-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic A Rather Belated Introduction in the forum Start HERE 4 years, 10 months ago
Exactly. Fanny’s humility and quiet strength are so underrepresented in modern literature. My favorites of her books are probably Persuasion, Mansfield Park, Pride and Prejudice, and Northanger Abbey (that last one is her lightest work, in my opinion).
OooooOooOo, yes. I hope my books turn out as good as the authors’ who inspired them.…[Read more]
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic A Rather Belated Introduction in the forum Start HERE 4 years, 10 months ago
@madelyn, hi!
So…if your post was belated, so is this reply. Sorry.
I am literally (quite literally) going to rattle my chair apart with exitement. C. S. Lewis, S. D. Smith, Andrew Peterson, Jane Austen, AND Chuck Black?! Sir Dalton is amazing. We just finished listening to Sir Quinlan for the second time this evening. YOU LIKE FANNY PRICE?…[Read more]
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic Help. I Just Don't Get the Appeal of the Wingfeather Saga in the forum Fantasy 4 years, 10 months ago
@not-so-secret-secret-assassin
No, I would not say all the excitement is from the last two books. What I will say is that the last books are powerful and that they drive home the lessons and themes one doesn’t catch at first glance in the earlier books. Wingfeather is one of the few series that gets better as time goes on.
Honestly, I too love…[Read more]
-
Koshka replied to the topic Help. I Just Don't Get the Appeal of the Wingfeather Saga in the forum Fantasy 4 years, 10 months ago
What I like about the first book?
- The writing style. It reminded me of classics; something I can’t find enough of.
- The antics. Sure some of the cliches got to me, but they were well written ones. Besides, a cliche is only an overused good tactic.
- The characters. Their troubles were relatable and not overdone. Some of Janner’s mistakes…
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic How do I make a non-cliche escape scene? in the forum Plotting 4 years, 10 months ago
Oooooo, it sounds really good, and has a unique flavor.
Finding a gift through captivity? I think you just helped me with one of my WIPs. 🙂
Thank you, it was fun!
Just because, here is an escape cliche pet peeve of mine:
Saying “I think we’ll make it!” just before getting caught.
*Rueful laugh*
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic How do I make a non-cliche escape scene? in the forum Plotting 4 years, 10 months ago
This is a great question. I am currently on a quest to seek and destroy cliches, so this is fantastic.
Let’s see.
Work in the personality of your character. Jesper might pick the lock, Picket might (try to) dig out, fight out, etc., and Janner would work the system against itself (and fight like mad if it didn’t work). Every person sees things…[Read more]
-
Koshka replied to the topic When is it okay to defy the government? in the forum Mission, Calling & Ethics 4 years, 10 months ago
Wow, everyone has such good, solid answers. All I can think of probably doesn’t apply to your story, so I’ll be brief.
There are christians and missionaries in Islamic countries where all other religions are illegal.
Are those christians rebelling? In a sense yes.
Are they actively overthrowing those governments? Not exactly.
Are they wrong?…[Read more]
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic When is it okay to defy the government? in the forum Mission, Calling & Ethics 4 years, 10 months ago
When is it okay to rebel? Good question, and here’s my questionably good answer(which is basically what everyone else has said. Those were great answers, ya’ll!). When government goes against what is right or godly, we have to speak up. To go along with evil is a sin, or as the Word says, “to him who knoweth to do good, and doeth it not,…[Read more]
-
Koshka replied to the topic Help. I Just Don't Get the Appeal of the Wingfeather Saga in the forum Fantasy 4 years, 10 months ago
First book. You either enjoy or you don’t. I liked the writing style, the world, and the characters, but I will admit the plot could have been stronger. (Although I personally enjoyed it.)
Second book. Developes the character flaws we got a glimpse of in the end of the first book. Stepping stone to the next books yes, but this is where the story…[Read more]
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic Help. I Just Don't Get the Appeal of the Wingfeather Saga in the forum Fantasy 4 years, 10 months ago
I think the message is clear: READ ON. IT GETS BETTER AND IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!
🙂 😉
And considering this was his first venture into fantasy, and the last book was written after ten years of thought, the series definitely gets better.
-
Koshka replied to the topic This is Koshka, and these are her books in the forum Start HERE 4 years, 10 months ago
I’ll tell you as soon as the first draft is beta ready, and I will be needing help along the way. Thank you!
Exactly. Sometimes I want to smash the computer.
Ok, I will rephrase that. Thank you! (I enjoyed writing that part. The epilogue is vaguely based off of the book And God Was There.)
Oh good! I love writing transliterated…[Read more]
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic Help. I Just Don't Get the Appeal of the Wingfeather Saga in the forum Fantasy 4 years, 10 months ago
@not-so-secret-secret-assassin
I understand if the series isn’t for you. We were actually very sceptical of it at first, especially of the fangs. I also see where the first book could be cliche or slow. He uses many plot points we are all too familiar with, and there are a few things that are a bit unrealistic. Then, why do I like them? Well,…[Read more]
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic Daily Dewdrops! in the forum General Writing Discussions 4 years, 10 months ago
That’s beautiful.
This is a brilliant idea!
So…we can share encouraging things? Hmm.
Isaiah 42:16 “And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things strait. These things will I do unto them, and…[Read more]
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic Wingfeather Saga in the forum Book Discussions 4 years, 10 months ago
Oh, it’s fine! I was just checking. (Docs was acting up.)
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic Wingfeather Saga in the forum Book Discussions 4 years, 10 months ago
No, it’s plotting mutiny.
-
Koshka replied to the topic Wingfeather Saga in the forum Book Discussions 4 years, 10 months ago
(And as few people read this thread I’ll join in) It was fun to write.
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic Wingfeather Saga in the forum Book Discussions 4 years, 10 months ago
Is it letting you comment? I’m asking this because for a moment it said there were several comments, but then it changed its mind. I’m just checking to make sure it’s not plotting mutiny.
-
Koshka's profile was updated 4 years, 10 months ago
-
Elishavet Elroi replied to the topic Wingfeather Saga in the forum Book Discussions 4 years, 10 months ago
I think that’s The End. We had imagined much more, but it’s hard to write it all and keep it meaningful.
-
Koshka replied to the topic Our Book Premises Nerd Space in the forum General Writing Discussions 4 years, 10 months ago
I think that’s what I’m thinking…
- Load More
