Hello!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

@thearcaneaxiom

The answer to your question: Either money, or because they don’t want to lose their job.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3213

Welcome to Kingdom Pen, @pixie!!

I’m Esther: a volleyball-playing, volleyball-squeaking, dog-obsessed, homeschooled, fiction-writing, God-loving, teen girl!

Yesss, Adorning the Dark is so good!! I really loved it the first time I read it. And speaking of, I should probably read it again. 😛

You do cake decorating?? That’s awesome. 😎 I love edible art. Expect for the fact that what you spent hours is consumed in the matter of a few minutes. XD

Now for some questions!

1. What is your favorite aspect of writing? (Characters, plot, worldbuilding, etc.) And why?

2. If you could live in any story world, which would it be? Why?

3. Is it pronounced “carmel” or “caramel”?

Nice to meet you and see ya around!!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Pixie
        @pixie
          • Total Posts: 23

Nice to meet you, @joy-calle! What’s the biggest thing you find KP has done to change your life & pursuit of writing?

I think it was your poem I read on the blog here last night; there was a stanza right near the middle, about God using my life, that helped me understand something. The whole thing read similar to a psalm– maybe that’s what you were going for 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Pixie.
          Pixie
          @pixie

Hello, @mackenzie! Definitely relate on the sunset love and reading choices! (My sister breeds dogs, but my passion for them is very tame.)

Favorite writing music: definitely soundtracks. But whatever I’m listening to, I always do it with an ear to finding songs for my WIP Spotify playlists– and the song titles have to be appropriate to my story 🙂 You?

Yes, my main WIP having the theme of growing up, romance and courtship definitely plays into it! I’m really passionate about God’s way of cultivating sound relationships between guys and gals, especially in an age where romance is usually gutted of genuine love, and the social frameworks for single guys and gals are usually misplaced or messed up.

Hm… maybe Quest of the Boy, partly because I know it better at this point, and also it’s more in the classic fairy-tale realm, which is where my imagination tends to run!

Pixie
            @pixie

Hello, @acancello! Wow, we have a lot of shared interests 🙂 I do love the subject of food!! We love to experiment in the kitchen in our family.

Favorite book series is a tough question: most recent is the Queen’s Theif series, but longest-standing is Lloyd Alexander’s Prydain or Lewis’ Narnia.

Um, closest thing to a sport might be square-dancing? We aren’t very sporty, but farm life keeps us pretty active.

I’m here partly because I’m not actually a disciplined writer, and tend to write in spurts or when I’m feeling inspired. So at this point, I don’t have much of a writing habit, but I’m working to establish one.

Pixie
              @pixie

Hello @highscribeofaetherium! Nice to meet you! Also so refreshing to run across another Megan Whalen Turner and Andrew Peterson geek!

Um… I am not the go-to joke person in my family. But, since it was a question: do you know Where a general keeps his armies?

Sad to say, I live in the upper midwest and any states I’ve visited are in that area. I think I woul enjoy traveling further if given the chance. Maybe southern France or any of the British Isles. Or any place Mediterranean. You?

If a sandwich is two pieces of bread with meat (etc.) between, then yes. Though you run into a difficulty in defining a hotdog bun– if the bun isn’t sliced through, then can it truly be a sandwich? Maybe it’s like the debate of whether jello is in the salad family.

Pixie
                @pixie

Greetings, @hybridlore! I’m guessing your profile picture is your art, like mine– I will have to check out the art forum at some point!

I checked out Natalie Sideserf, and my five-year-old sister thought the video we watched was enormously funny! Since I live in a fairly small town, people generally want your boring buttercream sheet cakes, so I’m not into anything that crazy. But it’s still super rewarding when you can draw something in frosting, like unicorns or Milwaukee power tools, that makes somebody or their mother smile. It’s the little stuff, ain’t it 🙂

Glad to meet you! Thanks!

Pixie
                  @pixie

Greetings, @thearcaneaxiom! Thank you. We are rejoicing in God’s healing hand! He is good (even if she had been paralysed, as could easily have been the case).

Lovely questions!

Probably hard; I enjoy whimsical storytelling, and have indulged in it. Off-the-cuff, in the moment stories. But when it’s something I really care about, I have to organize the ideas, compare them to my fundamental beliefs, figure out how they correspond to God’s way of thinking… I admire Tolkien quite a bit, even if I don’t plan to worldbuild to the extent he did!

Hm. Something that I’ve been confronted with unexpectedly in writing Quest of the Boy, is my Biblical understanding of angels and the role they play. I wanted to take my ‘faeries’ to another level, using the Faerie King as the metaphor character for God, and the faeries as that bridge between the worlds, if that makes sense; and so I had to understand whether I could legitimately compare my ‘faeries’ to the angels of the Bible. So in the years I’ve been worldbuilding and considering these things, it’s been fascinating to tune in more closely to my study of Scripture to inform my own worldbuilding! I guess you could say my greatest discovery lies in how essential it is to understand God as a story-teller when you aspire to that undertaking, and to revel in God’s Word when trying to grasp huge concepts in worldbuilding. It’s been amazing to have that understanding of God slowly dawning over the way I think.

Allegories: I used to be skeptical. Actually, I did my whole senior year paper on Tolkien and Lewis (specifically how they used mythologies to their advantage in storytelling) 🙂 But: I think Pilgrim’s Progress, for example, is great for what it is. It does an excellent job of what it sets out to do. Checkmark. But I still prefer the lusher landscape in a more subtle way of storytelling, and I think there’s a reason the stories of the Bible are so real, gritty, and unpredictable! Allegories, parables, they get the point across in an artistic way. But stories, fairy-tales, fantasy, are another level of richness, something you can roll around in your mind for the rest of your life and not get tired of.

Thanks for the questions! The riddle is cool 🙂 Certainly they all want material gain!

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Pixie.
                    Pixie
                    @pixie

Greetings, @keilah-h! Nice to get acquainted!

Interstellar has a great soundtrack, though anything by Hans Zimmer is stellar! But yeah, the story felt a bit nihilistic. But since I’m into regenerative agriculture/permaculture, and I also believe that God plans to establish His kingdom on earth after all is said and done, I really want to write a story with similar hypotheticals to Interstellar but with a different answer in mind! A more hopeful and beautiful answer, I think, than the movie gives. As to the fourth dimension thing, I know nothing about it! I could stand to be informed.

Favorite Marvel character: I am very fond of all the Avengers, and the best part is how the story explores their relationships to each other, but if I had to choose I’d probably stick by Captain America. He’s just got solid character. Curious to hear your dad’s reasoning! (Should we be worried that he knows something the rest of us don’t?!!)

Pixie
                      @pixie

Hi, @esther-c! Thanks for the welcome. I’m currently a terrible volleyball player! And I’m glad to hear you enjoyed Peterson’s book!

Wow. Especially in light of God’s Word, I take great delight in all three elements of Story, seeing that God does too! But when it comes down to it, I might say characters. I think God pours the most love into his characters, and the way characters drive plot and their webs interweave with each other, is just mindboggling. Each character has endless possibility and, well, personalization. Plot is firm, but reveals itself gradually, and worldbuilding, while also endlessly interesting, doesn’t have the soul as its core! And again, the characters are what you pour love into more than anything.

I would be most comfortable, I think, hopping into Narnia. I would love to meet all the different people groups there, maybe join in the Midwinter Snowball Dance, and walk on the shore near Cair Paravel to hear the gulls calling. Of course, I would probably love visiting Middle Earth equally well. Both places have built themselves into my imagination! What about you?

As a linguistics-lover, I’d agree to caramel, but as a Minnesotan I am guilty of slurring the word into carmel… It’s a hot debate at our family bakery!!

Thanks for the questions!

Allison
                        @acancello
                          • Total Posts: 838

@pixie

I don’t see why square dancing wouldn’t count, I personally dont play any sports I just like to run! 🙂 You own a farm?! Oh wow! We have a ton in common! Our family just moved cross country and bought some land to start a farm (We moved from CA to NC) It does keep you active 😀 We only have 13 chickens and 3 ducks and 6 guinea hens, but are going to get some pigs! We also have a huge garden thats not going very well this year, but we never have grown a garden in NC (lots harder then in Ca, lol! ) Anyway nice to meet you! I hope you love KP!!!

hybridlore
                          @hybridlore
                            • Total Posts: 1359

@pixie

Nope haha, it’s just art I found on the internet, I don’t draw that good lol.

Ooh, awesome! Yeah, that’s true, probably not much of a market for that in a small town anyway xD I still like recommending people to watch her tho, just to be amazed 😅

Side note, I used to live in Minnesota too! We were only there for a few years, but I liked it a lot! (It’s just really, really cold xD)

You too! You’re welcome!!

There is always light behind the clouds.
                            - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

TheArcaneAxiom
                            @thearcaneaxiom
                              • Total Posts: 1251

@pixie

Probably hard; I enjoy whimsical storytelling, and have indulged in it. Off-the-cuff, in the moment stories. But when it’s something I really care about, I have to organize the ideas, compare them to my fundamental beliefs, figure out how they correspond to God’s way of thinking… I admire Tolkien quite a bit, even if I don’t plan to worldbuild to the extent he did!

Yeah! I’m the same way, I really enjoy getting into the nitty gritty, and letting thoughts on the profound bleed in. I’m not sure if I could ever come to even make myself write something more soft, but I enjoy content others created in that light.

Hm. Something that I’ve been confronted with unexpectedly in writing Quest of the Boy, is my Biblical understanding of angels and the role they play. I wanted to take my ‘faeries’ to another level, using the Faerie King as the metaphor character for God, and the faeries as that bridge between the worlds, if that makes sense; and so I had to understand whether I could legitimately compare my ‘faeries’ to the angels of the Bible. So in the years I’ve been worldbuilding and considering these things, it’s been fascinating to tune in more closely to my study of Scripture to inform my own worldbuilding! I guess you could say my greatest discovery lies in how essential it is to understand God as a story-teller when you aspire to that undertaking, and to revel in God’s Word when trying to grasp huge concepts in worldbuilding. It’s been amazing to have that understanding of God slowly dawning over the way I think.

That’s so cool! So how allegorical are you getting with them? What are the fairies and how do they blend into the idea of angels other than simply being perfect, good, divine beings?

Allegories: I used to be skeptical. Actually, I did my whole senior year paper on Tolkien and Lewis (specifically how they used mythologies to their advantage in storytelling) 🙂 But: I think Pilgrim’s Progress, for example, is great for what it is. It does an excellent job of what it sets out to do. Checkmark. But I still prefer the lusher landscape in a more subtle way of storytelling, and I think there’s a reason the stories of the Bible are so real, gritty, and unpredictable! Allegories, parables, they get the point across in an artistic way. But stories, fairy-tales, fantasy, are another level of richness, something you can roll around in your mind for the rest of your life and not get tired of.

Yeah, absolutely! I personally lean towards the more Tolkien side of things, where I let my thoughts and commentary bleed into the themes in the background, instead of putting it up as a one to one system. That being said, the Savior Himself uses parables to teach his Gospel, so there is still something very special about allegories where they make hard complex concepts more digestible.

@pixie
                              @keilah-h

The answer to your question: Either money, or because they don’t want to lose their job.

Thanks for the questions! The riddle is cool 🙂 Certainly they all want material gain!

Of course! Fair enough😄

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Light Warrior Pen
                              @light-warrior-pen
                                • Total Posts: 103

@pixie

Hey! I’m Light Warrior Pen, romantic suspense writer and all around artsy person. I know you’ve been peppered with questions already, but I’m gonna add a few more.

~ Favorite character in your WIP?

~ Favorite ice cream flavor?

~ If you could go anywhere in the world and not have to worry about time, money, or safety, where would you go?

Welcome to the Kingdom!

This girl is armed with books, coffee, and writing accoutrements!

Pixie
                                @pixie

@thearcaneaxiom

So with the faeries, I wanted to call back to traditional fairy tales, where you have these mystical beings who could be either good or evil, everybody has different takes on it, different stories– they seem to appear out of nowhere sometimes, and then other times they were part of the community for a long time with few people realizing who they were exactly. I wanted to keep that mystery there, the mixture of fear and wonder in the characters of the story.

But I also think there’s truth to the fairy tales in real life, that when people made up stories of faeries (or demigods, or witches or whatever you have around the world) there very well could be mysterious spiritual forces at work. Certainly of the evil kind, like when you hear about witch doctors in Africa, or Druids, or Aztec gods maybe. Just as Satan was once a perfect being, and chose to turn against God, so other angels followed suit (Tolkien’s Silmarillion is almost allegorical there!) It follows logically that if we can believe in demons, fallen angels interfering with human life, then most likely God’s angels are doing the same. Spiritual warfare, you know. There’s so much to think about when you look at mythologies and ancient cultures from that perspective, and then try to add in all the effects of Christ’s work on the cross, as Christianity turned the tide in all the spiritual warfare all over the world.

So the faeries (both true and Necrofaeries) in my story, I wouldn’t call them allegorical because I’m creating a whole imaginative universe based on my growing understanding of these things, but based on it loosely. We can understand a lot about angels and what’s going on behind the scenes, but we can’t know it all. So we create a tribute to the beautiful things we can grasp out of God’s plan, create it thoughtfully and reverently, create it for the purpose of telling the story He’s put it us to write.

That was a loaded question! 😉 A great question.

I was going to agree about the parables, though– Jesus’ use of them was definitely on my mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >