The Mind of a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Corissa Maiden of Praise
    @corissa-maiden-of-praise
      • Total Posts: 256

@Kate-Flournoy I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand the question… you mean you quote your characters and other people don’t get it because the book isn’t published yet?

Here’s a question @anne-of-lothlorien requested I ask, word for word.

“Have you ever asked your imaginary counterpart in your mind why you talk to him/her? I did the other day, and answered, “For the same reason you talk to yourself when I’m not here.” 😛 😀

She hopes to return to the Kingdom for a brief time on Friday and wanted that question asked before then.

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

Emma Flournoy
      @emma-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 1352

@Daeus Ciaran doesn’t want to watch anything about the king of anything unless that king is Dolan. He’s…yeah. And you can give YouTube?? Wow.
        Personally though, I think the cabin guests would rather just call us…like they do. Same or less amount of time, especially if you don’t have wifi in your cabin. 😛

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus well he was really minor so that’s no surprise. And you didn’t pick on him, so really, he doesn’t dislike you.
          Which is the closest he ever gets to liking anyone. So you’re gonna be fine, I promise. He hates me, and that’s… interesting.

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise
          I meant more, have you ever just flat out said ‘”Such and such a character said this to me yesterday, and it was so unexpected I just didn’t know what to do, and then he took the scene right out of my hands and started writing it for me, which is just… whatever.” *stares around at all blankly staring members of the immediate group* “What?!”

I don’t think I have ever asked that, no. 😛

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy *hands you WD-40* Here, spray this all over yourself. He’ll like you then.

I’m really sorry about that, by the way. If you want me to have a talk with him, I can.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
            @bluejay
              • Total Posts: 1622

@kate-flournoy Well, I’m not sure I’ve ever said it like that, but I was weeping yesterday because I had just killed one of my characters. I hated doing it, but he kinda just made it happen. It was who he was. When I had finished writing it, I wanted to delete that part and bring him back, but I’m not sure Enrst would be too pleased with me. Oh well, he died for a worthy cause. But still…*tears gather in eyes* He was so…so…selfless. *cries* I’ve never cried at one of my stories before so this is so weird and new.

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

Corissa/Anne I don’t know if I’ve ever asked myself that question. I might have. I ask myself a lot of questions, but can’t generally remember them.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy

Nope, we’re good. *grins*

See @Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise, this is what I’m talking about. Talking like this in front of normal people— like they know about the people inside your head and actually believe they’re as real as they are to you. 😀

@Bluejay
                  well now you’re stuck. Tears are the point of no return. Hope you never had any delusions about escaping this net. Welcome to the real world. Glad to have you. 😉

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
                  Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@Bluejay There there. It’s going to be all right. *hands you tissues*

BlueJay
                    @bluejay
                      • Total Posts: 1622

@emma-flournoy I’m not sure it is going to be all right. He’s DEAD. *weeps harder* Just wait till you read it. I’ll have you all crying buckets of tears. At least I hope. I mean it would be dreadful if Ernst died and you didn’t shed even one tear.

@kate-flournoy
                      Thanks for the warm welcome. I’m not sure I like the real world. You know it’s kinda weird because the real world is where our characters aren’t that real, but then we enter the writer’s world where are characters are people just like us and then when something happens in that world we get to the real world of writing and emotions. So strange.

Corissa Maiden of Praise
                        • Total Posts: 256

@Kate-Flournoy Well, “normal” is a relative term… 😛

Yeah, that’s kind of happened to me before. I talk about my characters every once in a while, and about whether or not so and so should die or if I want this person’s best friend to be courting this person’s brother or a different random guy, or whether that character should die or just lose a limb or something… and when I do, it’s just the stares of “seriously, you’re thinking about that right now? Time to live in the real world, girl.” 😛

Yeah. But generally I only talk about that kind of stuff with other writers, so it doesn’t happen too often.

But it does happen. 😉

I will say that I probably get the most stares over the amount of weapons I carry and my strange fascination with weapons. I almost always have two pocket knives about me someplace and a hunting knife with an 8 inch blade and hollow handle containing fishing hook, matches, sewing kit, etc., in my backpack. Then there’s the odds and ends multi-tools with various sharp attachments in different compartments in my backpack… let me tell you, I’ve gotten quite the stares from my family when I’ve had to disarm myself because we were going somewhere with a metal detector. 😀

@Bluejay
                        *consoles you* Yes, I’m currently having a bitter struggle because I know that one person in a small group during a mission in my WIP dies, and I’m having a hard time figuring out who it is. I say “figuring out” because I’m sure that my sub-conscious already knows and I’m just fighting it. That’s going to be the hardest scene to write, I think.

"Courage is action in spite of fear."

SleepwalkingMK
                        @sleepwalkingmk
                          • Total Posts: 179

@kate-flournoy Oh my goodness. I have fire eyes. *grins*

I haven’t asked my characters that in particular, but here’s a similar encounter I recorded from one of our conversations:
                          Me: Is there a specific thing you wanted to talk to me about?
                          Naomi: No, I’m just here for the sake of being annoying.
                          Me: I hate how much like me you are.
                          Naomi: And who’s to blame for that?

Oh yes. If I’m deep in thought about my novels at the table and my dad asks me what I’m thinking about (which he does quite often when I’m deep in thought), my exact thought is, “I don’t think you want to know what I’m thinking about.” 😛

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

You know it’s kinda weird because the real world is where our characters aren’t that real, but then we enter the writer’s world where are characters are people just like us and then when something happens in that world we get to the real world of writing and emotions. So strange.

@Bluejay
                            YES. And that, dear girl, is the reason I write. The reality of our world is clearer seen through the unreality of imaginary worlds. It is so wonderful.

@SleepwalkingMK
                            AAHHHH!!! I get the ‘what are you thinking about?’ ‘I don’t think you want to know’ all the TIME! The worst is, apparently my subconscious has a way of creeping out and doing weird things with my face when I’m not paying attention, and so often people stare at me with very strange looks and go ‘What’s so funny?’
                            And I’m like ‘I’m not smiling!’
                            And they shake their heads and say ‘Yes you are— you’re grinning like a monkey.’
                            And then I realize that I am, and it’s… awkward. Because half the things I find funny nobody else would without a ton of backstory and explanation, which nobody else wants to listen to. 😛

@Corissa-Maiden-of-Praise
                            that is hilarious about all your weapons. Ever forgotten any and freaked out a security guard?

Ethryndal
                            @ethryndal
                              • Total Posts: 1013

*pokes head cautiously into forum*

FINALLY! I’ve found my kind of people!!!

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

The Bean
                              @the-bean
                                • Total Posts: 65

Me too, @ethryndal! Though I don’t have much time to get into this conversation… too bad.

By the way, infp speaking here, and psychology is one of the subjects for which I have a deep fascination. If you guys have any questions, I will gladly share some of my knowledge on the subject with you if you ask.

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1486

@bluejay I am so sorry. *gives hug and box of tissues* 🙁

@the-bean
                                  your an INFP too? YEA that makes three on the forum that I’ve counted so far! WORLD DOMINATION FOR THE INFPs!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 327 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >