-
Daeus replied to the topic W.I.P. Lounge Club (Writers Only!) in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Sticky hands … sticky hands …….. STICKY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!
Yes @kate-flournoy, press on. This is something worth fighting for. It’s actually not much different from writing the first draft. In fact, you’re basically just doing the exact same thing you did before (and enjoyed!) only you’re doing it better.
But here’s the best part. Low points…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic W.I.P. Lounge Club (Writers Only!) in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Ugh… I feel you @overcomer. And I don’t even do much prep work. A very basic outline, nothing else. But especially with editing it seems like it’s much easier to decide what to edit than it is to actually sit down and do it. 😛
I shall be very, very glad when I’m done editing this book. For numerous reasons. Not the least of which is I’ll…[Read more]
-
Daeus started the topic The sign of the four in the forum 10 years, 3 months ago
Hello everybody. This is a reminder that the KeePer’s book club starts in two days. Try to have the first two chapters read by then. See you then.
–The management
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Doh! *grimace* Thanks for pointing that out, @Jadamae. I get those two mixed up ALL THE TIME. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
That works. I can do that.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Hmm, yes, but that’s to our advantage you see. If they get away with everything, we can get away with balance. I’m aiming hybrid myself — half classical half modern. That’s the one thing about classical authors is that for the most part (Count of Monte Cristo excluded which is the ultimate example) they never get very intense, but oh, they are so…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
@Daeus I agree. One hundred percent. Always live in the moment. Otherwise it pushes the reader off to arms’ length.
Actually you know, I just realized something… the classical authors don’t do that as much. Live in the moment, I mean. Okay, I take that back. They do— but they are forever interrupting their ‘moments’ with flashbacks and info…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
@kate-flournoy Oh, you are at the best part.
Hmm, yes, maybe I will get around to talking about actual prose some day.
Oh, here’s one little thing to add. Avoid words like “had” which give a past separate feeling to the prose. Also, wherever possible, introduce a new scene through the eyes of a POV. That also has a large effect on the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Hm, yes. I wouldn’t say it’s a requirement for a great writer to be a philosopher, but it certainly comes easier. Heh, just plain ol’ writing comes easier!
Why? Here’s my hypothesis: Writing is a reflection of life. The clearer your understanding of life, the clearer a reflection you are able to reproduce. And thus, the purpose of books is also…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
@kate-flournoy. Yes, we are on the same page. (page one so far unless I go over with this post)
That’s actually something I wanted to say before but didn’t quite say it perfectly. To be a truly great writer, you must be a philosopher.
*high five*
Of course, you must also write philosophically. You cannot simply be, you must act upon. Hmm ……[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Okay… I think I get you @Daeus. If this discussions proceeds and we’re still not on the same page, holler and we’ll try and get it straightened out. 😀
My theory is that it is mostly due to with the organic suffusion of philosophy throughout the book.
This is deep. Pardon me while I go off to my secretest of secret writer hideaways and ponder…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
@kate-flournoy Looking back on my first comment, I think it needs a prose remakover itself. It even said readable for the last part where I meant re-readable.
I think I see what you’re saying. I don’t know that it’s necessarily a law exactly, but readable prose is definitely something you want to start with.
Actually, this makes me think. I do…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Hm… I really like The Fire Ships. There are twelve episodes, I’m pretty sure— all roughly an hour and 45 minutes. It’s been a while since I last saw them, but as I recall The Fire Ships is pretty clean. All the others are running together in my mind, so I can’t remember which ones needed screening and which were fine… but overall the stuff…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
@Daeus ha! I like that one. 😀
Oh, and as for the foundation stuff, I simply meant you have to understand how to write readable prose before you tackle re-readable. Perhaps I misunderstood your first post and that’s not what you were saying??
-
Daeus replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Another rule: Everything your English teacher told you is wrong.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
@kate-flournoy Hmm, what foundation do you refer to and what is being built on top of it?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
@Faithdk yes!! When it comes to adjectives, less generally is more. I used to be absolutely enamored with adjectives— just see my ‘Story of the Seed’ story that was published on KP a while back. *shudder* 😛
But I’ve learned that if I use them sparingly, they’re more effective when they come.
And yes. I don’t like apple pie.I’m afraid it’s…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
You know what, @kate-flournoy? Here’s something else I just happened to notice. Info dumps are actually often some of the most rereadable portions of a book. I suspect it has something to do with irony. The classical authors loved irony in an info dump.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
@kate-flournoy. Ah, how perfect. This is something I’ve been thinking about recently. Hmm… you can guess why. I think I might just go off and eat every book on prose I can get my hands on, but then again, that might be hard on my fiction diet. Hmm…
Ok, first thing’s first. Stop disliking apple pie!!!
Hmph … yes, now that that’s out of the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic Prose in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 3 months ago
Hello again, lovely fellow KeePers. Seems like I haven’t talked to you in ages. I’ve been a bit busy lately. 😉
But not too busy to think about writing. I’m always thinking about some aspect of it or another. And the latest subject of my scrutiny has been prose. The actual words themselves.
This is vastly important.
See, I realized a while back…[Read more] - Load More
