Resources for Writing Mental Illnesses/Disorders/Disabilities

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Resources for Writing Mental Illnesses/Disorders/Disabilities

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Folith-Feolin
    @folith-feolin
      • Total Posts: 310

@any

what’s funny is that in language arts class we have been looking at PTSD hence why we recently read the rite and talked about slaughterhouse 5 and we just had a quiz on it today.

Gwyndalf the Wise
      @gwyndalf-the-wise
        • Total Posts: 404

@godlyfantasy12 @folith-feolin

Oh, okay thanks!

@anyone who’s interested

Here is the digital form of the DSM-5. It is a diagnostic tool most commonly used in America. It has all the official criteria for a lot of disorders. However, some subtypes of disorders are not listed. (like C-PTSD, if I remember correctly.)

Content Warning(s): I think as long as you know what the disorders entail you’ll be fine. However, I would advise skipping to the sections that talk about the specific disorder you’re looking for just in case (and also it’s reeeeeeally long).

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10r_oUv_fZXQ4jUVXQC-4UnMdaneR3TD5/view

An alternative would be the ICD-11, but I as I haven’t read that one, I won’t recommend it. (Not saying it’s bad, it’s not.) The only things I know about it is that it has the same purpose as the DSM-5 and it’s the most commonly used diagnostic tool outside of the USA.

I’m just putting this out there in case people are interested, I won’t be offended if you’re not or are uncomfortable reading it. =)

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
        (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

Otherworldly Historian
        @otherworldlyhistorian
          • Total Posts: 217

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Cool. This seems very useful. I remembered my language arts teacher mentioning it but I couldn’t find it. Thanks.

Through darkness,
          light shines brightest

Gwyndalf the Wise
          @gwyndalf-the-wise

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the DSM-5 isn’t in a Christian point of view (like most psychology) so, beware of weird ideology…

@mineralizedwritings
            @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @freedomwriter76 @anyone else if they’re interested

I’ve finally gotten around to talking about my characters, so here they are!

(I’m going to warn you now that I do use quite a few tropes in my story, some of them may be considered overused… but I like them, so I don’t really want to change them.
            I’m also working on the logistics of several things listed in here so they may or may not be vague.)

Teilo O’Muirynn (insert adoptive last name that I haven’t decided yet) is my MC. I’m 99% sure he would be diagnosed with autism level 1. He has excessive anxiety that does effect his daily life. I know he has an anxiety disorder of some type, but I’m struggling to figure out if it’s Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Seperation Anxiety Disorder, or PTSD or a combination of them.

For context, he’s an ex-prince who is sent to live with a friend of his dad’s. He’s disinherited, but although that has impacted him, that’s not his greatest concern.

His biggest fears are not being able to protect the people he cares about, failing others, hurting others (particularly on accident), and that his life is pointless.

In the story he has to learn to overcome his fears and need for control with the help of the Lord (don’t have a name for Him in this story yet). And while he’ll struggle in the end of the story, he’ll learn that the Lord’s grace is sufficient for him and he can rely on Him for everything.

Gwyndalf the Wise
            @gwyndalf-the-wise

@otherworldlyhistorian

You’re welcome! Glad it helped.

Gwyndalf the Wise
              @gwyndalf-the-wise

@anyone

Here’s the DSM-5, which is a diagnostic tool that has all the criteria of multiple mental disorders.

Content Warnings: I don’t think there’s anything to warn about as long as you know what the disorders entail. I’d skip to the section that talks about whatever disorder you’re interested in, though. It’s reeeeally long. It’s not going to have certain subtypes of things either, I don’t think it has all the types of PTSD.

Link:https://drive.google.com/file/d/10r_oUv_fZXQ4jUVXQC-4UnMdaneR3TD5/view

An alternative would be the ICD-11. Not going to link something I haven’t read, though. You can look at it if you want to. It has the same purpose as the DSM-5.

Let me know if I need to clarify something about these, this is the fourth time I’ve written this post *continues glaring at post-eating monster* so I don’t know what all I’ve skipped in frustration.

I’m just putting this out here, won’t be offended if you don’t use it. =)

Gwyndalf the Wise
                @gwyndalf-the-wise

@everyone

Sorry for the repeat, don’t know how that happened…

Esther
                  @esther-c
                    • Total Posts: 3205

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Your story sounds really interesting!! I’d love to hear more about it! Are you ever planning to share it on KP?

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Gwyndalf the Wise
                    @gwyndalf-the-wise

@esther-c

Aw, thanks! I’m planning to, so I can keep myself accountable. =) I have a hard time writing otherwise. I’m working on things to share with y’all on characters today as my crazy writing for today’s sprint.

I’ll probably post it on the Charrie Chat topic, or make a new one (this depends if I end up working on worldbuilding too, if that happens I’ll just make the new one and lump it all together).

GodlyFantasy12
                      @godlyfantasy12
                        • Total Posts: 6645

Writing to bring this topic back towards the front

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                        #ProtectMarcel
                        #ProtectSeb

Folith-Feolin
                        @folith-feolin
                          • Total Posts: 310

@godlyfantasy12

oooooo

Thread necromancy 🧙🧙🧙🧙

GodlyFantasy12
                          @godlyfantasy12

SO, I’ve discovered that Corvina DOES NOT have DID, though it would seem like she does. I have looked into it, along with Schizophrenia, and other Dissociative Disorders and couldn’t find one that related to her.

DID is not what she has, because while she does seem to have an alternate self in truth it almost leans towards the imaginary friend type of person. Her inner self, not someone that ever actually switches with her or that she becomes (people with DID do switch between their personalities, Corvina doesn’t do this, though she does heed her “shadow’s” advice sometimes)

I have discovered that actually, along with c-PTSD she has Psychosis, due to trauma from childhood.

Psychosis is a symptom of DID, Schizophrenia, etc, and so it would be easy to see Corvina coming across as having one of these, and if she were real probably being diagnosed with one, but in truth she doesn’t have either.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                            #ProtectMarcel
                            #ProtectSeb

LoopyLin
                            @loopylin
                              • Total Posts: 2027

@godlyfantasy12

Yeah, DID is pretty rare (though probably not rare enough) because it only forms in people who were repeatedly abused as children (I think between the ages of 7 and 12? I can’t remember), while their brains were still developing.

Corvina is probably pretty hard to diagnose because her shadow is magical/fantasy. I think sometimes it’s actually better to not worry about diagnosing a character, and instead let the readers try to figure it out themselves. (Not saying that you shouldn’t, just that it’s ok if you aren’t able to.)

Btw, I love Corvina. She’s such a cool character. 🖤

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

GodlyFantasy12
                              @godlyfantasy12

@loopylin thank you!! Yea…she was abused as a child (as was November mentally and verbally, and Paxton mentally, verbally and physically)

And I thought she had DID but upon researching it realized she did not.

And yes it is a bit more difficult due to it being fantasy…

it’s a bit like a Golem/Sméagol situation except he does have a sort of DID situation but yea

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                #ProtectMarcel
                                #ProtectSeb

Whaley
                                @whalekeeper
                                  • Total Posts: 2599

Okay, I can’t get around it any longer… @freedomwriter76 I need your help, please! You’re the expert on PTSD, I think.

I’m typically pretty wary about adding mental disorders to characters, because obviously, mental problems do not equal a complex character. But I just created a character – literally, like just an hour ago – and he’s to go through a very traumatic event.

~ Warning for sensitive people, mention of a fatal car accident ~

Jeremiah is alone in the middle of abandoned rural farmland. Unexpectedly, a truck loses control and, narrowly missing him, slips into a lake on the side of the road. Jeremiah tries to save the driver – a young teen boy – but the boy is already lost underwater.

My question is, is it possible for a person with PTSD to feel so responsible for something, that they feel like they have to relive the event in their mind? Like the reliving is a responsibility, and is a way to make up for it?

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >