Writers' Corner #12

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #12

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 723 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

Phew! Crisis averted ;P

It seems I’m becoming known as the author who does a really good job killing characters.  I assume that’s a good thing to be known for. Right?? But, if you cry a lot over a character’s death, at least in my opinion, it means the character was very well written and you loved them very much, so it’s a sign of good writing 😀

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Well, there are worse things to be known for. 😀

How do you make a guy character?  I’m having trouble with Derek because I know people will get annoyed if he’s perfect, and he actually isn’t because I’m planning for him to have a big argument with someone sometime in the book – though the argument isn’t entirely his fault – but to make my characters realistic I observe the actions of the people around me, and all the guys I have ever known have been nearly perfect (Hint: I have not known many guys!) except for some traits that they have while young, which they outgrow as they get older.  Since he is supposed to be in his twenties, he will have grown out of those childish bad traits, and I don’t know how to give him a bad trait that won’t make him a bad character, because he’s supposed to be one of the nicest guys ever.

That was a weird ramble, but I hope you get my meaning.  And seriously, my two older brothers are next to perfect, and the guys I met at law school are really nice and funny and helpful and all that kind of stuff.  It’s only the boys I knew as a ten or twelve-year-old who ever acted badly in front of me.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

@seekjustice The only things I have done with guy characters before was I gave one of them an anger problem which I didn’t fully develop because he was taking care of his sister for most of the book and didn’t have time to be angry himself, and the other guy was just thoughtless about the feelings of others for a little while when he was enjoying himself.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@rochellaine I suppose so. I could be known as the author who kills characters badly. that would be a bad reputation.

Hmm…good question. I don’t know a lot of guys either, but the ones I do know are super nice, not perfect but nice. There are plenty of flaws that adults have too. he might be too quick to judge someone, or he speaks without thinking sometimes, or doesn’t realise that a particular thing he does (that might be fine for him, or fine for other people) really annoys/hurts other people. Even adults can have quick tempers too. 😀

maybe you could try talking to your brothers??? Ask them what sort of things they struggle with, the sort of things that they have to resist temptations against.

But basically, guys are just people. So focus first on making him a person, and then a man after that. Jane Maree has a post on her blog, which is about writing through a guy’s perspective, but it might be useful.

Writing from a Guy’s POV When You’re a Girl

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@rochellaine Anyway, I need to make myself scarce because it’s time to go to youth group. And apparently it’s asocial to work on writing whilst hanging out with one’s peers 😀

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice Thank you so much!  Looking it up right now…

Okay, bye!  Have fun! (But sometimes it’s fun to be antisocial! 🙂 If you get to write instead.)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17
                  • Total Posts: 2522

@seekjustice *runs to check out your blog* Thanks for letting me know! I’m so excited for you to write this! I miss Chessy, Justice, and Quillon.

Don’t know if you’re still outlining, but if you still are, I’ll join you for a bit. 😊

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                  www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                  @jenwriter17

@seekjustice Just read the post about your sequel. *squeals and flails* I can’t wait. *whispers behind hand and nudges you with elbow* lemme know if you need a beta reader…….

Ah, those snippets! You’re trying to torture me…..

I’ve read Tale of Two Cities, but I never read the les mis story that you did Stars Fill Infinity off of, so this’ll be cool.

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                    @jenwriter17

@seekjustice Sorry, I’m gonna have to stop outlining with ya. see you later!

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17

@dekreel @seekjustice @rochellaine @skredder I’m outlining my dystopian novel. Anyone wanna join me?

www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine

@jenwriter17 Oh, oh, *whimpers* I can’t tonight.  I’d love to, but I’ve got to go now.

Have fun, and good writing!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jenna Terese
                          @jenwriter17

@rochellaine aw, okay. no prob 🙂

www.jennaterese.com

Jenna Terese
                            @jenwriter17

Signin’ off! See y’all tomorrow!

btw, I don’t actually say ‘y’all’ in real life, heheh 🙂

www.jennaterese.com

Joy
                              @dekreel
                                • Total Posts: 2304

@jenwriter17  AUGH! Missed you!

I’m writing! Working on the KPA again 🙂

@seekjustice
                                  @rochellaine  @jane-maree  @winter-rose  @who-knows…

You can pronounce it however you want.

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@dekreel

Well, I’m half here. Half working on a blog post and half watching the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 723 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >