The (Awesome) Summer Writing Club!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The (Awesome) Summer Writing Club!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Faith Kindred
    @faithdk
      • Total Posts: 139

I’ve been a lot busier than I thought I’d be right now! But I am trying to work on the beginning of my story -trying to get it on the right track for success. 🙂 I hope my schedule will start to calm down a bit so I can get more work done! 😛

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Faith Kindred.
      Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1486

I haven’t had my computer for almost three weeks so I’ve been writing on actual paper, which slows me down a little. But be back with my computer soon, and will hopefully make a writing schedule, so my writing should speed up?.

@bluejay
        I have one of those short story’s turned mini novel ?. I’m planing to finish it this summer.

@overcomer
        White rabbit chasing. I like it? (though I’m more of an outliner myself. Can we outliners have a special name too? ?)
        Does anyone else have problems with making notes then not looking at them?

Rolena Hatfield
        @rolena-hatfield
          • Total Posts: 405

I’m jumping in here a little late…
          My project right now is working on my novel that is almost historical fiction covering the topic of choices. It’s been revamped a couple of times already, but I’ve think I’ve finally figured out a solid start and hope to get it on a good roll before the end of the year.

https://rolenahatfield.com/

Hannah
          @aella
            • Total Posts: 160

Ohhh! So much to catch up on! I’m only on when I’m with my computer so it may be pretty iffy as I’m going for some time without it every week or two, but I’ll try to stay caught up through the e-mail notifications. Wow! Y’all’s goals are great!

@kate-flournoy
            I am VERY glad for this forum and the more-like-minded writers on here as well, although I am very iffy on actually talking here, I mainly enjoy stalking all of y’all’s intellectual conversations… I love hearing about everyone’s projects, and just seeing all the happiness flowing through, even in our discussion-where-we-don’t-agree, everyone’s kindness is just great. I have several friends who write as well, but it’s very different from the forum here.

@overcomer
            Wow! Your goals sound great! A short story about a park fountain… I love it already! How are your projects coming now?

I’m 3,866 words into my story, which is now looking like it will be quite a bit LONGER than my NaNoWriMo project, based on what I’ve gotten too, but I’m happy with it so far…as long as I don’t look at the actual writing of it. I’m not writing super intensely yet, because of some family medical emergencies, but I’m hoping to get started more seriously soon.

@hannah-c
            Oh, I’m with you on the white-rabbit-chasing… I told myself I was going to plot out this story, for once. It didn’t happen, of course. I do a few character “sketch” pages, and that’s about it for me…

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

@Aella YES. I am constantly impressed by how politely people on this forum disagree with each other. Just a shout out to all you awesome people— I really appreciate the courtesy and consideration you show in everything, especially disagreement. People these days have forgotten how to disagree politely, and it is so refreshing to see people interacting in a Christ-like manner no matter the discussion.
              So thank you all very, very much.

Hannah C
              @hannah-c
                • Total Posts: 362

@Aella the best laid plans of white-rabbit chasers. *sighs* I’ve only ever done a vague version of a character sketch when I got halfway through my book and realized I didn’t know my protagonist very well at all.
                Most of my ideas are kept *taps head* right here. Probably not the most efficient way to write.

HC

Hannah
                @aella
                  • Total Posts: 160

@kate-flournoy May I echo you? Because… Just YES. ALL of you make KP so… refreshing. It’s a nice break from the angry flow of the world. Shoutout to all of you!

@hannah-c
                  oh yes, the best-laid plans… *groans at unread stack of “how to outline” papers* I’ve done the same thing XD. So now I do quick sketches beforehand, typically, but still don’t know my characters well until I’ve seen them play out on the page… Second drafts are the absolute worst for reminding me of that. But I need the reminder so I can’t complain.
                  I’m the same way… I’m not always sure how to write out my ideas is part of it, and it’s very easy to add information in your brain and make it fit rather than onto a sheet of paper… Because while I write electronically, I like to plan on actual paper (with a pencil… erasing is important XD) for the little planning that I do.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Hannah.
                  Mallory O’Bier
                  @overcomer
                    • Total Posts: 550

I do have that problem, @winter-rose ! How about that? 😉
                    I haven’t come up with a cool name to describe outliners yet, but when I do, you’ll be the first to know.

My projects? They’re coming along, @aella … if not so fast as I expected, they’re still coming along.

I’ve been real busy too, @zoe-wingfeather . I’m just beginning to bury myself in my writing again after nearly a month of craziness!

I am no longer participating in the 100 for 100 Challenge. I decided to quit when I realized that keeping up with the challenge had become more important to me than my novel. While the challenges are very helpful I discovered that I needed to go about writing my novel my own way.

I often have to do things that are part of writing my novel without actually being “writing” like organizing notes and research. I found myself forcing new writing to make my quota when I really needed to be working on another aspect. (Like note reading) 😉

Still, the concept has given me some ideas for the future. The 100 words a day is a very doable target word count and the “grace days” make a lot of sense.

Maybe I’ll give the challenge another shot next year.

Anonymous

Just wanted to say that I finished the first draft of my first novel today! YAY! It was such a joy (and relief) to finally write ‘the end’.

Daeus
                      @daeus
                        • Total Posts: 4238

@winter-rose Wahoo! That’s one of the best feelings ever.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Mallory O’Bier
                        @overcomer

Bully for you, @winter-rose ! ?

I’m nowhere near there. Today, I’m trimming notes and organizing stuff mostly. Not very exciting, but at least the printer’s working again. ⛅ (Don’t ask!) 😉

Greta
                          @gretald
                            • Total Posts: 450

@winter-rose Congratulations!!! That’s a wonderful accomplishment. 🙂

Anonymous

@gretald Thanks:)

@daeus
                              Yea it’s crazy, though I’m a little lost now that the first draft is over. 🙂

@overcomer
                              printer problems eh? Sounds lovely 😉 Good luck with the rest of your project (and organizing your notes) 🙂

Mallory O’Bier
                              @overcomer

Thanks, @winter-rose . 🙂 It’s coming together. There isn’t a lot of organizing left to do, really, it’s just time-consuming. It’s kinda like treasure hunting, only a little more tedious.

Good luck getting unlost. 😉

Have you ever listened to the Really Serious Writing Show podcast? It’s great. I took a break from my notes and had fun drawing pictures of dragons while listening to the dragon-themed interview with @hope the other day.

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy
                                  • Total Posts: 3976

@Winter-Rose that is awesome! And now you feel like crashing, right? 😉

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >