Writers' Corner #20

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #20

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 736 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@dekreel Hello!

I’ve never fully read the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  The only part I know is the famous “Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink” line. (That is from there, isn’t it? 😮 ) Is it an interesting story?

Do you like long story-poems?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Joy
      @dekreel
        • Total Posts: 2304

@rochellaine  Yep. That’s where it’s from.

It’s pretty interesting and quite well-written, but kind of bizarre and hard to understand. I haven’t been studying it hard enough to write a good analytic essay about it. XP

Eh, long-story poems aren’t my favorite thing in the world, but they’re cool.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

@dekreel I see. 🙂

My favorite book poem is The Courtship of Miles Standish.  I haven’t read many, though. (Unless you count Shakespeare.)

I’ve got to go now.  I hope to see you around again soon!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@dekreel Oh, and your sentiments regarding Rime of the Ancient Mariner, (“well written and interesting, but bizarre and hard to understand”) are basically my thoughts on Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey. 😉 So I know exactly where you’re coming from. 😛

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
            @valtmy
              • Total Posts: 732
              SeekJustice
              @seekjustice
                • Total Posts: 3365

@valtmy

Hello! I’m watching a movie and researching tuberculosis. Not for the purpose of torturing characters or anything, of course.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
                @valtmy

@seekjustice

Hi! Haha are you sure you won’t use it to torture your characters someday?

One of my story ideas involve unleashing a magical equivalent of the Spanish flu in an empire so you may never know. 😛

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@valtmy 😛 I think I’ll use it very soon!

Haha 😀 one of my WWI ideas involves the actual Spanish flu wiping out all the characters who manage to survive the war.

Or maybe not that drastic.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
                    @valtmy

@seekjustice

And to think I thought was cruel when it comes to killing my characters. 😛

From what I read about the Spanish flu, an unusual thing about it is that a young and healthy person is more likely to die from it if they get infected (something to do with the overreaction of the immune system). So I found it to be very fitting for my story. You know how I tend to write genre parodies/deconstructions? Well, the story idea I have is for the fantasy/adventure genre. So there’ll be all these badass warriors with great powers who can defeat any foe… except for this magical plague that is specially designed to kill the strong and spare the weak.

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice

@valtmy

You should know me better than that. I’d hate to be one of my characters.

Yeah, that matches what I’ve read. The thing I find interesting, and scary, about it is that since no one knows what caused it, we couldn’t prevent it from happening again. So theoretically we could have another flu outbreak and all die anytime.

That sounds like a gloriously depressing storyline 😛

valtmy
                        @valtmy

@seekjustice

Oh, yes. The people I’ve talked to who are in the medical community are all very concerned about the possibility of a global flu outbreak especially given how interconnected the world is now. Great reminder of how we are only living by God’s grace, right?

Haha that storyline is actually only one of the plot threads in the story. The plague is supposed to work as a ‘punishment’ for the power-hungry villains (due to very, very ironic circumstances, most of the major characters on the ‘heroic’ side will be immune to it). There will be innocents that suffer from the outbreak, of course, but overall what I have planned will not turn out to be so depressing, I think.

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@valtmy

Yeah, I think it would be be so much worse if it happened now. We’re definitely completely dependant on His grace!

Oh well, that’s good. I love a good poetic justice storyline in that case 😀

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@valtmy @seekjustice Hello, I’m here! 😀

I remember the two big epidemic scares that happened over the past few years.  And I remember people talking about what you’re saying – that the world’s so interconnected it’s really hard to contain viruses now.

So…other than discussing the dangers of deadly diseases and their impact on your characters, how’s it going? 😛

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
                              @valtmy

@seekjustice

Good?! Given how much you torture your characters, I would have thought that you would have liked it if I made it a gloriously depressing storyline. 😛

By the way, I read your blog post about your story for Nanowrimo! The wattle blossoms remind me of the canola flower fields in Jeju in Korea. 😀

valtmy
                                @valtmy

@rochellaine

Hi. Feels like I haven’t talked to you for ages. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 736 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >