Help. I Just Don’t Get the Appeal of the Wingfeather Saga

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Help. I Just Don’t Get the Appeal of the Wingfeather Saga

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

And actually, yes. There is a dark past to Podo Helmer for the Wingfeather kids to uncover–but it doesn’t come into play until the second book. You have to keep reading, even if it was the most boring thing you’ve ever read. Finish it, and THEN you can say “This is trash!” or “Hey, I kinda like this” or “I love it.”

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Not-So-Secret Secret Assassin
      @not-so-secret-secret-assassin
        • Total Posts: 133

@devastate-lasting
        True. Where do all those Eastern Dragons be tho?

@trahia-the-minstrel

True. True. I actually liked the three introductions when I first read it too. I thought it was a deliberate poke at all the fantasy clichés. I hoped the story would be a somewhat fun yet heartfelt parody of the common fantasy stories. However, the rest of the book was just unironically cliché. Not fun to read.

The footnotes too were pretty good at first, until I realized they didn’t really add anything to the story. So I just had to start skipping them.

I’m not sure I want to have to get through another mediocre book and a half to get to the end of book 3? Is it still worth reading if I don’t like any of the characters?

@r-m-archer

Thanks for your reply.

Besides the writing style, was there anything else that appealed to you in the first book? I’m still trying to wrap my head around the appeal of the first book. And is it still worth reading if I don’t like any of the characters?

I guess one of the other reasons why I didn’t like the footnotes and the writing style was that it felt like it was trying too hard.  There’s a stark difference between charm and humor that is forced and then charm and humor that flows naturally. When it doesn’t flow naturally, it just becomes sort of cringe.

You don’t remember the second book? That’s not a good sign.

I’m just not really sure how to get myself to keep reading after a less than spectacular first book. I don’t know.

@e-k-seaver

If there are four books in a series, and only two of them are good, that means that the series as a whole is 50% on the mark.
        50% by school standards is an F.
        Therefore, the series across the board is an F.
        I rest my case.

@nova21

=O

@elishavet-pidyon

Thanks for your reply to my review.

But due to my trauma from the first book, I might need some therapy before reading on.

But my impression from reading this forum thread, is that all the hype for this series comes from the last two books apparently? Is that right?

I’m honestly kind of scared to read the second book. All the characters kind of annoyed me, and I don’t really want to read about them anymore. So, could you maybe give me a brief idea about what the book is about and some reasons to read it?  What kind of issues does it have? Don’t worry about giving spoilers. I don’t mind.

Also, if you were skeptical of the first book, what prompted you to keep reading? What else did you like about the first books specifically? Again, I just can’t see anything good about the first book.

Also, the writing style and the way Peterson set up the story already says a lot about his writing. It’s really hard for me to foresee it improving.

@koshka

I’m glad you liked it.
        But what specifically do you like about the first book? I just really want to understand.
        Also, I’m not sure I can stomach reading another sentence about Podo and his wackiness. To be honest, I did try reading the second book. But it was really difficult to even get through the first paragraph. Let alone the first page. What am I supposed to do if I don’t like any of the characters, like, at all?

I guess I just wish the first book had all the good character development, worldbuilding, and plot that is supposedly in the last two books.

The first book just really, really turned me off.

@keilah-h

Yeah, I actually read the How to Train Your Dragon books a long time ago.
        And sure, they were childish, but for some reason they still had a charm to them. They also had this self-depreciating, self-awareness to them that made them easy to read. I could tell that Peterson was trying to make his books charming and funny, but he just missed the mark. Maybe it’s because it felt forced and tried to take itself too seriously, whereas How to Train Your Dragon felt more natural.
        Also, Wingfeather wasn’t even that silly. It was just kinda cringe and boring. I don’t know.

Even if Podo has a backstory, he still came off as too wacky and annoying in the first book. My argument still stands.

And sure, I didn’t finish the other books, but I did finish the first book, so I can  still say that the first book is pretty much trash.

Soooooo are there more dragons in the following books? The first book had hardly any.

Flawless and handsome (as ruled by my grandmother.)

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer
          • Total Posts: 243

[quote quote=107506]Besides the writing style, was there anything else that appealed to you in the first book? I’m still trying to wrap my head around the appeal of the first book. And is it still worth reading if I don’t like any of the characters?[/quote]

I’ve recently started rereading it after a few years, so I’ll probably have a better answer after I finish it again, but I did like the characters. I especially liked Oscar, Peet, and Tink in the first book, and I could somewhat connect with Janner since he’s an oldest sibling and works around books. And I liked several of the settings, like the bookstore and the cliff and the treehouse. But characters are a big thing, so I can understand not liking the first book if you didn’t like the characters. They do become more well-rounded in the following books, so it might be worth continuing to see if you connect with them better in the later books. Tink and Janner grow a lot, in particular.

[quote quote=107506]You don’t remember the second book? That’s not a good sign.[/quote]

I mean, that is just me. I know other readers who loved the second book. *shrugs*

[quote quote=107506]But my impression from reading this forum thread, is that all the hype for this series comes from the last two books apparently? Is that right?[/quote]

The only book I don’t love is the second one. I wholeheartedly recommend 1, 3, and 4 to people. The third and fourth are the best, yes, but if I thought both the first two were junk then I wouldn’t likely be so quick to recommend the series as a whole. (The third and fourth are good enough I still might, but I’d be more hesitant.) I genuinely enjoy the quirkiness of the first book. Which I know won’t change your mind on it but, at least for me, the hype isn’t solely from the third and fourth books.

[quote quote=107506]Also, the writing style and the way Peterson set up the story already says a lot about his writing. It’s really hard for me to foresee it improving.[/quote]

How un-gracious. All authors grow and improve in their writing, even already-published authors. Just because he published one lousy book doesn’t mean he can never write a good one, nor even that he can never write a good book in the same series.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Koshka
          @koshka
            • Total Posts: 1424

What I like about the first book?

1. The writing style. It reminded me of classics; something I can’t find enough of.
            2. The antics. Sure some of the cliches got to me, but they were well written ones. Besides, a cliche is only an overused good tactic.
            3. The characters. Their troubles were relatable and not overdone. Some of Janner’s mistakes slightly ruffled me, but the self vs. self conflict is developing.
            4. The illustrations. As an author wishing to illustrate my own books, the pictures topped off the book. They were so detailed and looked like what I’ve wanted in one of my own books.
            5. The setting. The world of Aerwiar is a beautiful creation which took me by storm.
            6. It was clean. I have a vivid imaginatio with everything playing out in my head, and I can’t forget senes. Instead what I see in real and book life will play around in my dreams. Thus I don’t read (or watch) graphic or bloody literature. This series was well written in said aspect, something I always appreciate. (If someone is badly wounded OF COURSE there will be much blood. I don’t need to be told!)

In several instances Podo was supposed to be annoying, sometimes your not supposed to like what he does. He grows past that, and is pushed more into a side character. He is out of the picture for most of the second book. He also grows older, and his wackyness fades a little as he ages.

To be honest, I struggled with the beginning of the second book. (However, that could have been influenced by the fact I was reading it on a road trip with rather twisty roads.) The character struggles felt a little thrown in, as if I had missed something in the first book. This straightens out.

That would depend on why or what about them you dislike.

1. If you are having trouble relating with one, try thinking of it as a real person you know. Why would they act like this? What is it they’re thinking? Imagine what their going through if it happened in your life. How would you respond to a similar situation? (Really how you would respond, not how you wish you would.)
            2. If you don’t like what there doing, figure out why they are doing it. These books are founded in shadows and types, so almost everything has a deeper meaning.

Andrew Peterson probably wishes the same thing. The second book is better in the world biulding aspect, and the characters grow in depth. There are still some confusing sentences, but those go away.

I suggest you skim read untill you get to the dragons. This book is good, but the first part iamay be a little difficult to read. (A few of the later chapters are too, but for completely different reasons.)

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Elishavet Pidyon
            @elishavet-pidyon
              • Total Posts: 1013

No, I would not say all the excitement is from the last two books. What I will say is that the last books are powerful and that they drive home the lessons and themes one doesn’t catch at first glance in the earlier books. Wingfeather is one of the few series that gets better as time goes on.

Honestly, I too love the characters, especially Artham, Janner, Esben(not Flavagole, I mean that would be redundant), Leeli, Kalmar, Oskar, and Hullwen. I liked the way Peterson wove a character’s past into their motives. I like to stop in the midst of a scene and rebuild it from another character’s POV, and his character’s seemed to welcome that.

Once again, I understand if they aren’t for you. Like C. S. Lewis once said, if it doesn’t help you, skip it. There are some books other Christain readers love, that are flies in my ointment.

So what is the second book about? Identity, loyalty, truth, desires, and bad choices.

And remember, don’t follow your heart, because you heart will betray you.

First: (the big impactful thing) Artham is captured while protecting the Jewels, leaving Janner with a clearer picture of what a Throne Warden is. Janner must then decide whether he will be a selfish, worthless boy, or Janner Wingfeather, Throne Warden of Aniera, a protector, a servant. One choice at a time.

Kalmar is also struggling with his own purpose. He has found himself in the center of a dreadful storm, and everything’s in confusion. He doesn’t want to be the king, but to avoid that, he would have to give up the thing he treasures most: his family and identity. He wants to be strong, free, and content, but the longer he runs from his calling, the closer he gets to the opposite of all those things.

When separated by betrayal, they must each make their own way to liberty. Janner, reeling from failure and befuddled by his own perceptions, is captured and forced to work in the Fork!Factory! a place of delusion, bitterness, and worthlessness. It is in the grime and darkness, however, that he sees through his own confusion to the truth about himself and the world. Honestly, this is one of my favorite parts in the whole series, and it foreshadows a key scene in the series’ conclusion.

While Janner finds hope in “the box”, Kalmar also gets captured, and drained of what hope he had. Trapped in lies and helplessness, he is broken. Lost. So Kalmar fails as well as Janner, because none of us are “strong enough”.

Janner *SPOILER* escapes, though at a cost and too late to save his brother. He sets off to find the rest of his family in the Snow Plains along with a friend of Kalmar’s. But in the safety of Kimeria, Janner realises the full impact of Kalmar’s loss, as well as his own guilt. I love this part, because it gives Janner a deeper understanding of his uncle. This really makes him understand the Throne Warden’s role, and most of all, makes him determined to fill it.

Unfortunately,(or fortunately) others have different ideas. Before the family can start their search for Kalmar, they are once more betrayed and facing a huge battle against the fangs.

But the Maker knows what he’s doing.

There in the Stone Keeper’s clutches the Maker’s healing thwarts what should have been a fatal loss. What they meant for evil, He turned for good. A victory is won where only defeat is feasible. I loved it when Artham finds healing and in four simple words mocks Gnag’s whole sceme. It is Artham who carries a now furry Kalmar from the depths of the Phoobs. I especially like how Kalmar’s plight saves Artham, and how when the Maker’s power is given rather than imitated/construed, it is greater. It’s like Moses’ rod and how it ate the Egyptian’s. God is greater than anything else.

It is in Hope’s last breath that the Janner really become who he was meant to be. When the sea turned red. (Yes, this part is a favorite. Janner shows how much he has grown here.)

There is still light in the darkness. Kalmar needs only to open his eyes. Sure, past mistakes will make this harder than it aught to be, but that’s for the next book to sort out. 😉

I like how sins and mistakes aren’t easily disposed of, but leave scars when healed. Those scars can be testimonies, weapons against evil. They can also be places of weakness, chinks in our armor. Both of these effects are here, as well as the fact that God can use all things for His glory. The themes are fantastic.

Problems? Hmm. I cringed at parts when characters were making angry, bad descions, but I always have, and they were done better here than in other books I’ve read. The whole stones and fang thing is a bit strange, but after seeing how it symbolized sin and corruption, I enjoyed it. It was well done, and carries on throughout the whole series. My only problem is I’d like to have a chat with the illustrator to have a few pictures redone. And maybe Maraly’s clothing gets on my nerves because she wears pants at times, but that’s not something a lot of people would be disturbed with. If I think of anything else, I’ll add it.

What made me read the first book (or any for that matter) was first, that my brother had figured out that the fanging was symbolism, and not anything weird. Second, the humor drew us in and made us want to hear more. Third, the whole idea behind the series captured my imagination and inspired me to write a book about exiled children of a dead king even when I didn’t like the Wingfeather Saga. Fourth, they made me think deeper about some things I hadn’t before. Lastly, I was curious about where it would go.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Power
              @power
                • Total Posts: 292

If you having a hard time reading the books, I recommend finding them in audiobook form. Then you don’t have to push yourself (Which could lead to you not liking the series even more).

You will love what you spend time with.

E. K. Seaver
                @e-k-seaver
                  • Total Posts: 344

Okay, cool. Honestly, I don’t care if you like it or not. It will not offend me either way. Like whatever you want book-wise. You don’t have to rest any case.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
                  ekseaver.wordpress.com

Keilah H.
                  @keilah-h

@e-k-seaver
                    has a point. You can like or dislike whatever book series you want.

Also, I think the dragons come into play more during the second book, and then they come in even more in the third and fourth.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h

@r-m-archer has a point too. Just because the author had one or two trashy books or even a whole trashy series doesn’t mean he can’t improve. (When I say “trashy,” I mean clichés, bad writing style and underdeveloped plot/characters/events. I don’t mean explicit content or bad teaching/morals.)

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm
                        • Total Posts: 635

I’m a tad bit late to the party, but um… here I am.

I tried reading The Wingfeather Saga a few months ago because I thought the cover was pretty epic and a lot of people on the forum liked it, but ummm…

I couldn’t finish it. And for pretty much all the reasons you listed in your essay. I can see why people would like it, and I might have liked it when I was seven, but yeah, it just made me frustrated.

I think it was around the third or fourth time Leeli got captured that I stopped. Yeah, I just couldn’t continue reading after that lol.

So yeah, all in all… Ninjago did it better. heh.

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@kathleenramm I get Wingfeather is not for you. I get it. But how in the world could Ninjago have done it better? I don’t remember anything in that story resembling the Wingfeather storyline.

And honestly, I’d take Wingfeather’s repetitiveness any day. Ninjago gets DARK. The movie is fine, and the characters from the show are cool, but I’ve heard the show gets a little over the top.

Kathleen
                          @kathleenramm
                            • Total Posts: 635

@keilah-h

Ah, the Ninjago line was a joke, haha.

The Fangs in Wingfeather Saga reminded me of the snake creatures in Ninjago, so I thought I’d make a little joke about it.

But yeah, sometimes jokes get misinterpreted when it’s in writing like this, haha.

Keilah H.
                            @keilah-h

@kathleenramm Oh, I get it. I actually liked the idea of the Serpentines, and whenever I imagine a Lego Wingfeather Saga scene I think of using Serpentine heads for the Fangs’ heads….. It’s crazy we thought of the same thing!

Morgan
                              @morgan
                                • Total Posts: 51

I actually read the second book first because it was the one we happened to have. I later checked the rest out from the library; therefore, I didn’t have enough time to actually analyze them or anything. Personally, I think that they are good books if you read through them at a decent pace and aren’t trying to analyze the writing. The first book I thought was boring. Since I had already read the second one, however, I ended up reading the whole series anyway. I can totally see how you reached your opinion, especially if you didn’t read the whole series. They weren’t the best books that I had ever read, but the overall plot kept me reading. I also liked some of the unique ideas that Peterson had and incorporated into his books. Although I must admit that I was disappointed at several points throughout the series, overall, I thought that the books were good.

Also, Podo does have a dark past that his grandkids discover.

I know that this probably wasn’t at all helpful; sorry. 😉

Some people fail; others learn what not to try.

GodlyFantasy12
                                @godlyfantasy12
                                  • Total Posts: 6645

I haven’t finished book 1 but I really enjoy it so far. My mother (who loves to read and is also like an editor for me) LOVES the series!!

can’t say much since I haven’t finished the first book, but everyone has their views 😊 OH one thing tho, Leeli isn’t 5, she’s 8.

Janner is 12 and Tink is 11 (in book 1 anyway) I think

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                  #ProtectMarcel
                                  #ProtectSeb

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >