-
Daeus replied to the topic Why Paolini works (or doesn't) in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Sarah-H Ok, good stuff here. I guess I mostly agree. We could use some good ‘ole book burnings and all. We shouldn’t think ourselves impervious, yes.
I guess the disagreement arises because it sounds like you are saying we should avoid all darkness whatsoever. I’m not sure that’s exactly what you meant, but if that’s so, I find it problematic.…[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic First or Third? in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@anne-of-lothlorien I just realized that my example is a really bad one… Oh the wonders that emerge from writing late at night. XD
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Why Paolini works (or doesn't) in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Sarah-H I appreciate your concern and the thought you put into this, and I have to say I agree for the most part. However, once again I believe you are assigning Satan more power than he actually has.
Believe me, I am not ignorant of the presence of evil in literature. I don’t read blindly or blindly accept the worldview of anyone if I see that…[Read more] -
Ethryndal replied to the topic Greetings, Salutations, and all that stuff in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@i-j-anderson Mae Govannen, fellow artist! I am the Elf Intern that Anne mentioned. How long have you been doing water-color? I started taking lessons in it this year. (Which, holy smoke, is almost over!?!) It’s so different from pencil, which is what I mainly work with. Which means I freak out about it. A lot. 🙂
Oh, and I’ve just got to say it:…[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Blank Mastermind in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 10 months ago
@anne-of-lothlorien SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok. That might have been overdoing it.
But yes, leather jacket all the way!!! And I’m kind of glad I didn’t know about BM until know, because didn’t have to suffer through any of those…[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Favorite Movies in the forum Film 9 years, 10 months ago
@leumeister *GEEKY SQUEAL* I can’t believe you know Rock Raiders too!!! Most people I know don’t… My brother actually has all the vintage lego sets. (I’m not sure if I should call them vintage. It came out when, 1999? You know you’re a twenty-first century kid when you call the ’90’s vintage…)
And Ironman… I have a confession to make……[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic First or Third? in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@anne-of-lothlorien I tried it once, got three sentences in, and promptly vowed I would never do it again. My brain can’t handle it. And omnipotent (Or omniscient. That’s what I always thought it was called) is basically when you don’t stick to the thoughts inside one person’s head. For instance, instead of, “Jeremy felt tense. The situation was…[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic First or Third? in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@anne-of-lothlorien I tried it once, got three sentences in, and promptly vowed I would never do it again. My brain can’t handle it. And omnipotent (Or omniscient. That’s what I always thought it was called) is basically when you don’t stick to the thoughts inside one person’s head. For instance, instead of, “Jeremy felt tense. The situation was…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Greetings, Salutations, and all that stuff in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@I-J-Anderson Irish? Oh wow, thanks. *grins* It’s French— Huguenot origin.
Yessssss! People— I love people. I’m not as good at painting them as I’d like to be; still life seems to be easier for some reason, but I love working with people because no two are alike and there’s such room for expression and personality. I love it.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Greetings, Salutations, and all that stuff in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@I-J-Mastron Irish? Oh wow, thanks. *grins* It’s French— Huguenot origin.
Yessssss! People— I love people. I’m not as good at painting them as I’d like to be; still life seems to be easier for some reason, but I love working with people because no two are alike and there’s such room for expression and personality. I love it.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic First or Third? in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@PerfectFifths good question. The difference between third person and deep third person is that deep third person actually delves into the thoughts of the characters, not just stays on the surface and monitors their actions.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic First or Third? in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Perfect-Fifths good question. The difference between third person and deep third person is that deep third person actually delves into the thoughts of the characters, not just stays on the surface and monitors their actions.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic First or Third? in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Anne-of-Lothlorien not me. I mean, I may have done it subconsciously in a few diary entries, but that’s about it. (My diary is a mess of gargantuan proportions from a literary standpoint. Don’t ask). 😛
-
Kate Flournoy posted an update 9 years, 10 months ago
@daeus so what exactly is permaculture?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic First or Third? in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Deep third person. I write sprawling epics with gazillions of characters, and deep third person works best for those kinds. If I was writing YA or something similar with only one MC, I’d probably choose first for a deep personal connection though.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Greetings, Salutations, and all that stuff in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
Welcome to the Realm of the KeePers of the Pen, @i-j-anderson! Ooooh, another writer/painter! What do you like to paint?
-
Daeus replied to the topic Greetings, Salutations, and all that stuff in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@i-j-anderson Welcome! (to the bestistest place on the internet specifically)
That’s awesome you live on a small scale farm. Those are the bestistest. Btw, you don’t happen to know about permaculture, do you?
Hey, you really should post one of your poems. Do you have a favorite poetry style?
-
Daeus replied to the topic First or Third? in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
My preference? I’m not totally sure, but I think I tend toward third person, particularly omnipotent.
Now from what you’re saying, it sounds to me like you’d do best with a deep third person story. It could be confusing to use first person for multiple POVs (though who know? Might be the next thing.) If you’re used to first though, you might…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@winter-rose I think I’m done now. I wrote about 444 words, which means I wrote about 1472 words total today. I also changed some things around and wrote a paragraph of planning. Thanks!
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@winter-rose Still here. 😀
- Load More

Oh, dear. You asked the question. You see, most practitioners don’t even know how to define it, because it’s such a broad subject, but I came up with my own definition that I think hits it at the heart, and I double checked and receive a thumbs up on the definition from the guy who’s probably the leading permaculturist in the world. My definition…[Read more]
Wow… that is actually really cool. Yes, that does make sense. 😀 What would you do with it? Did you take classes or something? Or did you go to college?
@Daeus
No, it was an e-course. I think it lasted three months. At the end, you had to submit a proposal for a property design and then if you showed understanding of the material, they passed you. I actually did the Craig’s property. …and they still haven’t even seen the design. Which is fine, since I would need to edit it first.
I could contract as…[Read more]
That works. 😀