Resources for Writing Mental Illnesses/Disorders/Disabilities

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Resources for Writing Mental Illnesses/Disorders/Disabilities

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Gwyndalf the Wise
    @gwyndalf-the-wise
      • Total Posts: 404

I think putting this in the Character Forum makes sense since the characters are going to be the ones having these things. If not, oh well. I tried.

And now for tags: @godlyfantasy12 @freedomwriter76 @loopylin @orielle21 @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @sarafini @folith-feolin @otherworldly-historian @mineralizedwritings

If I’ve tagged you and you’d rather not participate or read this, don’t worry about it! =)

If I haven’t tagged you and you’re interested in the topic, feel free to join!

This topic is for discussing, sharing resources, and trying to figure out whether your characters have any mental illnesses or disorders or disabilities.

For the sensitive of us out here (me included) please include content warnings for the resources that you share. =)

I’m pretty sure my MC, Teilo, has ASD level one, and I suspect that Luca has autism as well, but I’m less certain about him. I have multiple characters that suffer from anxiety and depression. I’m wondering if a couple of my characters may or may not have PTSD as well…

What about y’all?

"...I did not say to the seed of Jacob, 'Seek Me in vain..."
      (Part of) Isaiah 45:19

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        • Total Posts: 6645

I will definitely be here some!! My charries go thru quite a lot… so they do have a few issues even if they might not technically be called “illnesses or disorders”

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
        #ProtectMarcel
        #ProtectSeb

Light
        @lightoverdarkness6
          • Total Posts: 1626

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Great idea!! yeah, my charries (especially Asher and Matthew 😭 [My poor boys]) have anxiety/PTSD/etc. I’m not sure exactly sure which one (or if they have something different) yet.

I’ll be on and off of here!! 😀

#HugRikerSquad

Gwyndalf the Wise
          @gwyndalf-the-wise

@godlyfantasy12

Cool! Yeah, even if it doesn’t have a ‘label’ you’re still welcome to talk about their struggles. =)

@lightoverdarkness6

Thanks, just saw a commonality and thought it’d be interesting to talk about it.

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings
              • Total Posts: 2794

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Oh! That’s interesting about your characters. It’s basically all my oc Kaine for me. Ok also Kieryn. Kendrick is the worst off, but his plot is directly tied to Kaines. Book 3 is basically a whole plot around mental health and healing. I like to think my books get slightly more serious with each, although dystopian, book one is pretty fluffy. It’s about healing, but more of the childlike learning how to have fun again type. Book two is about the sacrifices needed to help others (Layson and Maylee) and book 3 is about the pain of healing. It’s a major jump in seriousness. I gotta be careful what I share here, with the trigger warnings and stuff XD It’s weird, I’m the one who usually needs trigger warnings, but because I relate to Kendricks issues, it almost has no affect on me reading or writing it. Even though I’ve never experienced anything that extreme, because I understand a bit of how it happens, it’s not really disturbing too me. I’ve never been as worse off as he is though.

Basically, the things that make Kaine and Kendrick unhealthy are one and the same event. kendrick unintentionally  injured Everly, Kaine’s sister. Kaine had some ptsd from the event, and was much more affected than Everly. He’s got other issues, but lives in fear of it happening again. Kendrick deals with extreme guilt, to the point he acts a bit crazy at times. They end up meeting at some point, and bond over their depression. Kaine has a pretty dark sense of humor because of what he’s been through. They share that humor, but it isn’t long before Kaine realizes Kendrick actually means the things he says. Anyways, I won’t go into detail, but Kaine ends up saving Kendrick. It’s a bunch of stuff I came up with last night, I never thought my last book would end up this way, but I think it could work out to have some great themes. I tried to be unspecific so it wouldn’t be too much, but tell me if I should have used a trigger warning!

Ok, so Keiryn has been told not to cry. He’s also on a 2 year not crying streak because he thinks that’s a good thing. 🙁

His parents are divorced and he just bottled up all the stuffs.

I’d love to hear more about your characters and how there mental health ties into the plot! If you want to share, I know I just did a huge info dump XD

Also, can you tell I like K names? 🤭

Kaine, Kieryn, and Kendrick become a friend group at the end, they are all about the same age.

へびは かっこいい です!

Gwyndalf the Wise
              @gwyndalf-the-wise

@mineralizedwritings

I gotta be careful what I share here, with the trigger warnings and stuff XD I

The sharing was mostly about if people put links on here to other things that explain what they’re talking about. As for talking about your characters, you’re welcome to share whatever you what, but you can add trigger warnings if you think it needs it.

It’s weird, I’m the one who usually needs trigger warnings, but because I relate to Kendricks issues, it almost has no affect on me reading or writing it. Even though I’ve never experienced anything that extreme, because I understand a bit of how it happens, it’s not really disturbing too me. I’ve never been as worse off as he is though.

SAME. XD I actually didn’t realize I was writing characters with these conditions until I was diagnosed myself and saw a lot of similarities with my characters.

It’s basically all my oc Kaine for me. Ok also Kieryn. Kendrick is the worst off, but his plot is directly tied to Kaines. Book 3 is basically a whole plot around mental health and healing. I like to think my books get slightly more serious with each, although dystopian, book one is pretty fluffy. It’s about healing, but more of the childlike learning how to have fun again type. Book two is about the sacrifices needed to help others (Layson and Maylee) and book 3 is about the pain of healing. It’s a major jump in seriousness.

Sounds cool!

Basically, the things that make Kaine and Kendrick unhealthy are one and the same event. kendrick unintentionally injured Everly, Kaine’s sister. Kaine had some ptsd from the event, and was much more affected than Everly. He’s got other issues, but lives in fear of it happening again. Kendrick deals with extreme guilt, to the point he acts a bit crazy at times. They end up meeting at some point, and bond over their depression. Kaine has a pretty dark sense of humor because of what he’s been through. They share that humor, but it isn’t long before Kaine realizes Kendrick actually means the things he says. Anyways, I won’t go into detail, but Kaine ends up saving Kendrick. It’s a bunch of stuff I came up with last night, I never thought my last book would end up this way, but I think it could work out to have some great themes. I tried to be unspecific so it wouldn’t be too much, but tell me if I should have used a trigger warning!

Girl this sounds great! *excited claps* And about the trigger warnings, you’re fine, don’t worry about it unless you link us to an article or video or for some reason you start describing in gruesome detail (which I highly doubt you would).

Ok, so Keiryn has been told not to cry. He’s also on a 2 year not crying streak because he thinks that’s a good thing. 🙁

…KEIRYN! NO! I understand not liking to cry, but yikes. *scowls at mother who told him this*

His parents are divorced and he just bottled up all the stuffs.

Oh yikes.

I’d love to hear more about your characters and how there mental health ties into the plot! If you want to share, I know I just did a huge info dump XD

XD Infodumps are the best confusing messes out there. Okay, I’ll make it a plan to share more about them later tonight or tomorrow. (We have people coming to our house in 15 minutes and I don’t think I’d have an infodump ready in that time frame.)

XD I do too! I used to have character named Kyler in a story I’ve abandoned. I was really happy I found I name that was close to but wasn’t Kyle. And then I realized that was the name of a cousin of mine that I forgot about and was teased mercilessly by siblings (namely my sister).

Currently I have a thing for E and D names.

MineralizedWritings
                @mineralizedwritings

@gwyndalf-the-wise

SAME. XD I actually didn’t realize I was writing characters with these conditions until I was diagnosed myself and saw a lot of similarities with my characters.

Yep. It happens a lot to me! 😆

Sounds cool!

Thanks!

Girl this sounds great! *excited claps* And about the trigger warnings, you’re fine, don’t worry about it unless you link us to an article or video or for some reason you start describing in gruesome detail (which I highly doubt you would).

Thanks!!! I’m super excited about it myself, It’s like a dream character arc for me to work on!

*excited clapping also*XD

I like getting to relate to the characters issues, but also I’m super excited to write Kaine coming through as a great friend. Kendrick on the other hand, doesn’t really want a friend 😂 he thinks Kaine’s just in his way XD It’s a moment in his character arc, because he realizes Everly has long forgiven Kendrick. Also, that previous him would have never believed he would go through so much effort to rescue this person. (still lots of work to figure it out though)

…KEIRYN! NO! I understand not liking to cry, but yikes. *scowls at mother who told him this*

Oh yeah… Keiryn’s mom. Maybe she has a reason for thinking that way? Idk, I’m not planning on doing her backstory, but I’m sure it’s rooted somewhere.

XD Infodumps are the best confusing messes out there. Okay, I’ll make it a plan to share more about them later tonight or tomorrow. (We have people coming to our house in 15 minutes and I don’t think I’d have an infodump ready in that time frame.)

Yup! The best form of communication! I’ll be looking forwards to it when you have the time! 🙂

Yeah, siblings. I’m that sibling XD my sister isn’t super annoying, but I am. In a good way though XD I tease her about guys on a frequent basis. 😂🤣

へびは かっこいい です!

Light
                  @lightoverdarkness6

@mineralizedwritings

Awww!!! Oh my goodness!! Your poor ‘K’ boys!! (That sounds like a music group. “The K Boys” XDXD)

I love L names, so it’s fine! K names are cool too :).

That’s so awesome. And you came up with that last night??! Wow!! I can’t wait to read it. XDXD

(I’m gonna go finish reading your chapters that you’ve posted of your book…bye) XD

#HugRikerSquad

Light
                    @lightoverdarkness6

@mineralizedwritings

Yeah, siblings. I’m that sibling XD my sister isn’t super annoying, but I am. In a good way though XD I tease her about guys on a frequent basis. 😂🤣

LOLOL!!! That’s my little brother. He teases me all the time too. But when I tease him about a girl, he gets all quiet and embarrassed it’s SO STINKIN CUTE!!! XDXD

#HugRikerSquad

MineralizedWritings
                      @mineralizedwritings

@lightoverdarkness6

Awww!!! Oh my goodness!! Your poor ‘K’ boys!! (That sounds like a music group. “The K Boys” XDXD)

Yep! My poor K boys. A band? I suppose they are a K-pop band then 😂 ok this is getting ridiculous and embarrassing. They would all hate that very much. Keiryn might manage ok though.

I love L names, so it’s fine! K names are cool too :).

I like L names too! Lesli and Layson ended up with them!

That’s so awesome. And you came up with that last night??! Wow!! I can’t wait to read it. XDXD

It’s going to be awhile… XDXD lot’s happens in between. Most of that actually occurs during Layson and Everly’s honeymoon, so yeah… lot’s to happen. XD I’m glad you want to read it though!

(I’m gonna go finish reading your chapters that you’ve posted of your book…bye) XD

Lol! Thanks for reading! I appreciate all yall who do! 🙂

LOLOL!!! That’s my little brother. He teases me all the time too. But when I tease him about a girl, he gets all quiet and embarrassed it’s SO STINKIN CUTE!!! XDXD

That is HILARIOUS XDXD and very cute.

へびは かっこいい です!

Otherworldly Historian
                        @otherworldlyhistorian
                          • Total Posts: 217

@mineralizedwritings

@lightoverdarkness6

@gwyndalf-the-wise

Some of my also characters have mental health-related issues. Also, some of them are disabled (ie Timurlyn). There are also a lot of characters with very twisted minds (especially the maurozirs (and Pijiny  😑).

As for PTSD I could probably help a bit. I already have done some research and we have been talking about it in language arts class (because we were reading a short story called the rite which is about a person who survived the Hiroshima bombing and has PTSD). I have noticed you guys using it a lot and (trying not to be offensive) am not sure if you all know what it actually is. I have

I have added a link to an American Psychiatry Association  article on it (I don’t think there would be any content warnings I need to add)

Also after reading your post about/from November in the character castle I would recommend you ( @godlyfantasy12 ), look into dissociative disorders. http://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/dissociative-disorders/what-are-dissociative-disorders (Also just text. I would specifically look at Dissociative identity disorder for November.)

I also like K names.

Through darkness,
                          light shines brightest

MineralizedWritings
                          @mineralizedwritings

@otherworldlyhistorian

Thanks for the info! That website was super helpful. I usually say Kaine has Anxiety and depression, for some reason I called it ptsd in that post. It seems like he has a lot of symptoms of it, but maybe not to the same extent or time length.

へびは かっこいい です!

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 692

@gwyndalf-the-wise

I personally bottle stuff up so I have a character who does that as well. She also has no friends except 2 neighbors (1 is 6 years older and the other 1 is 2 years older) so she’s very lonely. I’ve been in her shoes. Personally for about 4ish years I had no real friends. I’d see people at co-ops and stuff (I was homeschooled) but nobody would really card to actually talk to me. In 2019 I switched co-ops and made a couple friends and at church I met a girl in late 2020 who is now my best friend. Also, during my senior events this past year (2021-2022) I made some friends.

Oops. Went on a tangent about my own life when this is supposed to be characters lives. Oh well. Just giving you a bit of background into why my characters suffer as they do, I guess. Lol.

Anyway, I’ll be coming around a bit. 😉 I think I’ll subscribe to this page actually.

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 692

That is supposed to be care not card btw.

@gwyndalf-the-wise

MineralizedWritings
                                @mineralizedwritings

@sarafini

Yeah.. same actually XD I’ve pretty much always had my sister, so that helped. She’s a year older. I had a lot of people to talk to, but very few cared about me. I could ask them how they were doing, but I would have to start the conversation and be the one to carry it on. So yeah, it’s funny though, instead on me having a really lonely character, I had one with the friend I wanted. Tauren 🤣! Lesli is like me, and Tauren is like the friend I needed but never had. It’s always super interesting to me how life stuff gets into our writing.

へびは かっこいい です!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >