Greetings and salutations!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Greetings and salutations!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Hannah R.
    @his-instrument
      • Total Posts: 229

Hi everyone!
      I’m new to Kingdom Pen, so I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself (and to say thank you, Greta, for telling me about this site!). I’ve been trying (note the word “trying”) to write novels for five or six years, but I’ve only recently gotten to the point where I can remain somewhat satisfied with a completed story for longer than a year. 🙂 I would like to become more proficient in the area of short stories, because I tend to be a long-plot person and really struggle with concision, so if anyone has any tips for me, I’d love to hear them! I enjoy critiquing and receiving constructive criticism, especially when it’s brutally honest criticism.
      The most important thing for you to know about me is that I love Jesus. I’m seeking to grow closer to Him day by day, and like the rest of you, my goal in writing is to write for the Kingdom. I’m so thankful that there are others out there who believe what I do and desire to glorify God in all things, including writing. Be strong for the Kingdom, my friends! Words have great power, the power of life or death, and we have the gift and privilege of being able to use them for life.
      In Christ,
      Hannah

YA Fantasy Writer
      Obsessive Character Namer
      Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

Hello @his-instrument
        Welcome to the bestistest place on earth. *Yay, I’m first. Sorry a bit of a competition to be the first to say that*
        All I can write are short stories. Novels are too long for me. I’m not sure I have any hints other than read lots of short stories to get an idea on how to fit a long plot into few words. 🙂
        Anyway WELCOME.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by BlueJay.
        • This reply was modified 8 years ago by BlueJay.
        Hannah R.
        @his-instrument

Thanks Bluejay!
          By the way, I’m so glad you recognize that “bestistest” is a word. :

YA Fantasy Writer

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@his-instrument Hey, if you know Greta, you probably live in my state. Go Ohioans!

What story are you working on now?

I actually write a lot of short stories (I also write longer stuff too) and endings is one of my favorite subjects. I should start a new thread on endings. That would be a good topic.

@bluejay
            . Wow. You beat me. Fair and square.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
            @bluejay

@his-instrument I never knew it was a word until I got on KP. *Gasp, all those poor people who aren’t here, probably don’t know it’s a word*

@daeus
              🙂

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

*cough cough* Well you see “bestistest” is just so bestistest that you can’t deny it access to the dictionary.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
                @bluejay

*Looks up “bestistest” in he dictionary. Gasp! It’s not there*
                  That makes me think of the book called Frindle or in other words Pen. Great book. I’ll go and suggest that as a future book to discuss.

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 3976

Welcome to KP @his-instrument! It’s so awesome to meet other writers excited to write for The Kingdom! What genre do you write? What genre do you most enjoy reading?

Greta
                    @gretald
                      • Total Posts: 450

@his-instrument Hi, Hannah! 😉 So glad you made it on here. 🙂 As @bluejay said, this is the bestiestist place on the internet.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Greta.
                      Ingrid
                      @ingridrd
                        • Total Posts: 830

@his-instrument
                        Hello, Hannah! (I don’t know if you remember me but I was at TeenPact, too. We sat together for breakfast on the last day. 🙂 ) Anyway, welcome!
                        “Words have great power, the power of life or death, and we have the gift and privilege of being able to use them for life.” This blew me away! Preach it, girl! 😉

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Rosey Mucklestone
                        @writefury
                          • Total Posts: 467

Welcome to Kingdom Pen, @his-instrument!
                          Nice picture! I dub you “The shiny one”. 😉

Faith Kindred
                          @faithdk
                            • Total Posts: 139

@his-instrument Welcome!!! It’s always great to see new people join the bestistest place on the internet! (saying that never gets old for us…if you hadn’t noticed already 😉 )

Hope Ann
                            @hope
                              • Total Posts: 1092

@his-instrument Welcome! I struggle with writing short stories too…meaning I just don’t do it. 😉 I can’t get anything to fit. Most of my stories are novel length, but I’ve discovered recently that I also enjoy writing novellas. At 20,000-30,000 words, they are long enough for me to write a whole story, but I can get them done much quicker than a novel.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Hannah R.
                              @his-instrument

Thanks everybody! @bluejay, I love the book Frindle! And we should totally make bestistest an official word. @ingrid, I do remember you from TeenPact, and @Daeus, Go Ohioans indeed. (O-H…)

@Kate-flournoy
                                , my favorite genre to write is fantasy, which also happens to be my favorite genre to read. @Hope-ann, that is exactly the reason why I struggle so much with short stories– I can’t get anything to fit! I’m working on concision, because my English teacher at my homeschool co-op requires word counts on our essays… which is tough for a novelist!
                                I’m currently working on an allegory about a girl named Nobody who lives in a land of fog and darkness. She meets a stranger who introduces himself as Ambassador. He gives her a glowing medallion, which allows her to see through the fog, and invites her to leave the city with him. That’s about as far as I’ve gotten so far, but I do have more ideas.
                                I just finished writing a book called Prince of the Barbarians. (I can’t figure out how to italicize…sorry!) Synopsis: When his father is unexpectedly assassinated, 17-year-old Prince Cerdic finds himself with an unruly kingdom on his hands and an assassin on his tail. Forced to flee the castle with his half-sister, Garawyn, the two royal runaways fall in with a simple farm boy and his family, and formulate a plan to get him back on the throne.
                                I may put up a couple of chapters of this story for critiques soon.
                                Thanks again for the warm welcome, everybody!
                                God bless!
                                Hannah
                                P.S. I really hope I’m getting the whole tag-thing right… from what I can tell you all are just putting “@” in front of the username…?

YA Fantasy Writer

Jada Morrison
                                @jadamae
                                  • Total Posts: 199

@his-instrument Welcome, Hannah!The books you are working on sound really interesting. I think only being able to write long stories is a good problem to have 🙂 As far as tags go, if you click on a person’s name it takes you to their page and shows you their tag. For example, your name shows as Hannah R. , but your tag is @his-instrument Some people’s tags and names are the same, but some aren’t. Hope that helps! BTW is the title of this post a reference to Adventures in Odyssey?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Jada Morrison.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >