Chatter

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Chatter

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Hoven
    @sarah-h
      • Total Posts: 669

@Kate-Flournoy ā€” Thanks! Immorality and bad language are what my parents are most concerned about for him, so they will definitely have to screen it. I thought it was one movie, but it sounds like thereā€™s a series. Is there an episode that you especially recommend?

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Hmā€¦ I really like The Fire Ships. There are twelve episodes, Iā€™m pretty sureā€” all roughly an hour and 45 minutes. Itā€™s been a while since I last saw them, but as I recall The Fire Ships is pretty clean. All the others are running together in my mind, so I canā€™t remember which ones needed screening and which were fineā€¦ but overall the stuff that needed screening was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. But as I say, Iā€™ve never watched theā€¦ third one I think it is? The Duchess something or other. So I canā€™t speak for that one.

Thereā€™s also some pretty intense violence in several of the episodesā€” not just war, but shipboard discipline, whichā€” as you probably know šŸ˜› ā€” wasnā€™t the most pleasant during the Napoleonic Wars. And HH certainly doesnā€™t gloss over that part of it. But I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything in there one wouldnā€™t encounter in Master and Commander.

@Sarah-h

Sarah Hoven
        @sarah-h
          • Total Posts: 669

@Kate-Flournoy
          Oh, I had forgotten about the discipline aspect. *shudders* Thanks for the warning. Fire Ships sounds intriguing. Iā€™ll ask my parents to check that one out. Thank you for the recommendation. šŸ™‚

Rosey Mucklestone
          @writefury
            • Total Posts: 467

@kate-flournoy The Duchess and the Devil is the one youā€™re referring to, I believe. And thatā€™s actually my favorite oneā€¦ *hides* because Archie. Archie is sad. Archie is wonderful.
            That one wasnā€™t too bad in my opinion. There was one kind of suggestive momentā€¦ I think that was about it. But as far as blood and violence goes, it was pretty clean.
            Lemme seeā€¦ any problems you might encounter.
            The Duel, (number 1) has a scene with Simpson thatā€™s rather disturbing. People get shot. Like a lot. Archie has seizures. Horatio gets beaten up. A couple of people die.
            The Fire Ships. People die of plague. People die of starvation. More people get shot and thereā€™s a suicide.
            The Duchess and the Devil: Addressed above.
            The Wrong War: Some shooting. More dying. Beheadings (cā€™monā€¦ revolutionary france) that happen off-screen. A romantic subplot (that I hated), so thereā€™s kissing.
            Mutiny: Literal insanity of a certain character. And this one is like SUUUUPER tense. Minimal blood. Most of the conflict is internal.
            Retribution: More blood. Lots of shooting and a few deaths. And beware, this one will break your heart.
            Loyalty: Better done romantic subplot with no kissing. Blood. A couple of deaths. A suicide.
            Duty: Some bombs blow up and get people.
            Man, that looks like a depressing series when I write it out like that. But seriously, itā€™s really good. Awesome characters and really well done plots. <3

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

@Writefury I know, I was so sad to miss Archie in that one. šŸ™

And I feel I should mention that Mutiny (or is it Retribution?) also has some very suggestive moments between two minor characters. Classic scenario of pretty woman gets captured, decides to seduce her captor to get what she wants. It was very minor and very easily skipped, but be on the lookout for that.

And Rosey I agree. Itā€™s an awesome series anyway. Awesome characters and well done plots. šŸ˜€ One of the things I loved about it was the development of relationships besides romance. For instance, Captain Pellewā€™s fatherly relationship with Horatio, which is probably one of my absolute favorites (besides Archieā€™s friendship with Horatio, of course šŸ˜‰ ). And the wholesome themes of responsibility, courage, wisdomā€¦ righteousness even when it puts a target on your back. The series is soā€¦ rich. Rich and deep, and thatā€™s rare. šŸ˜‰

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                ClaireC
                @clairec
                  • Total Posts: 628

Is anyone here from Australia?

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@writefury

Aggg! Yes, Retribution will break your heart, but that one is my favorite. Becauseā€¦well, Iā€™m sure you know why. TOO SWEET!!!!!

I read your 4th of July Hornblower fan-fic on your blogā€”you capture their personalities so well!! And that last line was perfectā€”ā€œAnd now my other present for youā€”none of this is your fault.ā€ PERFECT!!

I think you mentioned on the comments to that post that you couldnā€™t find the soundtrackā€”I know, thatā€™s horrid! But I think youā€™d like this video:

For the music and the pictures. šŸ˜› There are some really good Archie pics in there. šŸ™‚

And you were saying that in other movies where you see Hornblower, heā€™s pretty much playing himself in different situations. Shocking. He definitely seems to be that type. Have you seen Amazing Grace?

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

@ClaireC Yes, we actually have two Aussieā€™s on here that I know of: @Anna-Brie and @Bluejay.

BlueJay
                      @bluejay
                        • Total Posts: 1622

@clairec Yep, Iā€™m Aussie alright. *waves hi*

BlueJay
                        @bluejay
                          • Total Posts: 1622

Yo @emma-flournoy Youā€™re back. Long time no see. *Or should I say read* šŸ˜›

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy

Yo @bluejay! Yep, itā€™s me. Hi again. šŸ™‚
                            But Iā€™m never really far off, even if I donā€™t postā€¦Iā€™m alwaysā€¦stalkingā€¦yā€™all . *creepy bell music*

šŸ™‚ (I wish the winking emoji didnā€™t look worried. Does anyone else think it looks worried or apologetic, not mischievous?) šŸ˜‰

By the way, how old are you again? 16, correct?

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@Emma-Flournoy ha, yes. Iā€™ve noticed that as well. Which is why I prefer *asterisks* Un-apologetically.

*wink*

Emma Flournoy
                              @emma-flournoy

@bluejay Oh!! Sorryā€¦ :/ I was going to say, weā€™re close in age to each other; but never mind.
                                I still like you. šŸ™‚

@Kate-Flournoy

Ha. Ha. Ha.

ClaireC
                                @clairec
                                  • Total Posts: 628

Iā€™m sure some of you out there have heard of and seen ā€˜Studio Cā€™. If you havenā€™t, you must go look it up. Best clean, really funny (bonus) comedy ever!!!
                                  Hereā€™s my personal favorite for us writers.

I actually have know idea if that link will work or not. @Emma-Flournoy, how did you put that Horatio Hornblower video in??

Official Member of the Certified Club of Aussie Kapeefers

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 210 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >