Favorite Movies

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film Favorite Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    Mark Kamibaya
    @mark-kamibaya
      • Total Posts: 318

@sarah-h I think you like movies about serious issues. And that’s good, I guess. You’ve mentioned movies about abortion, human trafficking, and school shootings. Wow.

Anyway, as far as historical movies go the Great Escape is one of the great World War II movies. At least in my opinion. It’s about a group of POWs escaping a German concentration camp. Good for learning suspense. I mentioned Imitation Game because I watched it recently. It’s not super great and it has some gay themes, but overall it’s okay to watch. It’s about a British code-breaker breaking the top secret German code. I liked it, but I can see how some people wouldn’t like it.

I haven’t seen any of these. I’m planning to so I’m just wondering if you have any thoughts on these historical movies.

Schindler’s List
      Lawrence of Arabia
      Glory
      Braveheart

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Hope Ann
      @hope
        • Total Posts: 1092

@kate-flournoy I love Little Dorrit, and most of the other Dickens movie/mini series out there.

@sarah-h
        I’v heard of I am not Ashamed and it looks really good though I’ve not seen it yet.

I really want to see Priceless too.

And The Great Escape and The Imitation Game are really good. I didn’t care for Unbroken as much, but that was because I’d read the book and they had to leave out so much. The book was so much better (and worse) than the movie.

@mark-kamibaya
        Ooo, I love Ocean’s Eleven.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Emma Flournoy
        @emma-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 1352

@Mark-Kamibaya

Yep, British period dramas (but not Pride and Prejudice and the Zombies. 😀 ) Have you seen any? I’d definitely recommend North and South, though if you’re a sci-fi geek that might not be your sort of thing. 😛
          Yeah, you’re right; I shouldn’t have lumped characters and dialogue into completely separate categories. Dialogue does come from the characters. 😉
          But I think the dialogue makes those characters at least a little more interesting than they would be by themselves, with no one to talk to.

If the Princess Bride would be released now, feminists would be outraged that Buttercup is probably the least defined character in the whole movie!

Ha! I know what you mean.
          I prefer the female characters who aren’t overbearing, thank you very much. Here’s an example—Princess Leia vs. Eowyn. They both have feminist mindsets, but the difference is, with Eowyn that was her character arc. With Leia, that’s just how she was. Eowyn learned to be a woman, and come out of her feminism (though that arc was so much crazily bigger and better in the book than the movie. 😛 Have you read the books?). Leia never lost her rudeness, or thought it was wrong. So I much prefer Eowyn.
          But. I’m not a feminist. Feminists probably love Leia.

I’ve seen Unbroken. It was good, though really hard to watch in places.

Braveheart…well, when we watched it with our parents, they skipped a LOT. A lot of…I’m not gonna say exactly sensual stuff, but…well, stuff that shouldn’t be watched. (Or stuff that I think shouldn’t have happened.) I didn’t see it, of course, but it’s pretty easy to guess what went on. Also stuff they skipped where a lot of swearing went on. Some of the stuff even the good guys say is not nice. And some conversation scenes were skipped due to whatever was being talked about…
          The overall story is really good (most of it. There were things that I hate happened, and not just like sad things you wish didn’t have to happen, but things you disagree most heartily with. I have a hard time forgiving the good guys for doing bad things which aren’t necessarily portrayed as bad.), with a really good overall message, and the second to last scene is one of the best in cinema history, with one of the best lines ever. Most of the characters are really well done. 😀 But it’s pretty inaccurate to history (even though very little is known about William Wallace—other historical aspects were changed too), so if you terribly mind that…yeah. And it’s extremely violent. The music is GREAT. And it’s my dad’s favorite movie…
          I absolutely love certain aspects of it, but really really dislike others. So…decide from that what you will. *shrug*
          Oh, but one other thing in its favor is the acting. The acting is REALLY good.

@Kate-Flournoy
          , since you’re probably shaking your head at my exaggerated warning, you have my permission to tone it down or back it up however you like. Maybe you remember other things in its favor to tell him. 😛

@Bluejay

What’s The Sons of Katie Elder about? I don’t like John Wayne all that well, but you said it’s REALLY good!!

BlueJay
          @bluejay
            • Total Posts: 1622

@emma-flournoy Wow! Ask me an easier question won’t you???!!! Um…I have seen a few John Wayne movies and this is the best. John Elder (John Wayne) is a, um how do you describe someone who is the best shot in the west? Anyway, his mother dies and he comes home for the funeral, but there have been many changes since he left and his three brothers no longer live on the ranch. He finds out that his father was murdered and sets out to find who did it. I guess I can’t say much more without spoiling it. The movie does have quite a few deaths, but a happy ending. 🙂

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy

@Bluejay Huh. Mostest interesting. I don’t hate John Wayne, it’s just that he always plays himself, so it gets kind of old. Nice, a happy ending. That’s gotta count for something. 😀

Um…a crack-shot, maybe?

BlueJay
              @bluejay

@emma-flournoy Have you seen “The Quiet Man”? Another John Wayne movie, but this time it’s Irish. 🙂
                Yeah, a crack-shot probably works. 🙂

Emma Flournoy
                @emma-flournoy

@Bluejay Yes I have! It was a while ago, but I remember liking it very much. That was the first John Wayne one I watched, I think. Hilarious!!

I may have only seen him in two…that one and The Alamo, off the top of my head. But I did not like him in The Alamo. He was playing Davy Crockett; I much prefer Fess Parker’s version. Have you seen that?
                  Though I actually don’t think Davy Crockett in real life was all that great. *pout*

BlueJay
                  @bluejay

WHAT!!! I LOVE THE STORY OF THE REAL DAVY CROCKETT!!!!
                    Yes, I have seen the Fess Parker version. I have also seen Davy Crockett and the River Pirates. Have you? I love Georgie. He is so funny.
                    I definitely can’t picture John Wayne being better that Fess as Davy, so it doesn’t surprise me that it wasn’t that great.
                    I have seen Fess in Old Yeller and Daniel Boone. Have you seen either of those?
                    *remembers to breathe*

@emma-flournoy

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 1486

Hey, has anyone seen the new movie Priceless? Because that movie is heart wrenching. It is a little slow in the beginning, but picks up after that. The quality was much better than I expected. I generally don’t have very high expectations when it comes to Christian movies (unless its from the Erwin Brothers or something), but this movie was a pleasant surprise. It defiantly wasn’t cheesy and the acting was good.

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy

@Bluejay Yes, I’ve seen all those movies! He’s great in all of them. And I know! Georgie’s hilarious.
                        Oh, the real Davy Crockett was a decent person, as portrayed by Fess Parker?? Well, that shows you how much I know. 😛 I thought I remembered doing some research on him and not being very impressed…maybe I’m remembering wrong. Where do you know the story of the real Davy from?

BlueJay
                        @bluejay

@emma-flournoy I’ve read a book on him, but maybe the author was biased. I have not researched him on the internet or anything like that. But the book I read made him similar to Davy portrayed by Fess.

Sarah Hoven
                          @sarah-h
                            • Total Posts: 669

@emma-flournoy I studied Davy Crockett many years ago, (I was homeschooled 🙂 ), and I remember being very impressed by his life. Actually, the first story I ever wrote was about him……wow, that was a long time ago. Anyway, I’ve never watched any movies or read any fiction about him, so I don’t know if the movie is biased or not, but I have a lot of respect for him from what I learned in history.

@winter-rose I want to see Priceless so much! Have you seen I Am Not Ashamed? It’s also out in the theatres right now. Have you seen October Baby? Compared to most Christian films, it is very well done, especially the way they handled theme and characterization. It is very uncheesy.

@mark-kamibaya
                            From that list I’ve only seen Lawrence of Arabia, and I cried for a week. Not an experience I want to repeat. He starts out so idealistic, and through the story he gets broken down bit by bit until he loses his mind. There is no happy ending; just tragedy. What is Glory about? I haven’t heard of that one. I asked Daddy about The Great Escape; he said it’s a great movie, and we’ll probably watch it sometime. Schindler’s List and Braveheart are on Mommy and Daddy’s “never show the children” list, but I know the stories of Schindler and William Wallace. I wish they had done a cleaner, more accurate version of Braveheart, because William Wallace was an amazing man and I enjoy studying him a lot. The Imitation Game is about Alan Turig (?), the man who cracked Enigma, right? I have read about him, and I didn’t like it. Yes, I do like serious movies the best, though I really do enjoy a good adventure movie like The Last Crusade or Beyond the Mask. One of my favorite serious movies is the French Joan of Arc, even though I can’t stand the ending.

Has anyone seen Come What May? I know it was very first-movie ish, but I still really like it. It deals with prolife vs. abortion and courtship vs. dating, and the main character Rachel is very much like me. It was made by Patrick Henry College.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Sarah Hoven.
                            Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 1486

@Sarah-h I have heard of I Am Not Ashamed, but I haven’t seen it. Yes I have seen October Baby!I love that movie. I think it was directed by the Erwim Brothers. Another movie they did recently is Woodlawn. Its based off a true story and deals a lot with racism.
                              Have you seen Old Fashioned? Its about a guy trying to court a girl in a godly way in modern times. Its really sweet and has some good themes and deals with deep topics.

Emma Flournoy
                              @emma-flournoy

@Bluejay @Sarah-h
                                Hmmm…maybe I should do some more research. I think we have a book by the man himself, but I haven’t read it due to reports from at least one other family member it was boring. I don’t like boring things. 😛 That was awhile ago, though. Maybe I’d like it now.
                                But I do think that the Fess Parker movies, Tessa, are at least fictionalized in the historical way, if not in Davy’s personality. I’m pretty sure Georgie is mostly made up ( 🙁 ); and Davy got married again after Polly died, and lots of things happened which were different or left out in the movies. I so wish they’d make historical movies accurate.
                                Who wrote the book you read about him?

Sarah, have you read Scottish Chiefs by Jane Porter?

Sarah Hoven
                                @sarah-h
                                  • Total Posts: 669

@Winter-rose I haven’t seen Old Fashioned. Thank you for telling me about it! I’ll try to find it. I’ve been wishing that there was a good movie that I could recommend to my friends who don’t understand courtship; maybe that will be it. 🙂

@emma-flournoy
                                  I haven’t read Scottish Chiefs, but more than one person has told me to read it. What is it about?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 304 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >