-
filewriter@base13x and
Sam Kowal are now friends 8 years, 6 months ago -
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
Characters can be super tough. After all, it’s like trying to create your own little person, and make them seem real, with nothing but letters. I’ve had a lot of trouble with characters at times, too, and often mine would come off as dry or boring.
But yes, despite that, I do still get excited about characters! Characters can…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
Ah, no worries! Those things can be annoying!
Okay, that is the coolest idea I’ve heard in forever. I think you should write it if you want to! The thing about Robin Hood is that there are a lot of Robin Hood books but not so many retellings, as in making a purposeful (and shocking!) twist to the story. I can only think of one R…[Read more]
-
Alia replied to the topic Outlining – Love It or Hate It? in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@waterlily, I have a very interesting style of either I completely plan out the book, or just have a vague idea and go with the flow. there is no in between for me until I have gotten father into it.
I have found it easiest to not outline in the beginning, but as the story progresses to jot down your ideas. But that might just be me
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Help!!! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@celticcailin Also, here’s a link to a songwriting topic we had here awhile ago
   https://kingdompen.org/forums/topic/the-kingdom-pen-songwriting-corner/
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Help!!! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@supermonkey42 😀 Yep. And Stan sings them. It’s hard on the ears, believe me
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Help!!! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@celticcailin I have some experience writing songs and such, but I’m definitely no expert. I actually barely know anything about any real songwriting ‘rules’ I just go from what I like to write personally. I’d love to give you any help I can. Do you want to post your songs, or a link to them?
-
Alia replied to the topic Critique for my Kinda Sorta Fantasy Novel in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 6 months ago
@ariel-ashira, my plan is to have it done by June. So be on the lookout then for a way to read it then
-
Daeus replied to the topic Outlining – Love It or Hate It? in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
I use K.M.Wieland’s outlining system for outlining my novel. I only do basic outlines of chapters when I come to them. I also keep a long bullet list of random ideas for my story and many of these ideas end up getting woven into the plot.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Outlining – Love It or Hate It? in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
I love outlining (or, at least I love how it works for me) and I don’t think I know anybody who has tried outlining and been disappointed by it. I also know a couple people who have tried outlining and been happy they did.
At the same time, I don’t recommend outlining everything. Your story needs room to evolve. If you outline too deeply, you’ll…[Read more]
-
Josiah DeGraaf replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
@gh24682468999 I use a character questionnaire sheet I made up that used to be on KP and is currently on the Story Embers site. For me, a lot of a character has to do with asking enough questions about them to boil them down to three central qualities about who they are as a person. Once I have a set core for the character, it’s easier for me to…[Read more]
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic Alpha/Beta Readers for My Dystopian WIP in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 6 months ago
@skredder Okay, thank you 🙂
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
@gh24682468999 This may sound ridiculous, but I get really excited about my characters when I imagine them doing stuff in moveie form. 🙂
Actually, the newly launched website storyembers.org has a downloadable character questionnaire. K. M. Weiland also has a more extensive character form she fills out. You can get that on her website,…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
My rule of thumb is that main characters should be both bright and deep. “Bright” as in they have some qualities that you (and hopefully your readers) find interesting (note: this is not the same as likable or attractive). “Deep” means that these traits come from a source (the characters’ past or background) that should at least be…[Read more]
-
The fledgling Artist replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
@gh24682468999 *squeals* Characters are the best part of writing/storytelling for me! Don’t ask me how to create intense plots or even good pacing.. But characters? 🙂
Disclaimer, I doubt I know as much as I think I know about characters, and i’m pretty bad at explaining the stuff I do understand.
Okay so I think with character development t…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
@gh24682468999 Hi Grace! This is a cool question. 🙂 I’m going to answer it for myself, but I have no idea if my methods are the same as everyone else’s. 😀
Well, I read in the front page of every book where the author has the disclaimer which says something like “any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental,” and I w…[Read more]
-
The fledgling Artist replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@seekjustice
Im unable to access wordpress at the moment (our household has a add blocker thingy that interferes with certain websites sometimes) but ill have to remember to check it out at some point!Don’t worry! Long posts don’t scare me! (as long as its a topic as interesting as writing 😀 )
A while back I had an idea for a retelling of…[Read more]
-
The fledgling Artist replied to the topic Help!!! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
Hey! @celticcailin I’m pretty clueless when it comes to music but I think @jess-penrose does music? (maybe??)
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Stars Fill Infinity in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 6 months ago
THANK YOU 🙂 🙂
I know, the Chessy and Manly scenes made me very emotional 😢
And yes, be scared! There is emotional trauma coming for you!
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
Bye 🙂
@jess-penrose that’s really cool! I can’t even play an instrument, let alone compose music but it sounds like an amazing skill!
(Oh yes, I love Banjo. Henry Lawson not so much, but Banjo is awesome! What’s your favourite poem?)
I have to go now 🙂
- Load More
