The Mind of a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

@Bluejay wha—??? BUT THEY’RE MY IDEAS!!! *selfishly hoards them all*

Okay, okay… I’ll keep you in mind, Tessa. 😉 Carry a notebook with you though. Seriously. I’ve passed someone on the street before, been struck by the look in their eyes, and within five minutes had a complete character profile sketched out in my head.

Also please tell me I’m not the only person who enjoys waving at people in other cars while we drive, or smiling up at the drivers of the big semis when they stare down at our huge van in astonishment…

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

@kate-flournoy Thanks. Hmm…I’ll have to start this notebook carrying. It seems like a good idea.

No you’re not the only one, Kate. I don’t do it all the time, but when my sister got married we had white ribbons on the car and everyone waved at us or gave us a thumbs up. It was lots of fun.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy Yeah, I guess writing is almost a bible study tool. I’m not sure it helps me concentrate though. I’m likely to be distracted memorizing my ideas so that I won’t forget them. It was really bad when I got the first two lines of my “On I comes a Dwappaling” poem strike me out of nowhere during a sermon and I kept repeating them to myself for the next half hour.

I don’t wave at drivers, but I do look every driver I see on the road in the eyes. Often, they’ll turn to look back. I wonder if I’m a road hazard.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@Daeus yes, I can see how that would be awful. 😛 I guess it would be truer to say it motivates me to pay better attention and not just drift off into aimless dreaming, because then I might miss something.

And that is hilarious. You probably are a road hazard, but if you are we can be road hazards together because I do the same thing. Once I smiled at a glum, handicapped older man driving the car next to us, and for the next ten minutes down the road he would fall back, then pull up again and wave, and I would smile and wave back, and he would fall back, then pull up and do it again… funny how just a smile can turn somebody’s day around. 😀

Daeus
            @daeus

Ha! That’s awesome!

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anne of Lothlorien
              @anne-of-lothlorien
                • Total Posts: 440

@Daeus – I wonder if my little brother is the same MBTI type as yours. He calls me and my two little sisters, ‘Honey.’ And he’s TWO years old! The other day my five-year-old sister was working on her writing lesson and my little brother took the pen and said, “Honey, Honey, let me show how to do.” he has a very extensive vocabulary. And I’ve added to it. He’ll say ‘peoples’, like “I need help peoples” or “Time for dinna peoples”

@corissa-maiden-of-praise
                – One time we were at a big library and I walked through an archway. Immediately an alarm sounded. This security guycame out and said, “Empty your pockets.” I could literally see his eyes get big as a I proceeded to pull out three knives, one flashlight with a laser pointer, one multi-tool, and a carabiner (how do you spell that?) with shoelace tied to it to make an oversized fishhook/pickupanythingthatyoudroppedinwaterorbeyondyourreach tool. It was so funny! Yah, that’s what I normally carry around. Plus my wallet and a piece of candy.

@sleepwalkingmk
                – That’s so funny that we’re almost exactly the same, except for the crying. How old are you? I’m 14.

@rolena-hatfield
                – As a writer, I tend to focus on the characters more, so sometimes I find holes in my plot cause i was so wrapped up in the people. And I never write outlines for my book. Ever. I had enough of outlines last year in 9th grade English.

@emma-flournoy
                – Maybe you have something slightly wrong with your lungs if it hurts your chest. After I had bronchitis, (terrible, don’t ever get it) I swam with @corissa-maiden-of-praise at a celebration for her brother’s birthday. It hurt my chest to swim a lot, and I couldn’t hold my breath very well.

@ethryndal
                – Welcome to the bestiestiestest place EVER. Ever, ever, ever. Seriously, I have not enjoyed myself on the internet more in a long time. And this is the best thread ever.

@kate-flournoy
                – I wave at other people in cars, and smile too. One time there was this one teenager who was wearing headphones, but looking at me. So I waved at him and he saluted back at me! And another time there was a little girl who held up a doll and waved it’s hand at me. That was adorable.

@dragon-snapper
                – Where you the one that asked this question? I think as a writer that I like writing fantasy because 1. There are basically no rules. 2. I get to be the creator of an entire world 3. Like Corissa said it’s the appeal of stuff that never happens to us, but still is adventurous, and epic. I’m actually terrible at writing about real life, even thought that’s what i live every day. I escape to fantasy writing to literally be the author of the universe. I make the laws, there’s pretty much nothing I have to comply with (like @Daeus mentioned) and most of all, it’s easier to believe like someone else on here said. I can believe in fantasy more than historical fiction because hi-fi is just a little disappointing at the end when you remember that none of these people existed.

Yesterday I was writing down description for my NANOWRIMO MC, Gwen, and I wrote this.
                “Should she wear headbands? Maybe, unless she has really short hair. Well, decide on her hair. I can’t until I see her face more clearly. You’re an odd one. Well so are you, so that makes us a perfect pair. And I did this once too. I was eating lunch at our church and thinking about my novella, Dawn. One of my friends, a young man who will remain unnamed (quiet @corissa-maiden-of-praise I know you know) came by my table and waved a hand in my face. I guess I looked spaced out. He jokingly said, “Where are you?” SO I responded, “In Adelbrook, Kenning. You knew where I was.”
                He just gave me a weird look and walked away. It wasn’t utnil he left that I realized what I’d said.

So here’s a question for y’all. Your bad guys, do they tend to be more completely evil-spirit-thingy, like Sauron, or the White Witch, or human, still with flaws, faults, and at rare points, even human compulsions like compassion, mercy, and even, dare I say it, love? I tend to write more human people. Two I can think of are Lord Xenos, from Dawn, and Jasper from my WIP, Fourth Rule.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Anne of Lothlorien
                @anne-of-lothlorien

Oh I forgot to tag people for my question.

@Daeus
                  @hope @corissa-maiden-of-raise @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @sarah-h @his-instrument @the-bean @sleepwalkingmk @rolena-hatfield @ethryndal @Bluejay @dragon-snapper @writefury

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Anne of Lothlorien
                  @anne-of-lothlorien

@corissa-maiden-of-praise. Yerpy.

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

@Anne-of-Lothlorien human, definitely. They’re so much more interesting.

Daeus
                      @daeus

@anne-of-lothlorien I tend to write the more human, complex villains and I’m moving even more in that direction.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 1352

Also please tell me I’m not the only person who enjoys waving at people in other cars while we drive, or smiling up at the drivers of the big semis when they stare down at our huge van in astonishment…

@Kate-Flournoy
                          Nope. You isn’t. 😀 😛
                          Isn’t it so fun when you can get them to smile back, guys?

@Anne-of-Lothlorien
                          I don’t write books—I read them. 😀 And analyze them. I prefer the human villains. And it sounded so funny when you said ‘I tend to write more human people.’ 😀 A little redundant, what?

Snapper
                          @dragon-snapper
                            • Total Posts: 3515

@anne-of-lothlorien Definitely human. I feel that they can be more complex and rounded that way, not just an average badguy.
                            And about your lunch, that is hilarious! Although it’s probably not something I would do, it’s still funny. I’d probably say something snappy (hence Dragon Snapper). And yes, I did ask the question, and I can hardly write in modern ages. My writing doesn’t seem to go half as smoothly as it does in medieval fiction. I’m trying to do better, but it’s simply not working as well as I’d like.

@emma-flournoy
                            I know I haven’t been keeping up with this whole swimming thing, but I know that pressure change has a lot to do with it. If you think about it, that’s a lot of pounds of water on your back, and it can make anybody hurt. (trust me, I know.)

@bluejay
                            @kate-flournoy Yes, notebook carrying!!! I can’t go anywhere without one. For sure, I will bring a notebook with me instead of a wallet. Granted, I usually bring it all together in this saddlebag that is super awesome, but it’s really helpful. Especially if you get a sudden idea, and then I know I’ll forget it if I don’t write it down.

@ethryndal
                            … Heh. I’ll bear that in mind… 😀 …

@sleepwalkingMK
                            What I meant by that was that I’m a ‘heat of the action’ person. (Anyone else) If there isn’t action, I get bored. I’m a ‘please show, don’t tell’ person. I like the morals, and I am dearly trying to incorporate that into my stories, but I think that it there is too much of it, it tends to be boring and passive. In other words, it needs to be handled well, and if it’s not, then I turn into a very picky dragon. So, I would have no problem if there was a very annoying character who then sacrificed himself in battle for someone else. THAT would be very good, but if he the mind process is too much (you know, when you see the characters thoughts in italics) that it turns into something less than what it should be. Does that make any sense???
                            Here, I’ll sum up. I like the change. Change should be at the heart of every story, because that is our story in Christ. However, I like stories that have more than a thought process. Show don’t tell. 😉 *read over post* *finds it less than a good explanation* UUUMMM… I’m going to use Star Wars to explain this. There needs to be a balance in the force. Enough of the change and enough of the battles. Too many battles, and it turns into a book where everyone is beating each other senseless. Too much change, then there is nothing to keep me hooked. I think maybe you might’ve misunderstood me, but don’t worry, I can be confusing. Emoji’s don’t explain everything, do they? Even still, I didn’t explain anything very well, now did I? 😛
                            Just by reading this, all of you can tell that I am an extremely picky reader… As a writer, I don’t read as many books as I should. Am I the only one???? *crosses talons in desperate hope*
                            And @sleepwalkingMK I get ideas in all sorts of ways. A flash of a scene. A picture. A movie. Usually movies. Words in my head. In a book format. On a word document. All the ways. Then, I elaborate on it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anne of Lothlorien
                            @anne-of-lothlorien

@emma-flournoy – True about human people. Hee hee. I mean my evil is not a presence/spirit, but a real person with the qualities that human’s normally have.

@kate-flournoy
                              @Daeus – It is so much more interesting to write complex people for villains. @hope had a writing prompt on twitter or pinterest about a villain who is working undercover in a rebellion against himself because he doesn’t want to rule anymore. Genius.

Anyone on here, you should really check out @writefury ‘s blog, writefury.wordpress.com She has THE MOST AWESOMEST serial story EVER! Blank Mastermind is the title or as I put it The Most Funniest Gut-Wrenching Awesomest Greatest Thing Ever Story. Don’t read in the middle though. Start at the beginning. You all peoples should read it. @everyone @Daeus @sarah-h @dragon-snapper @Bluejay @sleepwalkingmk @the-bean @ethryndal @Mark-Kamibaya @Emma-flournoy did your sister get you on it?

The Bean
                              @the-bean
                                • Total Posts: 65

@anne-of-lothlorien my evil guys tend to not be that evil at all. Most, no, actually all my bad guys are very human, very believable. Most of my characters are created to be as believable as possible, overflowing with flaws and strengths.
                                About the Blank Mastermind, I’ll check it out once I have time. Time to write now.

Hope Ann
                                @hope
                                  • Total Posts: 1092

@anne-of-lothlorien I so want to read a book like that. And, if no one writes it, I may have to undertake the task myself. Someday. 😉

As for my bad guys, I like to make them quite bad and yet human at the same time. I want the readers to be able to see why they made the choices they did, and how the choices got them to where they are now. And…generally they have some sort of tragic backstory, but then most characters do, don’t they?

I think part of the interest in making a bad guy understandable and human, even while clearly bad, is that it will make the readers realize that anyone can be bad. It’s not like some people are born villains and some born heroes. Tragedy can (and probably does) happen to both of them, but it is how they deal with the pain, and on who they relay (God, themselves, etc.) which affect what the pain turns them into.

And now, to offer something of my own to this thread instead of just reading everyone else’s comments, what sorts of costumes do you have? I have a cloak, a cape, a princess dress, a sword…I’m not sure what all I have. But I’m hoping to go outside and have my sister take pictures of me in a few costume arrangements later. 😉 We shall see how it goes. Maybe I can upload some later if I get some good ones.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 327 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >