Resources for Writing Mental Illnesses/Disorders/Disabilities

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Resources for Writing Mental Illnesses/Disorders/Disabilities

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@otherworldlyhistorian

Yes actually, that is what Corvina has a bit of, DIS, except its not exactly diagnosed because it’s fantasy and there’s other things involved, and she can be healed by the Lord.

November also has a bit of this. But same as Corvina it’s not diagnosed, and it’s not technically that or anything…I just kinda see it as similar, but that’s not what it is.

It is a literal shadow sort of, but also one they’ve created in a way, but also has to do with who they are and their being chosen.

So like when Satan tempts us/attacks us, but also our own doubts and downfalls.

So it’s how their “Shattering” manifests (as I mentioned in the Castle RP chat)

But anyway, yes researching into that would definitely help because it very much looks/related to DIS. So I will check out that article!

@lightoverdarkness6
      @mineralizedwritings @sarafini @gwyndalf-the-wise

So my characters have a mixture of different issues, but most all of them have a form of anxiety or depression, but of course it varies and shows itself in different ways because each person is different.

Some of them do have PTSD, and that’s not a term to just be tossed around loosely. (Not saying you guys are 😊)

It means post-traumatic stress disorder 

Meaning of it is: a condition of persistent mental and emotional stress occurring as a result of injury or severe psychological shock, typically involving disturbance of sleep and constant vivid recall of the experience, with dulled responses to others and to the outside world.

I don’t want to throw the term around loosely and don’t want anyone of y’all to feel I am, but I do sincerely feel that most of my MCs do sincerely have this.

However it is more severe for some.

For instance, Paxton.

Paxton has PTSD, due to the abuse he has suffered since birth (and I’m not going to get into it all, I’ve made a forum on the topic of abuse, just to exchange any tips if anyone needs to. And this also includes toxic parents, etc)

This PTSD can be very severe. He has nightmares, panic attacks, vivid recall and memories, triggers, and sometimes the PTSD even resembles autism (because it can do that.)

But I have another character who has PTSD, named Ara, and it is only due to one event in her life, as a child. And this event causes nightmares and recall, and eventually she does slowly get past this, (though sometimes it will creep back in)

So severity will vary.

Another thing to keep in mind is how the character react and show their stress.

This can also help show each characters original voice.

Another example from my characters.

I have a very emotionally unstable character, he’s actually an animal. Most of y’all know him, it’s Nyx. He has a bit of PTSD, and he can react to it in a multitude of ways.

He either gets depressed, just…completely off. Lost in his thoughts.

Or, he gets violent. Reckless. This is usually his go to.

However, Jocelyn, who shares similar triggers due to having the sharing the same event with him, will often become thoughtful and pondering. Quiet.

These are the things that can show the differences between characters.

Idk, I hope that makes sense and I hope I’m doing this right too…. Someone probably knows better then me but yea 😅

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Otherworldly Historian
      @otherworldlyhistorian
        • Total Posts: 217

@godlyfantasy12

I agree with you and think you will do a good job. Also I think that what you have going for November and Corvina seems cool as it seems to be also tied into the bigger storyline.

Through darkness,
        light shines brightest

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings
          • Total Posts: 2794

@godlyfantasy12

Yeah poor Paxton! I can understand why he has lasting issues 😥

へびは かっこいい です!

Folith-Feolin
          @folith-feolin
            • Total Posts: 310

@mineralizedwritings @sarafini @lightoverdarkness6 @gwyndalf-the-wise @godlyfantasy12

I would highly recommend reading slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut for helping with understanding PTSD if you have the time. (I will mention here that the book is probably for like 16+ for language violence and some references to inappropriate things so If you don’t what’s to read it for those reasons or don’t have the time then crash course has got you covered.

(There is a pat two to this episode)

I would also recommend reading the Rite by Takenishi Hiroko which our language arts class recently read

Folith-Feolin
            @folith-feolin

Also crash course psychology is useful

https://thecrashcourse.com/topic/psychology/

Folith-Feolin
              @folith-feolin

on the topic of ptsd this episode might be helpful

GodlyFantasy12
                @godlyfantasy12

@folith-feolin yeaaa I won’t be reading that book 😅 and I probably won’t be watching the vid just to be honest either just because I have to be careful what I watch and read especially rn….

But thank u! I’ll try out the article 😊

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                  #ProtectMarcel
                  #ProtectSeb

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings
                    • Total Posts: 2794

@folith-feolin

Sorry I don’t think I can read/watch any of that, I’m just a bit too sensitive 😅

I’m able to have some related stuff in my story anyways because it’s mostly just a much more severe versions of stuff I’ve experienced, so it isn’t really disturbing to me for that reason.

へびは かっこいい です!

Gwyndalf the Wise
                    @gwyndalf-the-wise
                      • Total Posts: 404

@mineralizedwritings

Thanks!!! I’m super excited about it myself, It’s like a dream character arc for me to work on!

You’re welcome! I just love character arcs that leave you with hope and your characters’ arcs seem very hopeful so yay.

I like getting to relate to the characters issues, but also I’m super excited to write Kaine coming through as a great friend. Kendrick on the other hand, doesn’t really want a friend 😂 he thinks Kaine’s just in his way XD It’s a moment in his character arc, because he realizes Everly has long forgiven Kendrick. Also, that previous him would have never believed he would go through so much effort to rescue this person. (still lots of work to figure it out though)

Aaaaaah I love them already XD

Oh yeah… Keiryn’s mom. Maybe she has a reason for thinking that way? Idk, I’m not planning on doing her backstory, but I’m sure it’s rooted somewhere.

Everyone has a reason for something, even if they can’t easily identify it. Still though, poor Keiryn!

Yup! The best form of communication! I’ll be looking forwards to it when you have the time! 🙂

Yeah, I’ll be doing it tomorrow, as my brain is fried, since the peoples stayed for four hours.

Yeah, siblings. I’m that sibling XD my sister isn’t super annoying, but I am. In a good way though XD I tease her about guys on a frequent basis. 😂🤣

Sisters are the best. So are brothers, but in a different way. XD I think most siblings would tease each other at some point. I don’t have the problem about teasing about possible romance because they know I can tease them just as much and more when their time comes… XDXDXD

@otherwordly-historian

I have noticed you guys using it (PTSD) a lot and (trying not to be offensive) am not sure if you all know what it actually is.

None taken. I have researched it a bit (I haven’t researched it as much, recently) and know someone who has it, but that by no means makes me an expert on the subject.

I have added a link to an American Psychiatry Association article on it (I don’t think there would be any content warnings I need to add)

Thanks for sharing!

@sarafini

I personally bottle stuff up so I have a character who does that as well.

Ah. I struggled with that for awhile. Still do, sort of.

Oops. Went on a tangent about my own life when this is supposed to be characters lives. Oh well. Just giving you a bit of background into why my characters suffer as they do, I guess. Lol.

No worries! And yeah, I get you. The current story I’m working on, parts of it (characters and fears they have and things they struggle with) was me processing things that happened in my life.

@mineralizedwritings

It’s always super interesting to me how life stuff gets into our writing.

Indeed it tis.

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
                      (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

GodlyFantasy12
                      @godlyfantasy12

@mineralizedwritings that’s understandable, I probably won’t be reading/watching it either.

I do like the article from historian however about the personality disorder…I saved it for later XD

and thank u both, Folith and Historian!

(hope u don’t take offense Folith!)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                        #ProtectMarcel
                        #ProtectSeb

Gwyndalf the Wise
                        @gwyndalf-the-wise
                          • Total Posts: 404

@godlyfantasy12

Yes actually, that is what Corvina has a bit of, DIS, except its not exactly diagnosed because it’s fantasy and there’s other things involved, and she can be healed by the Lord.

Same, my story is also a fantasy and they don’t have specific terms/labels to diagnose people with.

Some of them do have PTSD, and that’s not a term to just be tossed around loosely. (Not saying you guys are 😊)

Don’t worry, I didn’t take it that way. =) And 100% agree, we shouldn’t toss things around loosely.

I don’t want to throw the term around loosely and don’t want anyone of y’all to feel I am, but I do sincerely feel that most of my MCs do sincerely have this.

Honestly, from what I’ve read about your characters and the things they go through, it’s very probable they have PTSD. And just so you know, I don’t think you’re taking it lightly and (as far as I’ve read of your writing) have addressed well. =)

Paxton has PTSD, due to the abuse he has suffered since birth (and I’m not going to get into it all, I’ve made a forum on the topic of abuse, just to exchange any tips if anyone needs to. And this also includes toxic parents, etc)

This PTSD can be very severe. He has nightmares, panic attacks, vivid recall and memories, triggers, and sometimes the PTSD even resembles autism (because it can do that.)

Yeah, it can. It can also be really confusing if the character has both (not saying Paxton does). Does he have C-PSTD?

Another thing to keep in mind is how the character react and show their stress.

Indeed. I find this most helpful in differenciating character voices, regardless if they have any of these things.

Idk, I hope that makes sense and I hope I’m doing this right too…. Someone probably knows better then me but yea 😅

It does, thanks for your input!

@folith-feolin

I appreciate your input, personally I probably won’t read it or watch the videos. (I can’t handle a lot of things over PG-13 well, and even some of those are too much)

I’ll read the psychology article, though. Thanks!

@mineralizedwritings

I’m able to have some related stuff in my story anyways because it’s mostly just a much more severe versions of stuff I’ve experienced, so it isn’t really disturbing to me for that reason.

SAME. (I think I need a synonym for that word now, XD)

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
                          (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

GodlyFantasy12
                          @godlyfantasy12

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Hate to say this but I don’t know what C-PTSD is but I’m about to go find out!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                            #ProtectMarcel
                            #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                            @godlyfantasy12

Wow just looked it up and yes I do believe Paxton has C-PTSD, and now I’m curious to look up any other types of PTSD, if there are any.

I believe Nyx might have something similar to this, but maybe not I’m not sure. I just know it’s made him very distrustful (tho he was already a bit distrustful before)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                              #ProtectMarcel
                              #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                              @godlyfantasy12

@gwyndalf-the-wise @lightoverdarkness6 @mineralizedwritings @sarafini

Here y’all go! I found this article and these are five forms of stress/PTSD that can occur. And u can find out which u believe ur character has and research it individually!

No warnings needed except there’s one mention of something but I don’t even know if it’s anything to warn about, it’s one word and then it’s done and yea idk it’s just basically one paragraph each on the types of PTSD there is, and if y’all need me to I can run thru them here 😊

PTSD Examined: The Five Types of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Also to make that last one more simple because it’s a bit confusing, it basically means when there is more then one issue present in a single person.

Comorbidity is the co-occurrence of more then one disorder in the same individual

As mentioned in the article it usually occurs often, and there’s probably quite a few of ours charries who have this, because it’s pretty much a blanket statement

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                #ProtectMarcel
                                #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                                @godlyfantasy12

With my characters it look likes they have these-

(also Ik I’m spamming XD but this is interesting to me so ya!)

(Btw these ALL started out as Normal stress response and then Acute stress, because that’s how it all begins usually)

Arabella- Uncomplicated PTSD

November- It becomes Complex PTSD throughout the series, probably Comorbid too

Corvina- Complex and Comorbid PTSD

Jocelyn- She’s a bit difficult…she’s got some issues but honestly she runs more along the lines of Acute Stress Disorder

Luna- Same as Jocelyn, though perhaps a bit closer to Uncomplicated PTSD

Paxton- Comorbid and Complex PTSD

Grimm- Complex PTSD

Nyx- Complex PTSD (odd considering he and Lyn went thru nearly the same things…hm? I suppose it’s just how our brains work, and are wired. Really shows how different each character can be)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                  #ProtectMarcel
                                  #ProtectSeb

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >