Writers' Corner #21

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #21

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 899 total)
  • Author
    Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17
      • Total Posts: 2522

@catwing @rochellaine @bluejay I have to run now. 🙁 See ya later!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
      www.jennaterese.com

Catwing
      @catwing
        • Total Posts: 2557

@rochellaine Yes but, EIGHT WORDS! Thank you. 🙂

@jenwriter17
        Bye!

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

BlueJay
        @bluejay
          • Total Posts: 1622

@rochellaine Puppet making. (Look up Susie Adiva on Instagram if you have it.) That’s my puppet and it also has a link to my puppet friends facebook page.

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice
            • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

Maybe we just don’t play it in our family. we tend to play a game where we all choose a brand of car and tally up the numbers that drive past, and whoever gets the most wins 😀

Well, Australians are definitely much less up there on the flags. Only government buildings and the odd private house has a flag (though, there’s a house in my town that has a Confederate flag, for some unknown reason?? I’m guessing they’re American, so they’re still with the whole flag thing).

We’re also much less about country, and more for people, if that makes sense? Like, “mateship” or “comradeship” seems to be much more highly valued virtue here, rather than “patriotism”. So the loyalty is toward our friends specifically, rather than the country, or the flag. and we tend to make a big show of hating the government, but we tend to like them for the most part 😛

Also, half of us want independence, half of us don’t, but most of us will defend Her Majesty with our dying breaths 😛 😛

Would you generally agree with that @bluejay ? it’s really hard to try and explain the differences, even though they’re definitely there.

(Oh, and I was watching National Treasure last night and at one point when the blonde girl was basically giving her life to save the Declaration of Independence, and I said to my mum, “I’d like to think that I would do that for a historical document…but I wouldn’t.” And then my mum said, “Yeah, but we don’t have anything like the Declaration of Independence”. and my mental response to that is basically, “What, we’ve got plenty of pieces of animal skin with writing on them!”)

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine
              • Total Posts: 3322

@bluejay Nope, I don’t have it.  Sorry. 🙁  But that sounds like an interesting business to have!

@seekjustice
              That sounds like a fun game.

Yeah, we’ve got flags everywhere.  American flags, state flags, sometimes other flags as well, for organizations, always placed under the American and state flags.  And if you go down South you do have the Confederate flags popping up quite frequently, though the political activists have been trying to get rid of them the past few years. 😉

I see. 🙂

Okay, my first thought was “I probably would” then immediately after I thought, “no, I probably wouldn’t” and then I got quite uncertain with myself and decided to look National Treasure up because I’d never heard of it before. 😛

Upon reading the plot on Wikipedia, I came to these conclusions: (1) Isn’t it the girl’s job to protect the Declaration?  In that case, her sense of duty toward it would be even stronger than the average American.  (2) “Oh no, SeekJustice must think our history is really weird after watching a movie like that…” 😛

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice
                • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

We were a nation for quite a while before we had a flag other than the Union Jack, so maybe that’s got something to do with it?

Yeah, I definitely wouldn’t. And I’d argue that as a restorer of historical documents, her job description does not include staying with people who kidnapped you in order to protect it.

Don’t worry, I know that it’s (mostly) conspiracy theory. But I myself came to two conclusions… 1). You really do have a grudge against the British (all the villains in the movie are British :P) and 2) your actual history is weirder than the conspiracy parts.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine
                  • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Perhaps.  I’ve heard that the British do not excessively display flags either except on national holidays, though, so I kind of think it may be just an American thing.  Not that Americans are necessarily more patriotic than others, just that we more outwardly and excessively display and rejoice in our patriotism. 😉

To clarify: I definitely wouldn’t at this point either.  I think it would depend on the circumstance, and the circumstance in which I’d feel a duty to give my life for the Declaration would be if I were a government official.  Basically the big question for me is whether I’d ever be willing to actually become a government official or a militaristic sort of person.  It’s very unlikely. 😛  What I meant originally was that I didn’t think it very strange that she would consider doing such a thing, always dependent upon circumstances.

Haha…um…okay.

(1) We do not presently have a grudge against the British.  However, when speaking of anything having to do with either the Revolutionary War or the War of 1812, we have a distinct feeling of animosity towards the British of the time.  We tend to view them separately from the present British people.  I believe, in the case of the movie you’re referring to, if the British are the chosen antagonists in that film, it is because the subject matter deals with the time period in which we were fighting the British.  Does that seem to be right?  As I said, I haven’t seen the movie so I can’t be sure.

(2) No comment. 😛  One question, though: Any particular parts of our history you’d like to mention with regards to that inference?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Catwing
                  @catwing

@rochellaine @seekjustice I have seen National Treasure(I saw the second half recently, but I’ve seen the whole thing before). But I’m going to bed, so maybe I can discuss it tomorrow. If y’all still on that then. XD
                    Good night.

Alia
                    @alia
                      • Total Posts: 1253

@rochellaine, @ariel-ashira, @catwing, @jenwriter17, and anyone else

I’ll be here for a bit

WIP - Decisions
                      Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Catwing
                      @catwing

@alia I’m here.

Alia
                        @alia

@catwing, what are you working on?

WIP - Decisions

Catwing
                          @catwing

@alia Starting Fires, my Nano novel. Currently Alex is staying with some people who are going to help her burn stuff…

Alia
                            @alia

@catwing, sounds exciting.

Want to word war? get in those words needed to reach 50,000?

WIP - Decisions

Catwing
                              @catwing

@alia Yep! Spies!

Sure. Yep I need to do that. Are you doing Nano I can’t remember cause some people said yes, some said, no. And now I can’t remember what you said. XD
                                15 minutes?

Alia
                                @alia

@catwing, you have me hooked. If you ever need a beta/alpha (no clue what the difference is honestly) reader I volunteer.

I thought about doing it, but life has been to crazy at the moment. this is the first time in about a month that I have actually written anything.

15 sounds great. I’ll go ahead and start

WIP - Decisions

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 899 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >