Hey everyone!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hey everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

@mackenzie Yeah, I love reptiles (most of them anyway). Many types of lizard are cute! I don’t know what kind you have around your place, but in my area the ones we have are called anoles, and they come in several varieties (but the green ones and brown ones are the most common)

And yes, if I could have a dragon pet I would! Ha, I have a neck pillow shaped like a cute little Asian dragon for car or airplane trips.

My wolf-dolphin creatures are called wolfphins. I literally just mashed together the two words, but I was like eleven when I first came up with them so I wasn’t thinking too much about that at the time. I still like the name though, so I’ve never changed it.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Felicity
      @felicity
        • Total Posts: 811

@mackenzie

I humbly bow to your ability to learn new languages! I’ve been part of several different Spanish classes, and though I adored the missionaries who taught them, I couldn’t catch on to the language for the life of me.

It was brave of you to try, even if it was hard.

What inspired you to learn Polish?

Good question! I have some Polish ancestors and have been fascinated by the culture and cuisine. I’d like to visit there someday, and knew it would be helpful to know the language. Then I started learning, and absolutely loved it. For some reason it clicked like French hadn’t (I did French for a while).

What’s your favorite part of homesteading?

Gardening, definitely. I love the whole process of seed to harvest and knowing where my food came from. Do you do any gardening?

I love all of the time periods you listed!😊 Regency is my preferred historical period to write in, but I love reading them all. Especially stories set in WW2.

Nice! It is so hard to pick an absolute favorite, you know? 🙂

You watched the 2017 Little Women miniseries?! Bless your heart.❤️ In my opinion, it’s the best version.😉 There’s also a remake set in modern times that surprised me by being handled really well. I think Jo will always be my favorite March sister😊(And Amy my least favorite😄).

Yes, I did! I really liked it. I actually cried a few times…(Laurie and Jo… 🙁 ). The scenes, landscapes and dialogue are all so immersive. I know I’ll be watching it many more times. What’s the remake called? I’m curious about it. (Yeah, Amy is something else. 😉 )

He must increase, but I must decrease.

Mackenzie
        @mackenzie
          • Total Posts: 34

@felicity

It’s so cool how you’re exploring your Polish roots!😊 You mentioned cuisine, have you made any dishes from Poland? Do you have a favorite Polish food?

I love your passion for growing your own food!😊 I do greatly admire the idea of gardening, but much to my mother’s chagrin, it’s not something I’ve ever been good at. Gardening makes her humming-happy, but I almost (accidentally!) killed the potted plant she gave me. She stole it back.😄 I have a black thumb, as they say. But I’ve picked berries and green beans and dug up carrots without killing anything, so that’s something.😆

Do you ever incorporate the skills you’ve learned from homesteading in what you write?

The modern Little Women also goes by the name Little Women, but it was made in 2018 and stars Sarah Davenport as Jo. It was refreshingly relatable because the March sisters are homeschooled.❤️Movies are rarely ever about homeschoolers, especially portraying them in a sympathetic light. And Jo’s trying to get published in modern times, so that added an extra element of interest. It’s not as beautiful and deep as the miniseries, but my sister, Mom, and I still enjoyed it.😊

TheArcaneAxiom
          @thearcaneaxiom
            • Total Posts: 1251

@autumnlily

A late welcome to KP! I’m the ArcaneAxiom, I love math, finding divine fundamental truth, and exploring that in my writing. I’m also big on sci-fi/fantasy. I’m currently creating a multiverse with my sister (Princessachronicle) called the Septrum.

Questions:

Hard or Soft worldbuilding? (Hard meaning more rigorously defined rules for the reader to understand with the characters, or soft meaning more open-ended possibility.)

What worldbuilding idea have you read or heard of have you been the most intrigued by?

What is your favorite aspect of your own worldbuilding?

And last but not least:

If no cat has 2 tails, and all cats have one more tail than no cat, then do all cats have 3 tails?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Felicity
            @felicity

@mackenzie

I’ve made a few Polish dishes like pirogi, keilbasa and kapusta (sauerkraut) and I want to try more, but my favorite so far is a dessert called wuzetka. Basically it’s a chocolate cake with a thick layer of whipped cream in the middle. It’s eaten cold, which makes it a lovely summer treat! Do you enjoy cooking/baking? And do you have a favorite cuisine?

I have to admit gardening makes me humming-happy as well. (That’s a sweet term. Did you make it up?) That’s too bad about the potted plant! I’ve had many a gardening mishap as well, but I just tell myself that it’ll help me not make the same mistake next time. (hopefully).

Do you ever incorporate the skills you’ve learned from homesteading in what you write?

Yes, somewhat. However, I like writing historical fiction, so a lot of my characters do some form of homesteading on their own. Meaning, they have way more skills than I have, and I could learn a lot from them! Flipping your question slightly, homesteading has helped me write about things more realistically. For instance, since I’ve washed clothes by hand before, I know that it’s very likely you’ll get blisters on your knuckles, so I’ll write that into a story.

The modern Little Women also goes by the name Little Women, but it was made in 2018 and stars Sarah Davenport as Jo. It was refreshingly relatable because the March sisters are homeschooled.❤️Movies are rarely ever about homeschoolers, especially portraying them in a sympathetic light. And Jo’s trying to get published in modern times, so that added an extra element of interest. It’s not as beautiful and deep as the miniseries, but my sister, Mom, and I still enjoyed it.😊

Oh wow, now I’m really interested! Thanks for the recommendation!

Mackenzie
              @mackenzie

@thearcaneaxiom

Hi ArcaneAxiom! Thanks for the welcome!😊

In my opinion, (don’t hate me for this!😄) when worldbuilding takes center stage it can read like a text book. I do appreciate worldbuilding and rigorously defined rules, especially the work that goes into them, but they’re not aspects I’m drawn to in a book. I still believe in keeping details consistent, but I’m a character driven reader and writer.

Sharon Hinck wrote a fantasy series about a world where dancers are able to control the weather and plant growth with dance. I’ve never been particularly interested in ballet, but her writing is so breathtaking, I was swept away.

I enjoy exploring how the rules of the world can work for or against my main character in my own worldbuilding.

How about you? Hard or Soft worldbuilding? (Though I suspect I know the answer.😉) What worldbuilding idea has most intrigued you? What do you love most about your own worldbuilding?

And last but not least:

All cats have one tail because ‘no cats’ have zero tails.

Mackenzie
                @mackenzie

@felicity

Wuzetka sounds delicious! I’ve always considered baking fun, and cooking necessary. (But I could blame this entirely on my sweet tooth.😉) I’ve never explored a particular cuisine. Is it difficult to find the ingredients you need?

I love how homesteading has given your writing a unique authenticity.❤️😊

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom

@mackenzie

In my opinion, (don’t hate me for this!😄) when worldbuilding takes center stage it can read like a text book. I do appreciate worldbuilding and rigorously defined rules, especially the work that goes into them, but they’re not aspects I’m drawn to in a book. I still believe in keeping details consistent, but I’m a character driven reader and writer.

This is very true. Worldbuilder’s disease is a thing, and it can take away from a story if you just infodump. When you find a good balance though, it can really enhance the writing

Sharon Hinck wrote a fantasy series about a world where dancers are able to control the weather and plant growth with dance. I’ve never been particularly interested in ballet, but her writing is so breathtaking, I was swept away.

That sounds fascinating! Magic systems that use different kinds of vessels such as dance can be really fun!

I enjoy exploring how the rules of the world can work for or against my main character in my own worldbuilding.

Absolutely! I love how Brandon Sanderson puts it, you have character, plot, and setting, then conflict is the glue that holds them together.

How about you? Hard or Soft worldbuilding? (Though I suspect I know the answer.😉) What worldbuilding idea has most intrigued you? What do you love most about your own worldbuilding?

Yeah, as you probably guessed I’m a rules guy😅 I don’t think I can say what has most intrigued me, but I just recently read Tress and the Emerald Sea from Brandon Sanderson. Imagen a world where the oceans aren’t water, or liquid at all, instead, they are tiny colorful spores like grains of sand that rain from the 12 moons above. They undergo a process of fluidization from air vents deep in the bottom. Though occasionally, those vents will stop, causing entire oceans to grind into a halt. Ships sailing, then suddenly being lodged in place, stuck for a few minutes, or even a few days. It’s one of those ideas where you think “why didn’t I think of that?”, because it’s a real scientific concept that could theoretically scale up that way.

All cats have one tail because ‘no cats’ have zero tails.

But I said that ‘no cat’ has 2 tails😂

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Mackenzie
                    @mackenzie

@thearcaneaxiom

You did say that ‘no cat’ has zero tails, didn’t you?😄 Clearly, I am not a riddle person. This is bringing flashbacks to my Mom’s riddle phase when I was younger, goodness. Do you write riddles yourself?

TheArcaneAxiom
                      @thearcaneaxiom

“If no cat has 2 tails,” is the premise😄 Sometimes, I like to just ask silly and/or thought provoking questions in general, often making fun of something linguistical or mathematical.

Mackenzie
                        @mackenzie

@thearcaneaxiom

Ah, I see. Not quite a riddle, then. How would you answer your own question?

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom

@mackenzie

That depends on how I’m feeling, would I play along, or would I point out the fallacy? Maybe both.

“If no cat has 2 tails, and all cats have one more tail than no cat, then do all cats have 3 tails?”

I would say that if it is indeed true that a ‘no cat’ as 2 tails, and it is true that a ‘cat’ has one more tail than a ‘no cat’, then a ‘cat’ must therefore have 3 tails, then the logic is completely solid. However we obviously understand that a ‘cat’ only has 1 tail, therefore the logic falters when we say that a cat has one more tail than no cat. The question is making fun of the idea that we can define ‘no cat’ as it’s own creature, but when we hear ‘no cat’ we are thinking zero cats. So when we say “No cat has 2 tails”, are we saying there is no such thing as a cat that happens to have 2 tails, or are we saying that there is a creature called a ‘no cat’ that does have 2 tails?

Felicity
                            @felicity

@mackenzie

Wuzetka sounds delicious! I’ve always considered baking fun, and cooking necessary. (But I could blame this entirely on my sweet tooth.😉) I’ve never explored a particular cuisine. Is it difficult to find the ingredients you need?

(I have a sweet tooth too…good to know I’m not the only one who is tempted by sugar.) Sometimes it is harder to find things like bulk poppy seeds and white sausage and rose hip jam, (all three are things I’ve haven’t found around where I live) but I usually just substitute it for something similar. (or not make the recipe at all).

I love talking about cooking/baking so if you ever want to chat more, just tag me! 🙂

Hope to see you around!

MineralizedWritings
                              @mineralizedwritings
                                • Total Posts: 2801

@thearcaneaxiom

I would say that if it is indeed true that a ‘no cat’ as 2 tails, and it is true that a ‘cat’ has one more tail than a ‘no cat’, then a ‘cat’ must therefore have 3 tails, then the logic is completely solid. However we obviously understand that a ‘cat’ only has 1 tail, therefore the logic falters when we say that a cat has one more tail than no cat. The question is making fun of the idea that we can define ‘no cat’ as it’s own creature, but when we hear ‘no cat’ we are thinking zero cats. So when we say “No cat has 2 tails”, are we saying there is no such thing as a cat that happens to have 2 tails, or are we saying that there is a creature called a ‘no cat’ that does have 2 tails?

w h a t

へびは かっこいい です!

Mackenzie
                                @mackenzie

@felicity

Thanks for the offer!😊❤️

What’s the worst mishap you’ve ever experienced in the kitchen? And what did you learn from it?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >