Writers' Corner #22

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #22

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 587 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice I found it on Netflix. 🙂  I liked it very much.  I think I liked Jeremy Jordan better as Jack than whoever played him at the live version I saw, but I liked the other Crutchie better than the Broadway Crutchie.  So I guess it was about even: I liked some parts of this one better, and some parts of the other one better.  They did a really good job filming it!

Hahaha! 😛

Yesterday I was playing a word game with my mom and a couple of my siblings where we had to guess the word someone picked. (Fives.  Have you ever played it?)  My sister picked a word, and my brother guessed it before I did, but all he said to her was, “Ah, so you like Australian words, huh?” and I kept thinking over and over, “Why can’t I guess this?  Why?  I should know it!” Turned out the word was “bloke”.  And then we all had to explain to one of our little sisters what “bloke” meant.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine

@seekjustice Are all the musicals that you watch on DVDs?  You said you were watching ATOTC the other day, and I assumed you were watching it online for some reason.  Probably because my brother usually finds most of the stuff we watch on Amazon Prime or Netflix or something like that, because it’s cheaper, so I’m more used to it than DVDs now.  But I guess DVDs would be easier for you since they don’t use up internet data, right?

I didn’t even know that there was a full version of the Broadway Newsies filmed, until just a bit ago when I found it. 😛

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@Rochellaine

Bloke is a good word, isn’t it Rochellaine’s sister?

We mostly watch DVDs because of rural internet download, but the other day, when I was watching ATOTC I was on Youtube because it was the last day of the plan and we still had a good amount of internet left and I was trying to use it up. I don’t get to do that a whole lot though.

I really wish we had Netflix though 😛 there’s lots of good shows and musical recordings on there, from what I can gather.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@seekjustice

She says she actually had the word in her head because our littlest sister is crazy about Mary Poppins and has been playing the soundtrack nonstop for weeks now.  In “Chim Chim Cher-ee” a lyric goes “In this whole wide world there’s no happier bloke.”  But I guess my brother thought of Australia first, even though the British use the word too. 😉

Haha.  I’m sure it’s great fun whenever that happens. 😛

So the full ATOTC musical is on YouTube?  That sounds unusual.  Is it the actual Broadway production, or a smaller production?

We talked about The Hunchback of Notre Dame a while back, and you said you hadn’t ever looked it up, if I recall correctly.  I just heard a song from it a few days ago and have been thinking of listening to the rest of the soundtrack when I get the chance.  Are you still not interested in it?  Or have you reconsidered?  I think there are two musicals on it, one French and the other English.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Yes, I was thinking of that line as soon as you said Mary Poppins 😛

No it isn’t, I was watching promotional videos, but some of them were half an hour long. And I was watching some clips from the concert recording and some Korean clips as well.

I’ve listened to the Disney Broadway version, if that’s what you mean?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice

😛

Oh, I see.  I do like watching backstage videos, or “the making of ____” videos. 😉 I find it quite hard to listen to Koreans try to sing in English without laughing, though.

It would have to be that one for me, because I would have no way of understanding the French version. 😛  (Do you listen to any French musicals?  I know you listen to German ones.) I looked up our old conversation and saw that you had mentioned that you listened to it, but that you found it very depressing.  So I guess you still think so?  Was the music good, though?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Well, they were like highlights, so not really any full songs but still cool. Oh, the Koreans were singing in Korean 😛 I’m fairly certain it was the Korean production anyway, but it might have been Japanese, I’m not sure.

The only French musical I’ve listened to is the original Les Mis recording, other than that, not really.

Yeah, it is depressing, but I quite like listening to some of the songs from it, just not usually the whole thing. And yes, I think the music is brilliant 😀 I like it anyway.

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@seekjustice

Sort of like the Brigadoon clips we were watching back when I first told you about it, I guess?  Ah, I see. 😛 I guess that would be less funny.

Oh, okay.  How many languages are you able to read/hear with reasonable clarity?

Great, well, I’ll give it a listen sometime and let you know if I find it as depressing as you do. 😛

Now that you’ve read the next part of my novel, I’d like to ask if you have any advice on writing about a handicapped person?  Bathshua’s arm is nearly useless now, and I’m not sure exactly how to describe that without emphasizing it too much or too little.  (In fact, the first time I wrote the prison scene with her brother I forgot and had her using both her arms for things, and had to go back and change it. 😛 )  You’ve written about a different type of disability with your Waif character, so that counts, right? 😉  Anyway, any thoughts?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Yep.

Only German. Even if I’m not entirely sure about the words, I tend to be able to work it out through context.

I’m not sure what tips to give you really. What I like to do in those situations is try it for myself for a while, like trying to do everything one handed. Also, for Bathshua she would pretty quickly learn how to cope, since she has no other option. And her hand/arm wouldn’t be entirely useless, she would just lack the fine motor skills she would have normally.

Um that’s all I can think of now.

The Impossible Girl
                      @f5a8c3e92
                        • Total Posts: 146

@rochellaine I know I’m just being nitpicky, but tECHNICALLy, “bloke” is a British word. I mean, it makes sense that our Australian slang originated in England: bloke, mate, chockablock, “bloody” before every second word, etc.

I just looked up some other slang and wow… I didn’t realise the word “dodgy” isn’t really a thing in America. Although, I hear “dodge” more often than “dodgy” because us cool kids in Straya have to shorten everything, including already-short words.

Anyway, that was a kinda useless tangent/mini-rant/2 cents from me… As you were.

"Not all who wander are lost."
                        Wild Australian. INXJ.

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine

@f5a8c3e92

Yeah, I can explain. 😛  As you can see, my sister actually was thinking of it because of Mary Poppins, which is definitely British, not Australian. (Though it was written by Americans.  But it’s set in England.  I’m also assuming you know what Mary Poppins is… 😉 ) So, she was thinking of “bloke” as related to British slang.

I think the reason my brother mentioned Australia instead of England was because we have heard Ken Ham (a very popular Creationist here in America, who is originally from Australia) say it.  We don’t really know anyone from England.

Does that help? 🙂

Nope.  “Dodgy” is not a thing in America. 😛 I’m afraid there are very few Australian/American crossovers in slang and popular phrases.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@f5a8c3e92

Dodgy is such a great word though. Basically everything can be described as dodgy. The Americans really don’t know what they’re missing out on.

@rochellaine

Mary Poppins, as in the actual book, was written by an Australian though. I wonder if Bert describes himself as a bloke in that 😛

By the way, I’m working on my editing at the moment, either of you wish to join?

What about you @jenwriter17 @catwing anyone else?

Jenna Terese
                            @jenwriter17
                              • Total Posts: 2522

@seekjustice Ah, I really wish I could write right now, but I’m leaving in a few for my brother’s basketball practice. 🙁

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                              www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

Actually, I probably need to go now 🙁

The Impossible Girl
                                @f5a8c3e92
                                  • Total Posts: 146

@rochellaine Gotcha. An Australian version of Mary Poppins would be legendary, though. And I do indeed know of Ken Ham.

@seekjustice
                                  That is correct. P.L. Travers was born in Australia and moved to London to pursue writing.

I’m currently writing, though I’m a little late. Got guests over, so it’s been a little on-and-off since I need to avoid being too antisocial.

"Not all who wander are lost."
                                  Wild Australian. INXJ.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 587 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >