’m kind of confused 😛

So some more writer mind stuff. I was researching the fitness programs for the military so I could see how much my characters would be able to take (by the way, thanks @hope for your amazing blog, specifically the Trampling of Feet post–it really helped me with this). I also have this book called Warrior (well, it’s not technically mine, it’s just always in my room) that I had open on a page with the fighting tactics and habits of the Mongols. Some pretty weird/horrifying stuff in there. And then I had this thought as I was internally complaining about how this wouldn’t even make it into my book, so no one would know about all of it. All this research is a ton of work, but it’s not what I want to be remembered for. I want to be remembered for the stories I create, the magic I weave through them, and the emotions I unleash in the reader… not the hours I spent reading about ugly historical battles and unusual war tactics. And another thing: for a good story, all that work is worth it. 🙂

@writefury
                            Some of the dialogue I write comes from conversations in my family, and I sometimes reference books/movies we love, if that’s what you mean 🙂

A question: how do you guys get story ideas/ideas to add on to your story? I usually get them in pictures (I see a scene or character in my head) or through lines of dialogue that come to me. My novel ideas usually come from my head, but sometimes I see a prompt and get an idea of something cool to do with it.

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Daeus
                            @daeus
                              • Total Posts: 4238

@sleepwalkingmk I actually get most of my writing ideas from sermons. I tend to approach my stories by starting out with a very basic plot idea and then filling in the rest of it by coming at it from a thematic viewpoint. Sermons being filled with heaps of good thematic material, I tend to come away with lots of plot ideas.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

@Daeus ME TOO!! I didn’t think anybody else did that. 😛 Listening to a sermon has become practically hazardous for me now. I’ll get home and furiously race to scribble references and notes and possible foils and different thematic scenarios in my notebook.
                                And that has at least two other positives, completely aside from writing— it makes me pay more attention in church, and it helps me remember finer nuances of a certain theological point that mightn’t have otherwise stuck with me. Writing from the springboard of scripture has really, really taught me a lot.

@SleepwalkingMK
                                other than sermons, I usually just find inspiration in my everyday surroundings or my normal (ha— ‘normal’) thoughts. Writing in the truest sense is about life, and since I’m always living I find ample material right at my fingertips. I suppose it could be hard to get in the habit of thinking of everything as a story—though I can’t even remember when it wasn’t like that for me— but once you do you’ll be swamped with ideas. Most of them probably won’t go much of anywhere by themselves, but they could be woven in with other stories, and occasionally you will get a doozy of an idea that just screams to be written.
                                I’ve had two of those in the last three days. *scowls* Which is inconvenient, as I already have eleven— no, twelve books to write before I can get to ’em. *sigh* Sometimes inspiration is wonderful. Sometimes it’s just… yeah. Won-der-ful. 😛 😉

BlueJay
                                @bluejay
                                  • Total Posts: 1622

@kate-flournoy If you ever want to share some of those wonderful ideas, feel free. *smiles* 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 327 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >