Writers' Corner #21

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #21

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 899 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@valtmy

Not the Lady of the Lake but the nymph/hand/creature that gives Arthur the sword.

Not all that many. 😛 this is only a short story that I’m planning on entering into a competition. Those are the sorts of things I work on in between drafting or editing big novels.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
      @valtmy
        • Total Posts: 732

@seekjustice

I don’t know much about Arthurian legends, unfortunately. My knowledge on that subject is limited to the TV show Merlin and this other show where a group of mages summoned spirits of legendary figures from myth and history to fight in a battle royale. King Arthur was one of the summoned spirits and he turned out to be a girl so yeah… I really know nothing. 😛

But your story sounds interesting! Could I read it after it is done and submitted? (Oh, and won’t you be busy with Nanowrimo soon? When’s the competition deadline?)

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@valtmy

I find the Arthurian legends very interesting, and I especially enjoy playing with the older versions, which a lot of people have forgotten now. I haven’t seen Merlin but it does sound interesting.

Certainly! The competition deadline isn’t until March, I think, next year, but I tend to be a procrastinator, so I thought I’d get in early while I didn’t really have anything else to do. I’m hoping to finish by the end of the week, so I can put it aside during NaNo and then go to editing it afterward.

Unfortunately, the word count is a max of 10k. So far I’m at 4k and not really anywhere near the middle. so its definitely going to need some editing.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
          @valtmy

@seekjustice

Oh, so I’ll have to wait till March? 😛

By the way, I notice that your projects tend to be retellings of some kind. 😛

valtmy
            @valtmy

@seekjustice

Oh, and is King Arthur an exception to your general abhorrence for royalty? 😛

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@valtmy

Well, I’d be happy to let you read it before then.

Oh yes. that’s because I’m a brilliant writer and often read things and think “I could do so much better than this”. 😛

But yeah, I do a lot of retellings. I think I enjoy the challenge of taking something that people are familiar with and changing it. It’s kind of fun. 😛

Well, I honestly think Arthur is a dolt and I don’t like him very much. I prefer the stories about the other people, especially Gawain and Galahad. Arthur and Guinevere tend to make me frustrated beyond all reason.

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine
                  • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice *rushes in* Did you say word war??!!  Am I too late?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
                  @valtmy

@seekjustice

Haha. But say, for bigger projects that need more investment, you would only do a retelling if you actually kind of like the original work, right?

I am not surprised by that opinion :P.

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I will more than happily word war with you, if you’d like that.

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice

@valtmy

Yes. I usually do retellings of things I like quite a lot. And usually, it’s not so much that I think I have a better way of doing it, but just that I have a different way, which I’d like to explore.

No, I don’t think you should be. 😀 I also fail to see how Lancelot and Guinevere are romantic and not just plain selfish/stupid.

valtmy
                        @valtmy

@rochellaine @seekjustice

Have fun with your word war then. My current whereabouts is not conducive for that. 😛

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@seekjustice 😀 😀 I will fail miserably, but I’d love to try anyhow.  I usually find word wars help me through rough places, since I don’t think about how hard it is to write, but simply write. 😉

Unfortunately, I’m tired, so can we do a short, five minute war?

(And hooray for the Comic History of Britain! 😉 )

@valtmy
                            Have you had a chance to look up The Mikado yet?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Certainly 😀 Shall I put on my timer?

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@seekjustice Go ahead. 🙂 I’ll time myself after I post this.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
                                @valtmy

@rochellaine

I watched a short portion. Not enough to really form an opinion. I’ll have to make time to watch it in full.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 899 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >