Writers' Corner #20

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Writers' Corner #20

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 736 total)
  • Author
    NC Stokes
    @daughteroftheking
      • Total Posts: 1156

@rochellaine Oops. My attempts to tag have been thwarted by misspelling. Let me try that again.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@daughteroftheking I just tagged you with your SE name šŸ˜› See my above post.

Oh, and donā€™t worry, you werenā€™t missing out on much.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

NC Stokes
        @daughteroftheking

@seekjustice Haha! I would be the same, except my story concepts are usually so ridiculous, they seem best as kidā€™s books.

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@daughteroftheking

I think I was cursed with all the worldā€™s sad stories. I donā€™t know what I did to deserve that, but there you have it šŸ™‚

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine
              • Total Posts: 3322

@daughteroftheking I wouldnā€™t necessarily use the word ā€œrealisticā€ in describing them.Ā  Iā€™d probably say ā€œsensationalisticā€ and ā€œmelodramatic.ā€Ā  You didnā€™t miss much. šŸ˜›

There is no better genre than his-fic, though.Ā  None.

@seekjustice
              I agree, they were both wrong about a lot of things.

Iā€™ve heard/read many references to Elsie Dinsmore in 1900s fiction and sheā€™s always made fun of.Ā  Usually when someone cries theyā€™re called Elsie Dinsmore, or when they stick up for their morals theyā€™re called that in mockery.Ā  Have you ever heard the books referenced in other fictional works?

(By the way, I donā€™t know if you noticed but you just made my day by reminding me that Zac is still alive in my story.Ā  That is so absolutely cool.) šŸ˜›

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice @daughteroftheking

*reads above posts*

ā€¦am I the only Kapeefer who is not on SE now? šŸ˜®

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

No, Iā€™ve never heard it referenced, as far as I can remember, but I donā€™t read a lot of 1900s fiction so that might be it šŸ˜›

I did see that šŸ˜€ And well, heā€™s hardly at risk of being guillotined in an American college, is he? (I sure hope not anyway).

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I know! Iā€™m sorry! Iā€™ve betrayed you! Please forgive me! *faints like some sort of melodramatic gothic romance heroine*

Iā€™ve actually been a member of Story Embers since it started though. And I did manage to find many of my lost compatriots who have migrated there.

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice

@rochellaine

By the way, Iā€™ve been meaning to tell you for ages, I was going through an old story of mine and I realised that it has almost exactly the same plot as SFI, except itā€™s got otters instead of people. However, you would be so pleased to know that no oneā€“I repeat,Ā no oneā€“died in it. Not the Jonas otter or the Zac otter, or any of them.

In fact, I had a phobia of killing characters at the time, shown by the fact that they managed to survive an entire revolution without dying.

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh, whoops.Ā  I meant twentieth century fiction, not just stuff from 1900-1909. šŸ˜›Ā  But I guess I am mostly talking about stuff from about 1900-1950.

Haha, I would hope not. šŸ˜€ So Zac is alive.Ā  You know what?Ā  Iā€™m still excited about that.

some sort of melodramatic gothic romance heroine

Oh right.Ā  You like Northanger Abbey. šŸ˜›

Yeah, itā€™s not a big deal.Ā  The main reason I didnā€™t get onto SE was because it was too big and scary. šŸ˜‰

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

NC Stokes
                        @daughteroftheking

@seekjustice *pats your head awkwardly* šŸ˜›

@rochellaine
                          HIS-FIC!! *overly enthusiastic high five*
                          Anyway, Iā€™m off. Happy writing, guys!

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Well, I havenā€™t read a lot of that either, soā€¦

I still am utterly confused by why people like Zac so much, but thatā€™s okay. I just go with it šŸ˜€

I like Northanger Abbey precisely because it makes fun of gothic romances šŸ˜‰

I know! Thereā€™s a lot of people Iā€™ve never heard of before and also some of them are a lot older than most of the people were on here. There also seems to be a higher proportion of males, which is curious, since there were never many on here.

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@seekjustice Hahahaha!!Ā  That is hilarious. šŸ˜›Ā  And nearly inconceivable.Ā  How could it be possible that you wrote an entire story in which no one died??

That reminds me of how my first couple of fifteen-page ā€œbooksā€ were in the fantasy genre complete with a giant, (who had some sort of flying saucer on his head on which a city of people lived) an invisible walled city which flew to a different location every night, and a talking lion.

(Keep in mind that at the time I wrote it Iā€™d never heard of Brigadoon or Narnia.)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

@daughteroftheking Good bye!

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

It happens more often than you think. Youā€™ve only read a select few of my works over the years. The reason no one died in that particular story, though, was because I had just finished an obsession with a series of novels which was so full of useless, violent death that I vowed never to kill my characters. A bit later, I realised that people actually do die on occasion and so I started reintroducing death into my stories. None of my stories have featured so much death as SFI though. Not even my war stories.

Actually, the concept of that story sounds quite cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 736 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >