non-typical critters for stories

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy non-typical critters for stories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Elfwing
    @elfwing
      • Total Posts: 486

So I was just thinking about critters in fantasy. You know, dragons, eagles, orcs, etc. I get bored of them sometimes. (not Smaug; Smaug’s sense of humor and sarcasm will never grow old XD)

I know it’s fun to make up animals but at the same time, I like my earth critters.

I thought it would be fun to brainstorm real animals that don’t usually show up in stories!

my first thought is a hedgehog

hedgehogs are small, kinda cute, and have a mean bite when they get annoyed; they could totally be spies or something or even just innocent diversions; the antagonist picks it up “a… hedgehog. What kind of stupid does he/she (the protagonist) think I am? it’s harmless as a— Ow! what was that for?!”

no pressure, this is just for fun; I don’t need any suggestions per se, I just wanted to see what people think of…

@scripter-of-kingdoms
      @gracie-j @daisy-torres @elanor @lydia-s @joy-caroline @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @iluvhim18 @anyone-who-wants-to

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

Jean Coul
      @hallie-jean
        • Total Posts: 167

@elfwing

Okay, correct me if I’m wrong, but does this example work??

A frog hopped onto the desk, right next to the ring. “Aww! He’s kinda cute!” the antagonist squealed. “Why would they send me such a harmless–” the frog swallows the dark ring, full of powerful magic that the villain had worked so hard to get his hands on for years…. “What!?!? NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!”

XD

Proverbs 16:2

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 1379

@elfwing

Hmm, zebras don’t really show up in stories. Yet somehow ponies do. Which is a bit sad because I personally love zebras. XD There need to be more zebras in fantasy stories and the like.

Daisy Torres
          @daisy-torres
            • Total Posts: 691

@elfwing I gotchaa, I was actually discussing the same thing the other day with a friend! I used a weasel-like fantasy creature in Era of Shadows XD She talks and has venom tho

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Elfwing
            @elfwing

@hallie-jean

yesss! That’s great! 😂 love it!

@joy-caroline

Good point… I like zebras too! That’s a good idea! 😃

@daisy-torres

cool! Haha sounds perfect for unsuspecting mischief… and a talking one at that!

my dad had a pet ferret at one point named Loki 😂 it was a cheeky critter; it loved to hide under the couch and then when people came by where it was it would make weird chittering noises and rush out and scare the living daylights out of them 😂 it never hurt anyone, just scared them

I'm 'a homeschooler' because cookie-making writing artistic animal-whisperer isn't a job title

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12
                • Total Posts: 6645

Ooh ooh!

@elfwing
                FENNEC FOXES THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!!! And yes there is one in my series.

Look up exotic animals if ur looking for something new! There’s lemurs, monkeys, lizards, fish, turtles, sugar gliders, porcupines, guinea pigs, hamsters, ferrets, kangaroos, deer, etc.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Elfwing
                @elfwing

@godlyfantasy12

ooo my friend loves those critters!! Good choice, good choice! That must be so fun! Do they talk? O.O

what did you name it?

yeah… that is a great idea when I need some critters! Thanks!

i have an albino deer and elephants and a ferret and a cottontail rabbit in mine, and the ferret is named Lokee  XD

Jean Coul
                  @hallie-jean

@elfwing

Does anyone ever see many insects in books??

Like butterflies, ants, beetles, millipedes, caterpillars (I know they’re butterflies, but I never hear about them in this form either), grasshoppers, ladybugs, bees, etc…

I’ve heard dragonflies, spiders (technically not an insect), and lightning bugs getting tons of attention. Especially in fantasy books since they’re more magical, or necessary. But I’d enjoy the protagonist destroying the villain’s hideout by infesting it with termites or carpenter ants!

They might not be the most cute and pretty creatures, but if you make them talk, or have other helpful abilities, I believe they could add a little something to the story!!!

Elfwing
                    @elfwing

@hallie-jean

oooo great point!!!

*gasps * Ladybugs! Perfect! You gave me an idea!

and GIANT grasshoppers! For my dragon people!!! They get on their grasshopper and it jumps and flings them on the air and they get a jumpstart flight!!

thank you! You gave me ideas!!

Moths would be cool too… I mean Gandalf used one…

ohhh what if the antagonist has a garden and then the protagonist’s butterflies go there and unbeknownst to the villain they lay their eggs and so soon the villain has monarch caterpillars annihilating his garden but he’s terrified of caterpillars and so he doesn’t touch them? MWAHAHA— Er, ahem I mean

poor guy

and termites… epic my friend. Epic.

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting
                        • Total Posts: 1700

@elfwing How about…chickens? There seems to be an underwhelming amount of chickens in fantasy except in cooking.

And ducks. And geese.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                        Would you mind letting me know
                        If hours don't turn into days

Elfwing
                        @elfwing

@devastating-lasting

So true!!!!

I love ducks!!! they’re good pets and would make very innocent looking spies, and also information carriers if you trained them…

Chickens!!! yessss. They’d make good traveling companions! push comes to shove eat the chikcen… muahahaha  They’re also good at catching mosquitoes and other annoying bugs!! so are ducks! I have seen them do this and it’s hilarious. This is a great critter as a traveling companion. I would say alarm clock, if the rooster only crowed at sunrise… most don’t just do it then lol.

OH Geese would make excellent ‘watchdogs’! they really are good at it!! also, they are very aggressive at times and can actually break bones with their wings!

@hallie-jean
                          ohhhh I just thought of another one; turtles!!! turtles would be great!! give them a secret message and if someone tries to take it they can snap shut hehehe foiled again, villain! take that! (and they’re quiet, too) XD

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting
                            • Total Posts: 1700

@elfwing Mm yes ducks would make such cute spies. My guards would definitely let down their guard for them. If I had guards.

And yes, eat the chickens. Better than eating the horse, heheh.

And geese are absolutely terrifying they would definitely make very good watchdogs. Or turkeys. Forget peacocks turkeys would do more than just be decoration.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                            Would you mind letting me know
                            If hours don't turn into days

Elfwing
                            @elfwing

@devastating-lasting

yess they would!!

yeah, horse isn’t too bad apparently, but duck is cheaper lol

haha yeah geese are terrible fowl. XD and turkeys are scary but pretty, and they’d make good distractions XD

Jean Coul
                              @hallie-jean

@elfwing

LOLLLL glad I could help!!!

The grasshoppers in your story sound awesome! I think that’s such a cool way to incorporate such an underrated creature!!!!!

And the garden scene would be hilarious!!!!! XD

I LOVE turtles!!!!! A turtle that keeps secrets…why have I never thought of that!? I may have to use that!

@devastate-lasting

Duck spies!!!! I love it! SOMEONE has to write that!!!

Have you ever read The Storm Runner trilogy?? There was an old blind woman with magical powers who gets turned into a chicken! I haven’t read it in a while so I don’t exactly remember how… But it was funny! This conversation made me think about it 🙂

Jean Coul
                                @hallie-jean

@elfwing

Oh!!! Peacocks!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >