This is Koshka, and these are her books

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE This is Koshka, and these are her books

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Koshka
    @koshka
      • Total Posts: 1428

I was convinced by my older brother, Power, to join Kingdom Pen. I am an aspiring author, a homeschooled Texan, a twin, and a Bible quizzer, among other things, of course. I am trying to write three different books at the moment, all of which are still mainly residing in my head although I’ve been working on most of them for over a year. Three are fantastical fiction, all in the same world. The first follows wolf brothers Zlatan and Vulkasin as they are faced with a nation that has lost the paths of the Ancient One (Isaiah). This book deals with sacrifice, fear, right vs. wrong, and spiritual wickedness in high places. The second book follows Wilkins and Spion, fox prisoners in a POW camp. Deals with persecution, hope, strength through weakness, and some other stuff I haven’t worked out yet. The last and most recent is historical fiction (an Irish family in Texas pre, mid, and post the American civil war. A story of pain, bitterness, hope and healing). I enjoy reading and writing poetry, although most of mine isn’t good, and I can’t write free verse at all. Some of my favorite authors are S. D. Smith, C. S. Lewis, Jane Austin, Chuck Black, and LaJoyce Martin. I draw and want to illustrate my own books. I hope this was not too much.j

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Anatra
      @anatra23
        • Total Posts: 211

@koshka

Hullo! Nice to meet you.

Those sound like some pretty dramatic books 🙂

I am so bad at poetry XD I’ve tried, and I’ve failed. Knowing me I’ll prolly try again in the next year or so, learn nothing, and fail again lol.

Random question if you will, how do you feel about wearing socks inside out, with holes?

Jodi Maile
        @jodi-maile
          • Total Posts: 138

@koshka

Hello! Welcome to the Kingdom! I’m Jodi, I write a lot of things but fantasy, historical fiction, and dystopia are my go-to genres.

I have to tell you that I love the sound of your books!! They totally sound like something I would have stayed up waaaay too late reading when I was in middle school and had more time to read 🙂

I also love poetry! Who’s your favorite poet right now? I like Robert Frost, I love poetry with nature themes.

Koshka
          @koshka

Nice to meet you too! With poetry, I’ve found that it will often write itself if it wants to, so to speak, and if it doesn’t there is little I can do, hence why I can’t write free verse. Once I had to at least try for Writing and Grammer, but instead ended up with a rymed poem of why I can’t.

Holes in socks drive me distracted, no matter if they are right-side out or not.

Thank you! I hope the actual manuscript s will fulfill what’s in my head.

That’s a hard question. I’ve been reading a collection of English poetry, and I haven’t settled on a new favorite yet. My last favorite was C. S. Lewis. If you have any suggestions I would love to look into them. I also like nature poetry, especially when you can feel the words.

Jodi Maile
            @jodi-maile
              • Total Posts: 138

@koshka I love C.S. Lewis too! I used to have a list of poets/poetry that I liked, I’ll be sure to send some of my favorites your way if I find it again 🙂

Koshka
              @koshka

Thanks!

And question from the newbie, do I tag the author of a question in my answer? I’m a little confused.

Anatra
                @anatra23
                  • Total Posts: 211

@koshka

Good poetry advice. That’s kind of what I’ve found free-writing or pantsing my book looks like.

Ikr? Wearing socks inside out is fine with me, but the holes–no matter how I try and patch them up–I can’t XD

You can tag the person you’re responding to if you want. It just notifies them (usually via email) that you’re addressing them. Makes it easier when talking to multiple people 😛

Scoutillus Finch
                  @scoutfinch180
                    • Total Posts: 413

@koshka

Nice to meet you! You’re story ideas sound fascinating!

One tip i can offer for finishing stories i recently discovered (being very terrible at finishing my writings) is to have an ending in mind when you start out. You can experiment with differing things, but so far, I’ve found it really helps me to have a loose idea of where I’m going. I’m kinda a novice, but I thought I’d share my recent discovery with you if it helps get the story on paper.😊

Your historical fiction sounds so interesting! I’ve sometimes thought of writing a historical fiction from the perspective of a confederate soldier showing the humanity of both sides of the civil war… but I’m such a fantasy girl I don’t know if I could keep the magic out (already struggling to do that with my (sorta)sci-fi WIP)

Do you have a preferred writing style or genre? I prefer fantasy and tend to have a wordy style.

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Koshka
                    @koshka

Thanks for the tip! I usually struggle with describing a scene, well actually with writing much at all. I have the entire book in my head, but for some reason it won’t come out on paper. I have an extremely vivid imagination, but describing the things I ‘see’ is difficult.

I love history, especially the little known odd-ball facts. (Such as arsenic was used as a dye in the 1860’s south. It made a beautiful green!)

I’ve never felt comfortable writing about magic, so although I am writing fantasy there is none in my books. However, I enjoy Narnia, Anniera, and most Tolkin and Christian Anderson I’ve read. I haven’t had time to read the Lord of the Rings.

I prefer writing in either third person or omniscient. The only writing I’ve done on my own has been fantasy, historical fiction, or poetry.

If you could go back to any time in history, (or other world) what would it be?

Tasha Van Kesteren
                      @melancholic-writer
                        • Total Posts: 15

@koshka[quote quote=105284]a Bible quizzer[/quote]

I’m a Bible Quizzer too! What Church do you go to?

Koshka
                        @koshka

@melancholic-writer

Sorry I took so long getting back with you.

I go to a UPCI church. I have quizzed for five years (2022 will be my sixth). I love it!!!

How about you? (Translate each of these answers into questions and answer them for-*beeeep* Red One interupintion)

Tasha Van Kesteren
                          @melancholic-writer

@koshka
                            I go to GDAC church. This is my fourth year quizzing and my first year as captain. Do you quiz in a distrect? And if you do, do you have internationals for your quizzing?

Koshka
                            @koshka

I quiz in the Texas district, so yes I do. I believe we have had teams from the border, but I think their church was in Texas. We have districts in every State and Canada, so if that counts as internationals… I’ve been wanting to start a program to add in other non-english speaking groups, but it would be a ‘bit’ difficult.

Ooo, captaining can be fun! I was my teams captain up untill this last year when we joined my older brother’s team. (We had aged out of Intermediates. Our divisions are Beginners 3-7 I think, Juniors 8-11, Intermediate Seniors 12-14, and Expirinced Seniors 15-18.)

Koshka
                              @koshka

@melancholic-writer

Tasha Van Kesteren
                                @melancholic-writer

@koshka

Oh kool! We just have quizzing for grades 7-12. [quote quote=105443]We have districts in every State and Canada, so if that counts as internationals[/quote]

International is where the best quizzers from each district go and quiz against each other. (Each district send like 1 or 2 teams.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >