Writers' Corner #20

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #20

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 736 total)
  • Author
    NC Stokes
    @daughteroftheking
      • Total Posts: 1156

@Rochellaine @seekjustice *crashes through door* *plunks self down on the floor to write* I have finally got a decent stretch of time to write. Yay! *does a little dance* So hi!

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@daughteroftheking

Hello there! What are you working on?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

NC Stokes
        @daughteroftheking

@seekjustice Heyo! Working on my WIP. I’m trying write a fight scene, which is a… *nervous laugh* challenge. What are you up to?

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@daugtheroftheking

I…um…dislike writing fight scenes. Good luck.

Currently just working on some ideas for a short story I’m going to write and doing some research and reading Rochellaine’s story.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine
              • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice I have read the first three Elsie Dinsmore books.  I read the first two when I was very young and absolutely adored them.  And I reread them, tears streaming down my face every time.  When I came back to them as I grew older and when I read the third book I realized they weren’t what I had remembered.

This article actually sums up a lot of the problems with them.  There are a couple of things I would add to it, and one or two things I disagree with in it, but mostly, yeah, the books aren’t as good as they’re said to be.

What have you read about them?  Good or bad?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I just read that article actually. And I agree with it. My mum bought me the full set years ago and I read a few of them, but I couldn’t ever like them. Elsie and I are just too different and she’s suffocatingly perfect. I also didn’t like the treatment of the slaves as something less than human. And goodness, her father is so controlling it borders on abuse.

Needless to say, I don’t like them.

NC Stokes
                @daughteroftheking

@seekjustice Thank you. 🙂 Thankfully, this one should be over quickly. 😛

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@daughteroftheking

That’s good. I hate those prolonged ones that force you to keep writing for page after page…those ones are terrible.

NC Stokes
                    @daughteroftheking

@seekjustice Ugg, that sounds quite tedious. Since my target audience is kids/ middle grade, I hope I’ll never have to get too intense. *inconspicuously doesn’t mention all the potentially fighty-er plot bunnies circling my brain*

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@seekjustice Thankfully my mom didn’t waste her money on the full set. 😛

The one thing I disagree with about the article is the part where it says Elsie has no right to think for herself against her father.  I do think eight-year-olds are often mature enough to read the Bible for themselves and come to their own conclusions, and I like what her father eventually decided, that if he commanded her to do something against her beliefs she was not required to obey him.

Though I do think a few of her beliefs were rather extreme…

The thing is, if her father had been a Christian, I would be more likely to agree with the article, but since he wasn’t, Elsie had no reason to trust that he’d be wiser than she in determining what the Bible said.  Once he became a Christian she did differ to him in her beliefs on several occasions, if I remember correctly.

I do think the whole thing with Mr. Travilla was extremely weird.

@daughteroftheking
                        Hey!  I forgot to say hello. 🙂 Any thoughts on Elsie Dinsmore?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@daughteroftheking That’s good. I wrote a revolution once and that went for a very long time and was quite emotionally draining. 🙁 Maybe I should take up writing for little kids.

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@seekjustice Frankly, I would be extremely wary of reading any books you wrote to little kids. 😉

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

NC Stokes
                            @daughteroftheking

@seekjustice *lights dim* Yes… join the children’s writers side… *ominous laughter* … *clears throat* *lights come back on* Sorry, uh, don’t know what that was about. *acts casual*

@rochelaine Hey there! I’ve never read those books, but I don’t think I would have liked them. I wasn’t big on realistic books and didn’t really get into historical fiction until I was older. (And then oh boy was I into it, but I digress.) 😛

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I’m pretty sure there all still neatly stacked up under the bed. I’m thinking of selling them 😀 Though they are very pretty.

I’m not sure what I think of that statement. On one hand, her father didn’t understand that he’d been gone for her whole life and literally all she had was her faith, which was why it meant so much to her. He could have tried to understand and come to terms with that, and then go from there, discussing together the things they should and shouldn’t do on the Sabbath. He should have been willing to let her not do the things she thought were wrong. On the other hand, Elsie was ridiculous about it. It brought to mind the bit in the Bible where the Pharisees get upset about the disciples picking grain on the Sabbath. It wasn’t like her father was asking her to do anything explicitly stated in the Bible to be wrong, he was just going against her personal interpretation of things. And she is only eight years old, I believed a lot of things at eight which I certainly don’t believe anymore. I think they were both in the wrong in that case.

That disturbed me even as a ten year old and I’ve been scared off ever since 😀

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@ncstokes @rochellaine

Yeah, me too. I feel that I wouldn’t be particularly good at it.

And even if I was, the parents would not approve.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 736 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >