A Dog in the Kingdom of Pen

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Dog in the Kingdom of Pen

• This topic has 204 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Joy.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 205 total)
  • Author
    filewriter@base13x
    @filewriterbase13x
      • Total Posts: 110

@rochellaine, well kind of. What I mean to say is that, I am not okay with all fictional references to magic. The only magic references that I am really okay with is in Christian fiction. Like with non christian books and magic it’s much different. It’s like a completely different thing. So, I guess what I am saying is that I don’t like magic except for a few exceptions (C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien.) @warrenluther04, I am sorry to say that I agree with Rochellaine. Sorry. I really like your story, but I think I would feel weird if all of a sudden there were trolls, vampires, or goblins. Sorry again. I am perfectly fine that others like that stuff, but I just don’t. I wasn’t really sure what this story would contain, but if it had those kind of creatures it would get a little to magical for my taste. I do like fictional characters though, as long as they are not extremely magical.

Currently writing the Hostanica Files with the assistance of B-bot, my PAIA (Personal AI Assistant.)

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@warrenluther04 Yes, I think that would be okay. 🙂  I’m glad you like my character!  And yes again, I think I’d be fine with making an evil army disappear.  That would be fun. 🙂  And probably really freak the other characters out, since they can each only fight one at a time, right? 😀  But then, that’s why I’m the sheriff and they’re not!

Oh, isn’t it hilarious?  If a donkey talked to me I would probably jump a mile away, but when Baalam’s donkey talks he just answers it as if he knew all along it could talk, but was just refusing to do so!

As for being referred to as “imagination,” don’t worry about the specifics.  As long as you don’t make them sound magical, I’m fine.  Since it’s more of an “unimagination” than an imagination it might be hard to use just the word “imagine.”  Dekreel did a really good job in the KPA with her description of it, if you want to read that to see what I mean.  I think it was something like “uncanny willpower.” 😀  Sort of like if you’re consciously dreaming you can change the bear that’s attacking you into a bird, or like in the old cartoons, where they could draw a hole in the wall and jump through it.  Since this is imagination land, everything that’s like the real world stays the same, and everything else is subject to my imagination.  There, I think you’ve got a better description of what I can and can’t do now, right?

Thanks again!

@ariel-ashira

Friends do not always understand, but they are always understanding.

I love that!  That’s why it’s so wonderful to be a part of Kingdom Pen, isn’t it?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Catwing
        @catwing
          • Total Posts: 2557

@warrenluther04 Grosvenor is very busy and doesn’t diminsion travel. 🙁 (also his character is in development.) So heasks to be excused.
          It is commonly just called the Catwing Council. You can say that. 🙂
          I always thought we all lived there…
          But these are Daeus and Knight Kate’s tags… @Daeus @kate-flournoy

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Catwing
          @catwing

@rochellaine Yes. I believe all magic is bad. But I’m fine with fictional magic that isn’t magic. (Meaning it’s just how that world works, not demons as in our world.) So I’m fine with fantasy beasts and such. 🙂

@warrenluther04
            hummingbirds move in a way that our brains become obsessed and have to catch it. *shrug*
            You featured me = Catwing rant
            😛
            You can not tell right off that I am a black tabby.
            This is my black tabby, Shadow.

Yes, that is how he sleeps. *smiles fondly*

Proof- His fur

You protrayed me pretty accurate. *big grin*
            But I wouldn’t hiss at rochellaine. We have meet in real life, did you know that? It was in a time I got turned into a human. 😛

Also I throw feathers on occasion if I don’t think anyone is going to sneeze. 🙂
            I used to throw bugs, but no one liked that very much. 🙁

I may draw a cover picture for you. *grins*

Catwing
            @catwing

@warrenluther04 Who all do you want on the cover?

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine
                • Total Posts: 3322

@warrenluther04 @dekreel

I’m so sorry, but I’ve been thinking and praying about this and have changed my mind. 🙁  I’m still not sure exactly what I believe is right so to be on the safe side I’d just like to stay as far away from trolls as possible.  I’ve been remembering the verses that say “to him, it is a sin,” even if it isn’t to others, and “avoid any appearance of evil.”

Dekreel, I know you’re in a difficult position here because you’ve already started the story with both of us in it, but would it be at all possible to just leave me out of the next couple of installments until the troll disappears?  I know you say my character is loved, but you don’t consistently keep in the really beloved characters like Daeus, Josiah, and Snapper.  I wouldn’t mind if you mentioned me, and you could explain my absence by saying I was taking care of a job on the other side of the kingdom or something?

Warren I know I said I wouldn’t mind fighting an army of trolls, but I’d rather just not, as I said above.  I’m so sorry!  If you have any other (fictional) creatures to fight, I’d be more than glad to.  I just really don’t want to be associated with trolls at all.

Please forgive me, guys, for the sudden change of mind!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Ariel Ashira
                @ariel-ashira
                  • Total Posts: 739

@rochellaine Don’t apologize.  I couldn’t agree with you more, but even if I disagreed, I would still appreciate you being so real with us!  Thank you for all you have said.

@cacatwing I love your cat!  Looks so much like mine, except mine are outdoors.

@warrenluther04
                  I hope you aren’t scared to put me in a story after all this.  🙂 It takes a talented writer to juggle all these real life characters and their preferences.

And I am really only afraid of dragons until I get to know them.  And I am not shy.

Thank you all for being real friends and working things out!

"In a mask, was he?"

Ariel Ashira
                  @ariel-ashira

@warrenluthet04 Maybe just dont put me in with any fairies or elves.  I have been thinking about it, and I dont think its a good idea for me.  Thank you for understanding!

"In a mask, was he?"

Ariel Ashira
                    @ariel-ashira

@warrenluther04

"In a mask, was he?"

WarrenLuther04
                      @warrenluther04
                        • Total Posts: 270

@catwing So no Grovensor until his schedule is freed up. Okay! 😀

Oh my gosh your cat is cute!!! I used to have a cat who slept behind our pillows on our bed. *fondly remembers cat*

Thanks! Umm…if you can fit them all, I’d like to at least include me, Snapper, you, Dekreel, FileWriter, and Sam and Stan. (I really hope I just gave you too many characters….)

@rochellaine
                        Oh, okay. I will keep you away from troll-things. 🙂 Maybe I’ll have you fight an army of snakes instead…. *ponders* And you don’t need to ask forgiveness; it is your character so I want to stay as accurate as possible. 🙂

@ariel-ashira
                        I’m not scared, I like challenges. Thanks both to you and Rochellaine for clarifying! (@rochellaine)

Kapeefer 'Till We're Old and Grey!
                        ENFJ-T ... I think (haven't taken the quiz in awhile)

WarrenLuther04
                        @warrenluther04

A Dog in the Kingdom of Pen

Part 2: The Talking Squirrel

Warren Luther stared at the spot where Catwing had been hovering. A Cheshire Catwing…he hadn’t even heard of catwings before today and now there were Cheshire Catwings??? And a Sheriff named Rochellaine who doesn’t believe in Catwings or talking squirrels?

“Kingdom Pen is awesome,” Warren finally decided. He walked over to his bed, his claws clicking on the wooden floor. He turned in three circles around his bed, then slumped down, putting his head on his paws. Then, he fell asleep.

A couple of days had passed, and Warren had become accustomed to life in the Kingdom of Pen. He had explored around Kapeeferton, which was where his house was, and met more KaPeeFers. Snapper had popped in to see him a couple more times, and he had spotted Dekreel, too.

He was walking through the center of Kapeeferton when he encountered a KaPeeFer. However, this was a KaPeeFer like none he had ever seen. It was a talking squirrel. Dekreel was talking to the squirrel, and there was another girl standing slightly in the shadows, jotting in a notebook. But Warren’s attention was captivated by the squirrel. He cocked his head and his right ear pricked up. He tensed as his back legs prepared for a burst of speed. Then Dekreel noticed him staring at the squirrel and waved to him.

“Warren!” the Chasm Beast called. “Come meet Valentine!” Warren sprang forward, but walked over in order to not scare the squirrel. He was dubious about talking squirrels, and since he was a dog he naturally wanted to chase it. The squirrel stared up at him.

“You’re a talking golden retriever,” the squirrel commented. “Don’t dogs chase squirrels, Dekreel?” Dekreel suddenly looked worried.

“Warren Luther, meet MNValentine,” she introduced. “Valentine, this is Warren. Warren, do try not to chase Valentine all over the Kingdom, will you?” Valentine waved her paw tentatively.

“Hi,” the squirrel said. “I’ve never met a talking golden retriever before.” Warren bobbed his head up and down, his ears wiggling and his tail beginning to wag.

“And I’ve never met a talking squirrel before,” he responded. “You’re a KaPeeFer too?”

“Yes,” Valentine answered. “And if you do chase me, try not to plan on actually catching me.” She paused for a moment, looking past Warren.

“The most Perfect of Fifths!” a Voice called out. “I can cut your cake and pie into the most Perfect of Fifths!” At the words “cake and pie,” MNValentine’s head snapped up, and she bolted away.

After he had met Valentine, life in the Kingdom of Pen had progressed as normal for Warren. Every day, the raspberry sun rose in the east of the Kingdom and set in the west. He spent most of his days reading and figuring out how to write with his paws, and he also wandered around Kapeeferton, exploring.

It was on one of these exploration days that he wandered across Kapeeferton to the Keeper Forest. His paws padded softly across the leaf-strewn ground, and dappled light filtered through the branches. Warren marveled at the near-perfection of the trees, and he paused to stare up through their branches. Muffled chattering echoed through the woods, and his ears swivelled forward as he tried to pinpoint the location of the squirrels. Warren inhaled deeply, allowing his enhanced dog scenting abilities to help him. Then, he sprang forward and dashed away down a side path.

As he ran down the path, he occasionally caught sight of brown blurs leaping from branch to branch. Warren quickened his pace, and soon came to a large oak tree in the center of the forest. He pawed at the roots and gave a whine. Squirrels dashed up and down the trunk, chattering away in their own squirrel language. Warren saw a couple of them staring at him, and he gave a warning bark.

Suddenly, a squirrel flew down from one of the uppermost branches. Warren looked it up and down, for he had never seen a flying squirrel before. The squirrel was reddish-brown, similar coloring to MNValentine. It had a fluffy tail, but the most defining factor of the squirrel was what was between its front and back legs. There was a sort of furred webbing there, and when the squirrel stretched out the webbing stretched as well.

“What do you want, golden retriever?” the squirrel questioned. Warren jumped back.

“I … I was just passing through Keeper Forest when I heard squirrels chattering,” Warren replied. “I was wondering what was going on.” At this, the squirrel leaped back as if she had stepped on an earthworm and hissed a catlike hiss. “Who are you?” The squirrel stepped forward regally.

“I am Riddlewit, Queen of the Flying Squirrels of the Kingdom of Pen,” Riddlewit proclaimed. “This is the Eesahmark, the ancient home of the flying squirrels. As for what is going on,” the queen paused for a moment, “follow me, golden retriever.” With that, Riddlewit leapt off of the branch she had been standing on and glided through the trees. Warren bounded after her, and even though he was much larger than her, he had a hard time keeping up with her.

Riddlewit led him around curves and through narrow gaps until they had reached the edge of the Keeper Forest. Warren slowed to a halt and gasped. A giant mountain range rose up in front of him, a mountain range that he had glimpsed the back of when he had first arrived.

“What’s wrong about this?” Warren breathed. “These mountains are amazing!” For indeed they were. The rock of the individual mountains varied: some being darker, almost black, where others were a near-gold color, like maple syrup.

“Look before you, golden retriever, and see if you think that they are so amazing,” the queen answered. Warren did as she told, and he gasped. At the base of the darkest mountain, a cavernous hole gaped, illuminated by a ghostly blue light. And a Griffin lay on the sand, a couple of hundred paw lengths before him. At first, Warren mistook the Griffin for being dead, but when the Griffin’s side moved he leapt forward.

“Riddlewit!” Warren cried in dismay. “What is this?” Riddlewit padded to the Griffin, and Warren slumped onto the sand in front of the poor, beautiful creature.

“There is a great Evil inside that cave, one that the Kingdom has never seen the likes of before,” Riddlewit said grimly. “It has slumbered for so long, many KaPeeFers have forgotten of its existence. However, this poor Griffin ventured too far from Eskrey and the henchmen of Evil knocked him unconscious. Poor Ezi!” Warren turned to look at her. The fur around Riddlewit’s eyes were stained a dark brown, and with a shock Warren realized that the queen was crying.

“Ezi?” he asked tentatively. “Is that his name?” Riddlewit nodded, her chest rising and falling as she sobbed.

“Ezi is FileWriter’s pet,” Riddlewit replied. “CATWING!!!” Her chatter echoed through the forest as Riddlewit’s gaze bounced from tree to tree. Suddenly, a grin appeared, followed by the rest of the black, tabby Cheshire Catwing.

“Queen Riddlewit,” Catwing greeted. “What is it?” Riddlewit motioned carelessly with her tail to Ezi. As her gaze landed on the poor Griffin, Catwing gasped and her tail bristled.

“We must get Ezi to Eskrey at once,” Riddlewit said urgently. “Can you go on ahead and alert King Daeus and FileWriter?” Catwing nodded once, her black feathers rippling as she flapped to keep aloft.

“Yes,” the Cheshire Catwing replied. She grinned, and she Vanished. Having given her message, Riddlewit turned to Warren.

“You know, I never got your name, golden retriever,” the queen commented.

“Oh!” Warren yipped, shocked. “I’m sorry! I’m Warren.” The flying squirrel nodded.

“Well, Warren, it is good that you are a dog and not a squirrel,” Riddlewit said. “For we will need your speed to get to Eskrey.”

Starring:

@warrenluther04

@dekreel

@mnvalentine

Riddlewit, Queen of the Flying Squirrels of the Kingdom of Pen

Ezi the Griffin

@catwing

With References To:

@perfectfifths

@filewriterbase13x

@daeus-lamb

Tags:

@daeus
                          @kate-flournoy @allison-grace @jenwriter17 @ariel-ashira @supermonkey42 @filewriterbase13x @that_writer_girl_99 @ingridrd @everyone-else-that-I-forgot-to-tag

WarrenLuther04
                          @warrenluther04

Oh welp. It’s @daeus . 😅

(This is an important part of the story by the way! *barks mischievously* 😀 )

Oh, @dekreel , I just made up Keeper Forest. It’s right next to Kapeeferton, I basically made it all of the green that surrounds Kapeeferton up until the Treacle Peaks. 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by WarrenLuther04. Reason: Map Updates for Dekreel 😀

Ariel Ashira
                            @ariel-ashira

@warrenluther04. I love it!  Nice job.  And thanks for tagging me. 🙂

"In a mask, was he?"

WarrenLuther04
                              @warrenluther04

@ariel-ashira Thanks! No problem. 🙂

Oh, and this has a lot of possible foreshadowing for further parts of the story…. Muhahahah! *tail wags happily*

😋 🐶

Ariel Ashira
                                @ariel-ashira

@warrenluther04. Oh, I bet!  Cant wait for the next part!

That’s my problem.  I have no choice but to wait.  🙁

"In a mask, was he?"

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 205 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >