non-typical critters for stories

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy non-typical critters for stories

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Elfwing
    @elfwing
      • Total Posts: 486

@daisy-torres

sorry, that was intense lol

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Daisy Torres
      @daisy-torres
        • Total Posts: 691

@elfwing Yuupp that’s pretty much my thoughts on it too lol. And no! I didn’t think you worded anything intensely. And saaame. My rabbit trails are more like elephant trails T_T

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Elfwing
        @elfwing

@daisy-torres

Okay lol

phew I’m glad I didn’t. I know I can sometimes

hehe I make Roadrunner trails

I like the elephant version

OHHH elephants!! Those don’t usually show up in fantasy

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Sami Eastwood
          @sami-eastwood
            • Total Posts: 12

@joy-caroline

I don’t know if you’ve read these already but CJ Darlington wrote a series of stories starting with Jupiter Winds and the main character owns a farm of Zebras! I think you’d like it.

@elfwing

As far as missing critters in fantasy I would have to say I don’t see a lot of goats. I guess they’re not the most exciting animal but when it comes to fantasy anything is possible.

“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” - Anne Shirley

Elfwing
            @elfwing

@sami-eastwood

ahh yesss goats!! My family raised goats for a while and let me tell you they would have tons of potential for fantasy lol. Good idea!

The ones with horns can uproot wire fencing (ours did…) and they can bite and they’re also good climbers and depending how moody they are they can be good companions for travelling if you use them as pack animals

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 1379

@sami-eastwood

*screams* Must read Zebra books NOW. Thanks so much for the recommendation, it sounds totally awesome! I’m gonna go find the books on Amazon.

Daisy Torres
                @daisy-torres
                  • Total Posts: 691

@elfwing Ooo you’re righhtt!! For that matter, can we see more fantasy set in India-ish legends/culture?? That could be really cool…

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Elfwing
                  @elfwing

@daisy-torres

Yah! that would be great! I have an Asian style culture in the southern region of Visaya (my lands in my story)… but it’s not a major plot and the elephants are only just making their entrance in the story lol They’re more the African species for looks, but small; like just big enough for someone to ride, small. XD (sorry elephants) Then there’s the Serpent Isle elephants… which are about twenty feet tall at the shoulder and some of them have ten-foot tusks. hehehe

good thing the Serpent people are all close to eight feet tall on a good day, taller and bigger when they’re mad XD

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h
                      • Total Posts: 3875

@elfwing Your stories sound super cool!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Elfwing
                      @elfwing

@keilah-h

Thank you 🙂 it’s been a childhood-long adventure that I’m finally able to write down and make more real.

I am very curious about your stories with the human characters that have animal features; From the sounds of it, the puka of Gaelic mythology would be right up your alley!

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@elfwing Cool! Cats and dragons seem to be my favorite characters to combine with humans. The creatures always have completely human faces (no scales, and no fur unless it’s facial hair), but they can have cat ears. Their bodies are usually covered in fur or scales (but they usually still wear clothes for some reason), and they have tails, and wings in the case of dragons. The dragonmen (what I call them) can also breathe fire or ice, depending on which type of dragon they are.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Elfwing
                          @elfwing

@keilah-h

cool cool!!

they sound interesting! The dragon men especially. I like dragons and dragon people

I must admit if I did anything like that I’d do deer antlers. I’ve always wanted to do that because it looks so stinkin cool lol

my serpent people can morph into dragons and so they’re normal looking as humans for the most part except they’re naturally bigger than other humans while in their human form, and when they’re angry the grow in height and size before completely morphing into a fire breathing dragon. The only thing that stays the same is their eyes and any scars always have scales on them. They have the ability to quickly heal in minutes.

Their eyes are always hazel and they have slit pupils “cat eyes”

Keilah H.
                            @keilah-h

@elfwing Sounds awesome! I like the deer person idea, too. My characters have catlike eyes too, but only when they’re angry or scared or in bright light. Their eyes look normal otherwise. Their canine teeth are also really sharp, and some of them have retractable fangs behind their human teeth. The sea variety has gills and bioluminescent areas on their scales. They have two of these little light-up spots on each of their temples, too, but normally they’re indistinguishable from the rest of the face.

Some of the dragons are wyverns–meaning that their wings are part of their arms–but others are drakes, meaning that they are like regular dragons. Some even have four wings, and there were a few which were both–they had wings on their arms and their backs.

…Sorry I talk about it so much. My brother calls them “weirdos” which I honestly sometimes do too, and he thinks they’re weird and creepy, so he won’t let me talk about them a lot, so….I’m glad to find someone who shares my obsession…..

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h

I drew this one a while back ago. He was from a fanfic I wrote about a video game, but instead of being humans the characters were dragonmen. So that’s why it says “Championship of the Dragons” below his name.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >