@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Next Four Years in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@the-happy-bookaholic good question Sarah. I’m not old enough to vote, but if I were, I wouldn’t vote at all. I don’t really buy the argument that no vote is a vote for someone else, and the lesser of two evils is still evil.
Ultimately, I’m judged by God, not the Republican party (or what’s left of it) and I’d rather take human pressure now than…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Next Four Years in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@the-happy-bookaholic good question. I’m not old enough to vote, but if I were, I wouldn’t vote at all. I don’t really buy the argument that no vote is a vote for someone else, and the lesser of two evils is still evil.
Ultimately, I’m judged by God, not the Republican party (or what’s left of it) and I’d rather take human pressure now than try…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@bluejay You know actually, I can’t think of any. I’m pretty tired now though. Maybe there are some.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Hmmm…Yes that is a way to look at it. Still there are some book that I wish the author would continue with. Do you ever read a book like that? @Daeus
-
Daeus replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@bluejay A good ending does not stop, it transitions. The book says, “The End”, not because it’s really the end, but because it is time for you to pick up the story and keep on going. It is time for you live that novel we call life in reflection of what you have learned from the story.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@kate-flournoy Oooh, that does sound good. Yeah. Almost as good as faerie dragon-flies
… Ok, it’s better than faerie dragon-flies. GET ME THAT BOOK
*eats a cookie* Ok, I feel better now.
-
Hannah R. and
Kate Flournoy are now friends 10 years, 4 months ago -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Thanks @his-instrument! *thumbs up* sound advice all through! 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Yes, thank you— good advice, which I was already planning to follow @Daeus.
Also, as a philosophical question by itself, that question isn’t much of a cliffhanger for most people other than me. It would be a good idea to hint at (but don’t make it too blatant) that much depends on the answer to that question in the lives of the cha…
-
Daeus replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
*Brings in more cookies*
@his-instrument I don’t think there’a max amount of intensity you can have and a lot is better than a little. There are two rules though. While readers shouldn’t actually guess the last minute plot twists, it should be something they could have guessed. If that isn’t the case, the reader will feel cheated. The other rule…[Read more]
-
Hannah R. replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@kate-flournoy, that sounds like a great way to end a book, and a great way to set up another. Answering big questions is a great way to write a story.
One tip I would give is, try not to tell your readers the answer to the big question, “Who can we trust?” Show them. Show them what you think the answer is by giving examples, then let them decide.…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@kate-flournoy The idea sounds sound. I would just say that the second question requires more room. It sounds like you might already be planning this, but it could be a good idea to spread the answer to this question over two or three books instead of one. Also, as a philosophical question by itself, that question isn’t much of a cliffhanger for…[Read more]
-
Hannah R. replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
*takes a cookie*
I love endings. And I hate them. Because endings mean its the end, which stinks when you’re reading someone else’s book and is an amazing mixture of hysterical excitement and depression when you’re writing your own. 🙂
I don’t like tying up my endings with a pretty bow, at least not all the time. Think about The Giver, by Lois…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Aw, thanks @Daeus… *munches m&ms included cookie in complete bliss*
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
I very well might just spam that post.
@Daeus *sniff* what ever happened to freedom of speech? It is my Constitutional right to throw away as many cookies as I please.
Good point @Hope— and I struggle with that. 😛
Okay, so here’s a good place for a question about endings. My WIP is a complete story in itself— but it sets up for the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Hey hey, impressive! I got 476 words edited @Daeus. You beat me! See— it’s not so very difficult after all! 😀
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
677 words edited. What did you do @kate-flournoy
-
Ingrid and
Hannah R. are now friends 10 years, 4 months ago -
Hannah R. replied to the topic Greetings and salutations! in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 4 months ago
Novacom was definitely one of my favorites. Probably my top favorite. @christi-eaton, I agree with you about the current episodes– Wooton is my favorite! I feel like the script quality has deteriorated a bit over the years. The quality of the storylines was at its peak around Novacom. Have you herd Malachi’s Message? It’s also one of my…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Endings in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
*Takes cookie and munches on it miserably* I’ve a cold in my head and can’t think straight. Besides, everyone here has good points and I don’t know if I’ve anything to add.
Except…let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
Don’t make an ending too quick. You don’t want it to drag out, but the reader wants to see how the characters…[Read more]
- Load More
