Writing Romantic Subplots!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Writing Romantic Subplots!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@mineralizedwritings also!!! I’m so happy u like my charries!!

I don’t want it to be weird but I really love their relationship and think it’s super sweet. I know a lot of people and the world can twist things into just weird stuff and everything but idk I just find it real sweet and I like it and think it’s fine and innocent and just so sweet how close the too are

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2794

@godlyfantasy12

yeah, I really like Grimm for some reason! Like idk why! He sounds so interesting, and his name seems very fitting.

Nyx having to talk to people he doesn’t trust out of need is a really interesting thing…

Aww he’s a sweetheart inside? I love that 😀!!

haha yes… pet peeve… lol I get it. And if I were an intelligent animal I would feel exactly the same lol.

Aha, Corvina! I know perhaps…just a little…about her….😂 I read a crucial scene from the spoiler forum about the time I started on KP.

Thanks! yeah, Layson is pretty goofy. I have this idea that while he is away, he makes a extremely awful animal guide to send to Tauren, the drawings aren’t so bad, but the names are completely wrong and he’s got Tauren thinking a snake is a frog 😂 (very much on purpose) . He learns that there’s a time to be serious over the course of the book though.

(This allows me to have a scene of Tauren and Lesli watching a snake waiting for it to jump… lol it’s like the dumbest thing ever but I can’t wait to wright it)

Also I get that about not wanting it to seem weird, I mean it’s different with my charries because they are all human. I have a similar thing with Kaine and Everly, they’re really close. Because Everly kinda raised Kaine, she really puts all the love on him and vice versa. They’re just kinda all each-other have. Idk if it’s the same with Nyx and Lyn, but when you’re going through something hard, I feel like it can strengthen bonds.

へびは かっこいい です!

GodlyFantasy12
        @godlyfantasy12

@mineralizedwritings yes it’s like Kaine with Everly, but Ik sometimes it can be viewed as strange because it’s an animal, but to me he’s just like if he were a person.

and I’m still trying to decide on a certain ability his species may or may not have that….well…might explain some of that.

let me just say it’s very similar to shifters.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
          #ProtectMarcel
          #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
          @godlyfantasy12

Also the snake and frog thing is HILARIOUS! I’m now imagining Tauren and Lesli sitting behind a bush watching a snake all wide eyed 😂

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
            #ProtectMarcel
            #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12

@mineralizedwritings @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @whalekeeper @felicity @esther-c

SPEAKING OF ROMANTIC SUBPLOTS/PLOTS

i literally can’t make this post without mentioning my main subplot (that actually could be a full plot since it’s really important to the actual plot too and one of the MCs Charrie arcs 😂)

And that is….

ARA AND NOVEMBER!

*squeals* 🥹🥰

I luv them so much.

Anyway…I know not all of u have probably read much with them, and honestly I don’t have just a ton written in my drafts…but from what some of u might know of them…what do y’all think of them?

They’re basically best friends to lovers in the most basic of terms…and also Boy has crush on girl and girl is totally oblivious but would totally reciprocate his feelings if she knew, but he’s just so insecure and feels too imperfect for her trope…

(yes that’s a trope now XD XD)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Koshka
              @koshka
                • Total Posts: 1424

@godlyfantasy12

(Oops, I intended to respond earlier, but…)

Ara and November are great together, from what I’ve read of the first draft scenes you posted. (November’s father makes my blood boil, but that’s beside the point)

I don’t exactly have any romance plots in my book yet, but I do know which characters get married (if that makes sense). Like so, Vulka meets this northern cheiftain’s daughter while he’s on his mission, and I’ve basically decided those two get married after the book, but I probably won’t hint at anything in the book.

And I’m pretty sure most readers will ship Cecile and Mikkel, so I’ve sort of become used to the idea.

I am writing a short story for the twins’ parents, Vratislav and Mila, showing how they meet. (And having fun exploring the various customs of the wolf tribes, such as at the betrothal ceremony the bridegroom gives his sword to his future father-in-law in a pledge to not go to war until after the wedding [although Vratislav doesn’t exactly keep that promise very well, but he has no choice so they forgive him]) I may post it on here once it’s finished to see what y’all think. I have never written anything like romance, so I’d like to hear your input.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

MineralizedWritings
                @mineralizedwritings

@godlyfantasy12

MY THIRD TIME WRITING THIS KP STOP EATING THEMMMM

my post gets shorter every time because I have to re-wright it sorry lol…

I would love to know what Nyx would look like as a human…. if he does shapeshift. And I don’t think there is anything odd about it. It’s a bit different with a romance, but as long as they have a human form I think it is okay.

Oh, november and ara?

What do I think of them?!

I think they are awesome!

I may be partial to the curly hair…

and cute boi’s in general…

he seems like such a cinnamon roll…

🥰

Anyways, I think they are great characters, and I really like the trope you have going. I actually like friends to romance in books, I think it can be easier on the author in some ways. I know it’s probobly harder to, and it’s important just like any romance to portray it correctly, but because the base of friendship is already there, you know there is really love underneath all the cute fluffy stuff that’s added.

へびは かっこいい です!

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@godlyfantasy12

Oh and I do have a scene like that

When Lesli is meeting Everly for the first time (already awkward because they hardly see other pople, much less somebody there age) Tauern comes running out saying he saw a frog (snake) in a tree, he’s going to poke it to see if it jumps, and wants to know if Lesli wants to watch, and then he realizes he just interrupted and it’s about the stupidest thing possible 🤣

I like to embarrass my charries if you can’t tell.

Everly is confused because they don’t have frogs, much less in trees. 😂

へびは かっこいい です!

Esther
                    @esther-c
                      • Total Posts: 3202

@mineralizedwritings @godlyfantasy12 @koshka

Those character romances sound so cute!!! And fun to write! 😉

My charrie romances:

Everton and Amidala—

(Everdala)

Kind of similar to Ara’s and November’s, except that they both like each other and only drop hints, never actually telling each other the blatant truth the whole trilogy! 😆 By the end of their journey, everyone can tell, so it’s not much of a secret.😁

Lukas and Skyler—

(Luke Skywalker)

This one is not much of a romance, but more of a middle school crush, bc they are young. (Lukas-13 Skyler-11, turns 12) 😁 Lukas likes Skyler, and Skyler is absolutely oblivious to it. But when someone finally tells her, her reaction is hilarious and she starts taking advantage of the fact that he likes her. 😆

Also, I have a story that I’d like you all to read through and critique. It’s for my grandparents for Christmas and is purposely a cheesy romance. I don’t have time to talk about it now, but i will later.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Arien
                      @arien
                        • Total Posts: 193

Ooh, fun topic!

@godlyfantasy12
                        I’ve read only a little of what you’ve written, here and there (I haven’t been following the character castle or the school) but I think that Ara and November’s relationship is pretty cute! Especially because they’re best friends but somehow Ara doesn’t see that November’s like, head over heels in a giant crush on her!

@mineralizedwritings

I can’t wait to see how you work out the romantic stuff in your story! Sounds like you’ve got some great ideas going!

(And wow, everything you say about Layson–seriously, he draws an animal guide to make Tauren think a snake is a frog? LOL–reminds me of this guy I know whose name is really similar, so I keep picturing the guy I know happens to be my sister’s crush sorry @starofthenorth )

I don’t have any romance in my WIPs right now, which is fine with me because my characters are all 15 or younger (though in the sequel to A Dream Come True Aedan and Elinor will probably be 18).

BUT

I do enjoy good romance subplots! Though as someone said, I agree that the more “boring” couples are often more enjoyable than the teenage crush thing (no offence to anyone, that’s just my preference!)

What are some books with romantic subplots you all enjoy reading? Rosemary Sutcliff’s books often end with a really sweet happy marriage . . . especially The Eagle of the Ninth and The Lantern Bearers. And I’ve always loved Eowyn and Faramir’s courtship! It’s so beautiful and healing for both of them. 😍😍

Okay, I have to say I have written ONE romantic scene that will probably never appear in a book unless my sister and I get around to writing a giant eight-book fantasy series we’ve talked about . . . and I loved it so much! It’s Elinor and the guy she meets later on (they are probably 19-20). This poor guy has really struggled and almost died several times and lost his best friend and generally had a really tough time, and he thinks he’s not worthy of Elinor. And I had so much fun with creating a natural, believable way that they realize they’re both madly in love with each other . . .

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
                        -Christopher Blakewell

Anonymous
                          • Total Posts: 147

Well….I’m not sure what to say quite in this forum…I’m not a huge romance geek. I typically enjoy a mild romance. But I do know that Grace A. Johnson is AMAZING at this sorta stuff. She’s on this KP I’m pretty sure…I think her tag is: @gracie-j Anyway! You can find more stuff about what she says on subplots via this link. 

As for my subplots, Fenex and Shawn are my couple. I try to add a bit more tension between my romantic writing; I think its accurate…bc not all relationships are all cheesy. Usually, out of the ordinary, two people are drawn together by their differences. Opposites attract.
                          Yeah, that’s my two cents.

Elishavet Pidyon
                          @elishavet-pidyon
                            • Total Posts: 1013

@godlyfantasy12 @ally’all

Oh! I do actually have three romantic subplots. One, you know about, one is a spoiler, and one may or may not end tragically. (But I think you know about that last one)

Anyway, I love making sweet, natural romances. My first was, of course, Alwin and Winifrith.

They sorta meet in the second book, but neither really know names untill the next book, when Alwin works under her father (a knight). William, Alwin, and Winifrith all work together as a team.

They slowly grow closer, and start to share dreams and talk long after their work is done. (And William is just sitting near the door watching them with a smirk) They’re really close friends…

THEN Percy, one of those wonderful friends we all love, asks Alwin if he “likes” her, and poor Alwin is suddenly like, “Uh…. I’d rather not answer that ” XD

After that, he’s a little scared, (some of his background coming out) but he’s also like, “I’m the King’s servant. If this is right, then it will happen. If not, well, I want to go to some pretty dangerous regions anyway, maybe it’s best if I go alone. (Though I don’t want to.)”

And she’s currently wondering if maybe… She doesn’t want to see him go into knighthood alone either. He’ll need help, and maybe a little ginger headed friend could be that help.

I really want their story to be natural, and it is based off several real ones, but does it make sense?

My second one really is a spoiler, but I may end up asking some questions related to it, since it’s a bit complicated.

The third slowly grew from a “hey this would be interesting but I won’t do it” thought. It’s for Reúven. ❤️

Ironically, it actually first depended on killing him to have any involvement in the plot. XD Now…. Stuff has changed.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Erica
                            @starofthenorth
                              • Total Posts: 199

@godlyfantasy12 @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @mineralizedwritings @arien @whoeverelseiforgot

So I have a romantic subplot in my WIP and I love it lol . . . 😍🤣

Christopher and Briana have an interesting relationship. When they are fifteenish (they haven’t met each other yet) their fathers sort of arrange for them to eventually get married. Christopher’s dad is the exiled king (his brother usurped) and Briana’s dad is his chief advisor. They want to insure that the royal line keeps going, so they agree that Chris and Briana will get married when they are old enough.

Briana knows this, but Chris doesn’t. When they meet (they are eighteen, Chris is almost nineteen), they basically get crushes on each other.

Then both of their fathers die when the enemy attacks their country. Chris and Briana end up getting captured, Briana blames  Chris, and it goes downhill fast.

But eventually they forgive each other and fall happily in love.

Whoa, that was long, sorry!

Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices.

Erica
                              @starofthenorth

Lol, it wasn’t actually that long, it just felt like it.

Erica
                                @starofthenorth

@arien

(And wow, everything you say about Layson–seriously, he draws an animal guide to make Tauren think a snake is a frog? LOL–reminds me of this guy I know whose name is really similar, so I keep picturing the guy I know happens to be my sister’s crush sorry

Hey now.

Yeah.

@godlyfantasy12
                                  @mineralizedwritings @lightoverdarkness6

I have discovered that my sister has been telling you all about my crush . . .

I wish I could get back at her but she is crushless right now. I think.

Jk, I’m not actually mad!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >