@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Greta replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Sorry, I just kind of put all my thoughts out there. 😛
-
Greta replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
The existence of God is a given. Now this one sounds like an absolute no-brainer, but when you think about it it really isn’t. I mean, how easy would it be to assume the person reading your book is a staunch atheist and just dump all the evidence for God’s existence off on them? Very easy.
The thing is, when a reader picks up a piece of fic… -
Kate Flournoy started the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Okay, so I really like to analyze books when I read them— and not just books either. Any kind of story. And lately I’ve been trying to figure out how so many of the old classical authors managed to not only fit Christianity into their stories, but actually portray it well and without shoving it down the reader’s throat.
Here are a few things…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Rapunzel's Hair in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 8 months ago
That is totally adorable. Sure, go for it! And name it Rapunzel. That would be so cute. 🙂
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Rapunzel's Hair in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 8 months ago
Looking up winged cats, I came across this. It’s a bit off topic (though maybe I could name the cat/griffin Rapunzel and work that in…) but this was too cute to not post.

-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Rapunzel's Hair in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 8 months ago
You know, I don’t know if Rapunzel (I’m going to change her name, I think) has been locked in a tower her whole life. I might just have her have long gold hair that reaches her knees or something when braided…
Also, I’m thinking about introducing some fantasy characters. What do you all think about these cute things: 🙂
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Revised Logo Here…what do you think? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
I like #3
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Revised Logo Here…what do you think? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
#4
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Revised Logo Here…what do you think? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
I like number three. And “yay” you remembered the E. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Rapunzel's Hair in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 8 months ago
Hm… has your Rapunzel character been shut up in this tower all her life? She might not even know what scissors are. She might think her hair is an absolutely essential part of her— maybe she thinks cutting it off would kill her. (Thank goodness that’s not true 😛 )
And I don’t imagine she has much else to do in that tower, so taking care of…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Rapunzel's Hair in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 8 months ago
Hm… has your Rapunzel character been shut up in this tower all her life? She might not even know what scissors are. She might think her hair is an absolutely essential part of her— maybe she thinks cutting it off would kill her. (Thank goodness that’s not true 😛 )
And I don’t imagine she has much else to do in that tower, so taking care of…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Escape scene critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 8 months ago
Oooh… oh yes @Daeus, that could totally work with Denholm! Oh boy… I may have to try that. 😛 He’s a really… intellectually geeky sort of guy, for the lack of a better word. He likes using really deep, obscure concepts to bewilder other people just for fun.
-
Greta replied to the topic My first fantasy novel in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Congratulations, Hannah! 😀
-
Hope Ann started the topic Rapunzel's Hair in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 8 months ago
I’m rewriting a fairy tale about Rapunzel and am trying to figure out her hair. I don’t have to have my retelling exactly like the original story, of course, and I fully intend to change some things and add twists of my own. However, I need to figure out something with Rapunzel’s hair, or to stand in for it. It’s unnatural for hair to grow as long…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Another Cobalt Scene in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 8 months ago
You know what @writefury, I would absolutely love that, but I can’t say I’ll have the time. :/
Let me know when you’ve finished it, and I’ll see if I can fit it in with my schedule.
Winter is usually an incredibly busy time for us as a family, what with plowing the steep driveway and ferrying our cabin guests up and down in our 4wheel drive.…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Escape scene critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 8 months ago
Hm… well @writefury, he would probably begin by telling whoever asked everything that his name was not. 😛 From there he would probably devolve into some convoluted explanation of why his name wasn’t important and how there are other things to worry about, and wind up with some completely random thought that would leave the questioner in such a…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann started the topic Writers' Conferences in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Does anyone know of any good Christian Writer Conferences? I’d love to go to a Writers’ conference or retreat sometime but am not sure where to start looking.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic An Author's Advice in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
I would ask my favourite author “how does she come up with such exciting and wonderful ideas to write about?”
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Series Title in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 8 months ago
I like Sagas of Light and Epics of Light, but I’m afraid my novellas aren’t really long enough to qualify…
I might just stick with Legends of Light because that’s stayed my favorite so far.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Escape scene critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 8 months ago
You know this is really funny, @writefury, but because your Cobalt and my Denholm are similar personalities I find myself comparing how one would act in a certain situation to how the other would act. I’m beginning to find distinctions— Denholm in this situation would probably not have tried the whiny approach (I absolutely love the way Cobalt…[Read more]
- Load More
