@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Bible Challenge in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@sarah-h I don’t like the Phantom of the Opera, but there is one song in there, “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” which is nice by itself. I will be singing it at my singing teacher’s end of year concert. 🙂 It is very difficult. (But fun too) 🙂
@clairec *pats you on the shoulder* Theatre blues, terrible things. I’ve heard that song before. 🙂 -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
@julia-r So you approve of shape-shifting? *wags eyebrows* Some readers don’t, but I’ve used it in one fantasy story so far. I’d love to do a dragon/person shapeshifter sometime, though that’s been done before in more than one place. My own shapeshifter was a bit…subtler. 😉
@Jess, well, everyone else has been asking plenty of valid questions,…[Read more]
-
Julia R. replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
@jess: superpowers is such a trending movie/book topic right now. Because, let’s face it: superpowers are great, and we all wish we had them. (Oh, and according to several quizzes I’ve taken, I have the ability to create ice, force fields, and can make myself invisible. Yeah, it comes in handy.) And, because that genre is so popular, and so many…[Read more]
-
Julia R. replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
Looks like you’ve got it almost figured out, @jess! @emma-flournoy, good points. Maybe, the reason for having only five descendants is a one-child-per-family law sort of like China, to ensure a steady birth/death rate and to prevent over-population and famine. Your world reminds me of The Giver, by Lois Lowry. Not saying you can’t use that world…[Read more]
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
@Jess I like it. Well about as much as I would like a story of that sort. I’m not all that fond of sci-fi. But I’d probably read this.
Just a random suggestion, maybe the kids shouldn’t all know each other at the start. And maybe one of them doesn’t even realize they’re not normal. What if some of the kids met up but they needed to find someone…[Read more]
-
Julia R. posted an update 10 years ago
Hey @everyone, I know some of you aren’t American, but I wanted to remind you about the 15-year anniversary of the devastating attack on the World Trade Center. Just lift up an extra prayer today for those affected most.
-
Julia R. replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
Oops, @jess, I forgot to tag you in my last post…
-
Julia R. replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
If you’re asking if you should use Alexa or Alexis in your book… that’s tough! Then there’s always Alexyi or Alexi or Alixis… the variations are unlimited! Look on websites or in books for baby names… they often have numerous variations and alternate spellings for a “normal” name.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
@jess Dalton is a major character in book 3 of the knights of Arrethtrae. And then he is in book 4 too.
What time period is your story set in? -
Julia R. replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
@jess: I think Hazel was used in the Percy Jackson books, but I might be wrong. I like the name Dalton a lot. Your book sounds amazing! Although, you don’t want the government in your book to end up like Syndrome (a.k.a. Buddy) from the Incredibles: killing off people with powers because they are jealous of their gifts. I like the idea of the kids…[Read more]
-
Julia R. replied to the topic To all and sundry in the forum Start HERE 10 years ago
@dragon-snapper: LOL you sound like you’d be handy on camping trips! I’m sure your claws make typing a little difficult.
I ended up having to order The Art of Big Hero 6 from inter-library loan, so if you can’t find it at your local library system, you may have to search abroad. When you do get your hands on that book, look for Jin Kim’s artwork…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Quick Critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years ago
@daeus will do. 😉 I’ll be sending the first part out next Monday, I think.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Quick Critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years ago
@hope Yeah, send it to me.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Quick Critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years ago
Also, for those of you who expressed interest in Fidelyon (@dragon-snapper, @daeus …@anyoneelse) I am excited to announce that I’m opening the novella for beta reading. If you’d like to see my ‘final’ blurb (thanks again everyone for your help) and are interest in details or in beta reading the novel, you can check it out and sign-up on my blog here! 😀
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Quick Critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years ago
Also, for those of you who expressed interest in Fidelyon (@daeus, @dragon-snapper…@anyoneelse) I am excited to announce that I’m opening the novella for beta reading. If you’d like to see my ‘final’ blurb (thanks again everyone for your help) and are interest in details or in beta reading the novel, you can check it out and sign-up on my blog here! 😀
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Quick Critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years ago
Also, for those of you who expressed interest in Fidelyon (@daeus, @dragon-snapper…@anyoneelse) I am excited to announce that I’m opening the novella for beta reading. If you’d like to see my ‘final’ blurb (thanks again everyone for your help) and are interest in details or in beta reading the novel, you can check it out and sign-up on my blog here! 😀
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Quick Critique in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years ago
@anna-brie Sorry, I just realized I never replied to you. *sheepish grin* I’m hoping to traditionally published…hopefully at Enclave. Though if that doesn’t work, I will publish myself. But even if a publisher does write a blurb for me (which I’d love) I like to have my own for blog work and stuff.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic The (Awesome) Summer Writing Club! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@overcomer I have a blog and I really enjoy blogging. I think they are a fun way for readers to follow writers and for writers to connect, but I don’t think one has to have a regular blog. I do think it’s a good idea for a writer to have somewhere they can post occasionally about what they are doing though. And there is something to be said for…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Plot help please! in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years ago
The book sounds interesting, though everyone has pretty much beat me to what I’d say… Experiments of some kind which are why the kids have the abilities they have. If you connect the abilities to one thing, that might be easier…have you read Michael Vey? The writing in some of the last books is awful, but the story itself is pretty good,…[Read more]
- Load More

@julia-r I didn’t see this until after 9/11, but thanks for the reminder. It is so unbelievably sad for me (and I didn’t know anyone who died), but I can’t imagine what the families and friends of 9/11 victims must be feeling at this time of year. 🙁 :'(