@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Daeus replied to the topic Characterization study in the forum Characters 10 years, 2 months ago
@kate-flournoy Yes, only I’m not sure I would find that fascinating. Maybe if there were a supporting quality with it *question mark?* You got the idea, though.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Characterization study in the forum Characters 10 years, 2 months ago
@Daeus ah… I get it. Wow, this is going to be so fun. I don’t know how steadily I’ll be able to do this, but I’ll definitely jot down anything I can.
Just to make sure I actually do get it, say someone walks in the door. I notice that they’re always tugging on their sleeve-cuffs, so I jot down ‘Tugs on sleeve-cuffs; fascinating’? Is that it?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Characterization study in the forum Characters 10 years, 2 months ago
@Daeus ah… I get it. Wow, this is going to be so fun. I don’t know how steadily I’ll be able to do this, but I’ll definitely jot down anything I can.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Characterization study in the forum Characters 10 years, 2 months ago
@kate-flournoy Well, first, you are only looking for traits that are fascinating, attractive, or charismatic. This could be an action, expression, trait, etc. You only need to catalogue whatever it is though. Nothing else is important about that person. The exception is if the quality that makes them fascinating, attractive, or charismatic…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Characterization study in the forum Characters 10 years, 2 months ago
@kate-flounoy Well, first, you are only looking for traits that are fascinating, attractive, or charismatic. This could be an action, expression, trait, etc. You only need to catalogue whatever it is though. Nothing else is important about that person. The exception is if the quality that makes them fascinating, attractive, or charismatic requires…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Word Lists in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
Hm… this does sound like an interesting challenge. But unfortunately I probably wouldn’t be able to do it— I write only in the evenings and all day Saturday, and I have an eleven book series and a steampunk/scifi and several other novels to write before I’m twenty… 😛 Actually the goal is write before I’m married, which to the best of my…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Characterization study in the forum Characters 10 years, 2 months ago
Wow, this sounds fun! I do this mentally anyway, but I’m sure I could find a notebook somewhere… and since our cabin business brings different people to our door every day, I’m all set! 😀 I don’t know how often I’ll remember to make physical note of it, but I’ll try.
Just to be clear, we can take any personality/personality trait we find and…[Read more]
-
Daeus started the topic Characterization study in the forum Characters 10 years, 2 months ago
Hey folks, I got this idea. Don’t know where it came from, but I think it’s gonna be pretty cool. My idea was to carry a little notebook and pencil around with me and to take notes whenever any characteristic about somebody struck me as fascinating, attractive, or charismatic. The reason for this should be pretty obvious. These are characteristics…[Read more]
-
BlueJay started the topic Word Lists in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
I have an idea and as it is for you guys, I thought I’d found out if anyone is for it before I start. My sister does this spelling book, were she has a list of twenty words. As one of her projects she has to write something (generally a paragraph or two) using as many words as possible. The words are pretty random and sometimes impossible to work…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic A Writing Game in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
@Overcomer oooh I want the rest of the story. I love how you used the leaves— masterful use of imagery there.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The (Awesome) Summer Writing Club! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
@Winter-Rose that is awesome! And now you feel like crashing, right? 😉
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic I have a blog… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
I followed you.
I’m another blogspot person. annasbrie.blogspot.com.au
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic I have a blog… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
I followed you.
I’m another Blogger person. annasbrie.blogspot.com.au
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic Capitalizing His Name in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
Sometimes I feel like capitalizing puts to much emphasis on the pronouns. An occurrence in a different book that I was beta reading drew enough attention that I commented on it being clumsy. For those who aren’t used to God’s name being capitalized it might look odd.
On looking the aforementioned occurrence, it was a time when he wasn’t clearly…[Read more]
-
BlueJay replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
@daeus, @kate-flournoy Yay! Now I know how to grow mushrooms. But there’s even an easier way. Let the weather do it. Sun + rain = mushroom. And big ones too. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
@Daeus ah. That’s pretty neat. I’ll definitely store that info away. 😉
-
Daeus replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
@kate-flournoy Well, I’ve never used sawdust before. I believe if it were fresh it would already be sterile, but if it were aged it would have been infected with competitive spawn. I can’t be quite sure of that though. Most times things are sterilized by heat.
-
Daeus replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
@kate-flourny Well, I’ve never used sawdust before. I believe if it were fresh it would already be sterile, but if it were aged it would have been infected with competitive spawn. I can’t be quite sure of that though. Most times things are sterilized by heat.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
@Daeus ‘sterile’? Uh… how does one sterilize sawdust?
-
Daeus replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 2 months ago
@kate-flournoy *smirks* Yeah, well, it’s a rather abnormal thing. Mushrooms are grown on a lot of things, but primarily logs, straw, sawdust, wood chips, and compost. Different varieties grow very differently. The most important thing is that the substrate (what they grow on) be fresh and sterile. They also need lots of moisture and often some…[Read more]
- Load More
