Writers' Corner #20

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #20

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 736 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@valtmy

Well, it still sounds like a fairly depressing story 😛

Ah, canola fields are really pretty! There’s a lot of them around here too and I like looking at them 🙂 .

@rochellaine

Hello! Its been…a few days. How are you?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
      @valtmy
        • Total Posts: 732

@seekjustice

Haha. I am a sadistic writer in my own way. I’m all for anything that can kill the delusional power fantasy that is rampant in adventure/fantasy stories. I mean, how many stories have you read that have badass mages and warriors catching the sniffles (not dealing with romanticised injuries they got in some glorious battle)?

Ooh you have canola fields where you live? Maybe I should drop by Canberra if I happen to travel to Australia one day… 😀

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine
          • Total Posts: 3322

@valtmy Hey, same here! 🙂  I think I asked you a bit ago if you’d heard of The Mikado.  You haven’t, right?

@seekjustice
          I’m doing okay, but am exhausted right now. 😉  I wanted to pop in and say hi, though, since it feels like a while since I talked to you people.

How are you?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
          @valtmy

@rochellaine

Nope I have not.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@valtmy Okay, well, I thought you might be interested in it.  I don’t know what kind of music you like, and you might hate it because of that, (it’s an operetta) but the story is really funny.  It’s set in old Japan, and the premise is that flirting has been made a capital crime, and anyone who flirts must be beheaded.  Fortunately, in one small town, the executioner himself is next in line to be beheaded.  And since beheading oneself, according to the executioner, would be a “very difficult and quite dangerous” task, he can’t be executed, and no one else can either.

…it gets more complicated from there. 😉

Anyway, does it sound interesting?  (And what do you think, @seekjustice?)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
              @valtmy

@rochellaine

Haha that does sound funny though I doubt the opera music will do it for me. I don’t suppose there’s anywhere I can watch it?

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine

@valtmy Well, it’s not really an opera, it’s an operetta, so the music might be a bit more bearable.  Basically, an operetta has a lot more talking in between songs than an opera, so it’s more like a musical with fancier music than normal.  And it’s a comic operetta so the songs are funny too.  G&S are great writers.  So you might be able to get through it without being bored to death. 😛

There are a couple of versions of it on YouTube.  Here’s one that’s well done:

Part One

Part Two

If you’re afraid you won’t like the music, I’d recommend reading the plot first on Wikipedia or whatever, because then you can just skip around and watch whatever parts you like while still being able to follow the story.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Me too. I’ve had some really bad asthma attacks which obviously haven’t been all that good for me.

That sounds like a highly fascinating operetta.

@valtmy

Speaking of asthma, I’ve always wanted to give a stereotypical fantasy hero asthma just to see them deal with it 😛

That is, if you manage to remember it.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
                    @valtmy

@rochellaine

Cool. I’ll check it out when I have time.

@seekjustice

Haha. Unfortunately, I don’t think any of the heroes in my adventure/fantasy story are in a position to be inflicted with asthma (this has to do why they are immune to the magic plague as well) and/or having asthma does not fit with their characterisation (one of them is a soldier so it does not make sense for him to still be in active military duty if he has asthma and the other is a very, very physically gifted individual). I’ll see what I can do about it.

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh, that’s awful. 🙁  I hope they get better.

It is highly fascinating. 😛

Well, I’ll be departing now.  Goodnight!

@valtmy

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@valtmy

🙂 how’s your current WIP going?

@Rochellaine

Goodnight.

valtmy
                          @valtmy

@rochellaine

Goodnight.

@seekjustice

I think I’ve told you this before. The scenes that were cute in my head don’t seem to turn out as cute when I write them. 🙁

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice

@valtmy

That is unfortunate 🙁

valtmy
                              @valtmy

@seekjustice

Well, maybe I’m just being too critical of myself. All part of being a writer. Once I get the scenes done, I’ll post them for review to see what you guys think.

But for now I am stuck with these problematic scenes. It is not about me having trouble resisting the urge to edit but more that I haven’t planned everything in my plot out and there is a lot of cause-and-effect going on so I really need to know what happens before I can move on.

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@valtmy

Self-criticism has got to be the worst thing about being a writer…or being a human really.

I’m a bit of an obsessive plotter for that very reason. I tend to get lost otherwise and end up with ridiculous plots. Or lack thereof.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 736 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >