Prose

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

That works. I can do that.

Jada Morrison
      @jadamae
        • Total Posts: 199

@Kate-flournoy Just one point I disagree with… similes by definition, use the words like or as. Metaphors, on the other hand, say something is something else, like your example.

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy

Doh! *grimace* Thanks for pointing that out, @Jadamae. I get those two mixed up ALL THE TIME. 😛

Hope Ann
          @hope
            • Total Posts: 1092

@kate-flournoy Similes (or metaphors) should be stated as fact, not comparison. I really like that. There’s been lots of good points made. I’m not thinking of any more right now except, to sum up some of the points… ‘write with confidence’. Leave off the seems and likes and hads and other little words. You know what you are writing. Act like it. 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

@Hope exactly. Have any of you ever just sat down on a whim and started writing in the most sarcastic voice you could manage? Just thrown caution to the winds and hammered out a poem or a story or just any random piece of writing for the fun of seeing how much you could exaggerate? I’ve done that. It’s incredibly easy, somehow. Easier than being careful about your prose.
              And I find nine times out of ten that those spur-of-the-moment bits and pieces are waaaaaaaayyyy more interesting than regular ho-hum everyday prose.

So write with confidence. Confident writing always has a flavor and flair to it that careful writing lacks. Not to say you shouldn’t be careful— you should. But don’t be timid.

And if you’ve never done that, do it. Just sit down and unleash yourself on a piece of paper. It’s well worth it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >