Escape scene critique

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests Escape scene critique

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rosey Mucklestone
    @writefury
      • Total Posts: 467

Okay, so more Cobalt for those of you who enjoyed that before. 😛
      This is a short bit after Cobalt… um… rather ungracefully alerted two of the pursuing bad-guy-henchdudes of his presence by starting off a self-playing piano. He was then chased and caught. This is the aftermath.
      Tell me any corrections that need to be made and what you think!

The walk to the truck was not very fun. Both men took turns jerking on his arms, insulting him and shoving him in the “right direction” when he was already headed that way in the first place.
      A silver pickup truck sat by the curb, ready for their prisoner transport. Cobalt squinted at the windshield. Only two seats buckled, it looked like. There was a space in the middle, but no seatbelt.
      Not that he’d normally care, but it was still something to complain about.
      “What? I don’t even get a seatbelt now?” he whined as the first man threw open the door. “I thought I was a valuable prisoner!”
      “You are,” grunted the second man, “You’re also a very annoying one who’s not worth all the trouble we’ve taken to hunt him down.” He gave Cobalt a shove towards the car door.
      The soft noise of a motor came around the corner nearby and Cobalt looked.
      <em A policeman! That’s it! I just need to get his attention . . .
      “But, you know that’s really not safe,” Cobalt made his voice as loud as he could, “Riding without a seatbelt is . . .” he cleared his throat, “ . . . against the law. Some lucky policeman might have to give you a ticket.”
      The policeman’s window was down and he sat up straighter and frowned at Cobalt’s loud words.
      It’s working!
      “You know, you could be arrested for doing that?” Cobalt kept his voice at the loud whiny pitch he’d used before.
      “Yes, and that’s not all that important right now. Just a silly little seatbelt law,” the first man took the driver’s seat, “And I believe it’s really a fine, not arrest, for driving without a seatbelt.”
      Cobalt tipped his head back as the police car drove slowly past, “That may be true, but I’m sure you could be arrested for kidnapping me.”
      The sound of a car door slammed behind them and footsteps approached from behind, “All right, what’s going on here?” said a suspicious, younger voice.
      Cobalt was quickly released from the second man’s tight grip.
      “Weeee . . .” the one in the car began a cautious explanation and a meaningful look was exchanged between the two men. “Have you seen the newspaper ad about the escaped mental patient?”
      “Yes?” the young deputy put a hand on his hip and frowned at the little group in front of him.
      “Well, this is the kid, and we’re going to take him back.” Cobalt was nudged towards the truck, more gently this time. “Go on, get in.”
      “Though it doesn’t look like you have seatbelts enough for everyone, now does it? How else would you plan on transporting this patient if your seatbelt for him is nonexistent?”
      “There is one!” blurted the man in the car.
      “Do tell,” an eyebrow was raised on both the policeman and Cobalt.
      “Just come over here and I’ll show you.”
      Reluctantly, the deputy came over and watched as the seatbelt was hunted for in between the seats. For a second, it looked like he had something, but it turned out to be an old, hard licorice stick.
      The policeman nodded, “Well, boys, that just won’t do. Sorry to trouble you like this, but it looks like I’m going to have to be the one to take him in. I’ll drop your names though, if you tell them to me.” He turned and frowned, “Wait, where’d the kid go?”
      The drainpipe was loud and windy down below in the ditch, but Cobalt was still able to hear the swearing in German up above and snicker.

(the henchmen are from this German rebel bad guy organization. Hence the German bit. Anyway.)

Hope Ann
      @hope
        • Total Posts: 1092

One question, why didn’t the bad guys notice the policeman? And what happens to the second bad guy who should be watching Cobalt? Wait, that was two questions… 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Okay, so more Cobalt for those of you who enjoyed that before.

Count me in that number. 😛

And the only things I had questions about was what @hope pointed out— what happened to the other bad guy and why didn’t the bad guys notice the policeman.

Otherwise, I loved it as I always do. Question that has nothing to do with the quality of the excerpt— what does Cobalt look like? ‘Cause for some reason I see him with blonde hair and blue eyes. The ‘blue eyes’ part probably has to do with his name, but how close am I?

Oh, and will you please, please, pretty please post the scene where he accidentally sets off the self-playing piano? Please? I didn’t know there was such a thing as a self-playing piano, but that’s got to be one of the most humiliating and exasperating ways to be discovered when you were trying to sneak around. 😛
          And I wanna see how Cobalt handled it.

Because… I like this guy.

Rosey Mucklestone
          @writefury

@hope and @kate-flournoy Thanks! I was afraid I’d missed something like that. 😛 The policeman thing, Cobalt was supposed to be facing the opposite way from them, away from the car, so he saw it and they didn’t. But yeah, I did kind of drop the other henchman at that part. XD Will fix that.

@kate-flournoy
            Correct on the blue eyes, though he has black hair, not blonde. I have a nice moment between two bad guys where one pulls out his picture and goes “This is our target”. And I describe him there. Except he’s crossing his eyes and making a face at the camera. XD
            Okay, sure! 😀

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

You know this is really funny, @writefury, but because your Cobalt and my Denholm are similar personalities I find myself comparing how one would act in a certain situation to how the other would act. I’m beginning to find distinctions— Denholm in this situation would probably not have tried the whiny approach (I absolutely love the way Cobalt pulled that off by the way!). He would have been more likely to pretend to be all cocky, making knowing faces and dazzling smiles and hinting at something he knew that his captors didn’t, and how they were going to be in big trouble if they didn’t let him go— trying to creep them into submission.
              Anyway– it’s just fun to see how two very similar characters might nevertheless differ in their approach. 🙂

Rosey Mucklestone
              @writefury

Love it, @kate-flournoy! XD It is fun seeing how they’d approach different situations. Let’s see… what would Denholm do if he’s a wanted man by his given name and someone asks his name? (Cobalt pulled on a Scottish accent and said his name was Angus McCampbell.)

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy

Hm… well @writefury, he would probably begin by telling whoever asked everything that his name was not. 😛 From there he would probably devolve into some convoluted explanation of why his name wasn’t important and how there are other things to worry about, and wind up with some completely random thought that would leave the questioner in such a muddle the question would be forgotten. 😉
                  Or he would pull a completely straight face and give something utterly and obviously ridiculous, then shut his mouth and refuse to say more.

But Cobalt’s method is equally fantastic. 😀

Rosey Mucklestone
                  @writefury

Haha, nice! XD Neither of those seems like things too far off Cobalt’s option list. 😛

Daeus
                    @daeus
                      • Total Posts: 4238

Ever thought about having one of these two convince their captor that they didn’t exist? My friends have always told me that is what I would do if I got in a fix, and honesty, I think it might work. Of course it would depend a lot on the captor.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

Oooh… oh yes @Daeus, that could totally work with Denholm! Oh boy… I may have to try that. 😛 He’s a really… intellectually geeky sort of guy, for the lack of a better word. He likes using really deep, obscure concepts to bewilder other people just for fun.

Daeus
                        @daeus
                          • Total Posts: 4238

I like this guy.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rosey Mucklestone
                          @writefury

I’ll have to jot this strategy down. XD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >