Endings

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

Yes, thank you— good advice, which I was already planning to follow @Daeus.

Also, as a philosophical question by itself, that question isn’t much of a cliffhanger for most people other than me. It would be a good idea to hint at (but don’t make it too blatant) that much depends on the answer to that question in the lives of the characters.

Hehehee… yesh, I’m definitely doing that as well. See, all the while this story was playing out the MC kept finding little (or not so little!) things he doesn’t understand about his world— they lost their history several generations back in a huge catastrophe, so no one really knows anymore where they came from or what they’re doing there. All while the storyline is playing out that question is simmering in the background—tied up with the question of who determines truth. Driven by his need for understanding, the MC vows to find the answer to all the questions if he survives. He does, and the last scene is him finding the LAST EXISTING HISTORY BOOK IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE… and then he sits down… takes a deep breath… and opens it.
      The end.
      How does that sound?

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy

Thanks @his-instrument! *thumbs up* sound advice all through! 🙂

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy Oooh, that does sound good. Yeah. Almost as good as faerie dragon-flies

… Ok, it’s better than faerie dragon-flies. GET ME THAT BOOK

*eats a cookie* Ok, I feel better now.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
          @bluejay
            • Total Posts: 1622

*takes cookie and munches on it thoughtfully* I really don’t have much to add. Actually I don’t think I have anything to add. I don’t like writing ends, I dislikes endings. FULL STOP!!!!!!! (or as you Americans would say PERIOD……)
            Ends mean the end. And I like things to continue and continue and continue and yeah you get the idea. Generally if an ending wasn’t great I make it up in my mind. 🙂
            *takes second cookies* Endings are probably the hardest thing for me to write. Not quite sure why but they are.
            *looks for third cookie.* Pauses *These have milk in them don’t they @daeus?* Oh bother!!!

@kate-flournoy
            Just for you. A cookie with M&Ms. ? enjoy

@hope
            Get better soon. I know what it’s like as I have a slight cold myself. Thankfully mine’s not too bad. *We probably got it from @daeus. He had a cold not long ago.*

Daeus
            @daeus

@bluejay A good ending does not stop, it transitions. The book says, “The End”, not because it’s really the end, but because it is time for you to pick up the story and keep on going. It is time for you live that novel we call life in reflection of what you have learned from the story.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
              @bluejay
                • Total Posts: 1622

Hmmm…Yes that is a way to look at it. Still there are some book that I wish the author would continue with. Do you ever read a book like that? @Daeus

Daeus
                @daeus

@bluejay You know actually, I can’t think of any. I’m pretty tired now though. Maybe there are some.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

The Happy Bookaholic
                  @the-happy-bookaholic
                    • Total Posts: 61

I love tackling endings. There’s always such a sense of finality as you write the last word of the last paragraph, and then THE END. It’s delightful.

However, sometimes I have had problems with knowing how to end, and when to end. Should I leave it hanging? Should I tie up every single loose end? How do I pack up this mess of conflict and resolve it all nicely? I’m sorry. I don’t have answers for this. I’ve actually been very fortunate to have people tell me my endings are nice and bittersweet.

One classic literature ending that I absolutely LOVE is that of Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. I love that book!! *squeals* *fangirls* The ending was perfect. Sometimes I get so scared when there are so few pages left in the book and the resolution doesn’t seem any closer, but this book really really satisfied all my readerly desires. Of course I can’t reveal for sake of spoilers.

@Daeus
                    I partially agree with you about LotR. I didn’t mind Frodo’s leaving; in fact I was really happy about the way everything was turning out nicely and no one was dying. (Honestly, if you knew the trauma I faced while reading tLotR…I was freaking out thinking that all my favourite characters were going to die.) But it just suddenly stopped so abruptly.

“Well, I’m back.” And then no more pages!!! It was so annoying. I was expecting some awesome cool Tolkien wisdom or something like that, but oh well. What can I say? The rest of the book was great enough. I just wish the ending had been better.

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

GET ME THAT BOOK

*cringe* Make sure you have a good stock of cookies on hand, @Daeus, cuz I have a feeling it’s not going to be ready for at least a few months yet.

Another thing about ends, guys, is that the best stories never truly end. There may come a point where you cease to be a part of their story, but their stories never actually stop. They go on in your imagination even when you’ve read the last page.

Daeus
                      @daeus

Don’t worry @kate-flournoy, I have an unlimited virtual stack.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Ingrid
                        @ingridrd
                          • Total Posts: 830

@hope

Except…let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Is that a Princess Bride reference???

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Hope Ann
                          @hope
                            • Total Posts: 1092

@ingridrd What other movie has such great quotes? 😉

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Hope Ann
                            @hope

Endings are always the hardest for me to write. Not necessarily picking where to end something, but the last paragraph…the last line, that’s hard. Any tips, everyone? Anyone?

Ingrid
                              @ingridrd
                                • Total Posts: 830

I don’t have much experience with this but I know that any book that isn’t the last book in a series should have a cliff-hanger ending to make the reader want to read the next book. (That’s sort of a “duh.”) For the last book in a series, I know the writing just needs to have a finished feel too it. Maybe not too finished; the reader should still have a few questions that they have to answer on their own.
                                Dang it! *smacks hand against forehead* Rambling and probably making no sense…again. I just can’t help myself. 🙂

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Hope Ann
                                @hope

@ingridrd Well, they don’t always have to be cliffhangers. I’ve notice with trilogies that, quite often, the first book ends fairly well. You know there is more to come, but it ends with the main point concluded. The second book ends in a cliffhanger and the third book completes it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >