WIP Chat!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 890 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@gracie-j

So longest I’ve written is a little over 50,000 words (in a first draft of a series I’m not currently working on. And some of those words we me just trying to make the word count so I’d add things 😂😂)

@devastate-lasting

Goodness!!! 3 million?! And 10 years?! Wow!! You are definitely committed!

and nice synopses!

I hope this next series will be a bit bigger (have bigger books). Maybe it’ll be one of those where the books get bigger as the series continues. But I’m an underwriter….hopefully I can get it together. Maybe that’s changed some since I’m outlining more. Who knows lol

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@gracie-j Ahem. I feel like I owe an explanation, lol.

It’s not one book. If it was one book I would die. No, it’s 52 volumes divided into 13 series. I started out with the 13 series idea and then decided to keep adding volumes. But 52 is a bit too daunting, so maybe I’ll advertise it as 13 volumes XD.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting

@godlyfantasy12 Ahaha I hate myself for what I make me do  but thank you. It’s nice to have a lot of writing practice. Makes way for bigger and better things.

Yo, I’m sure that the more you write, the better you get! It’s not all about the word count, but logging it sure does help!

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j
            • Total Posts: 1789

@devastate-lasting Look, even at 52 volumes and whatnot, THAT IS STILL A TON OF WORDS! And maybe if I tallied up all that I’ve written in the last five years, I might would find that I’ve written somewhere near 500,000 words or something (I’m seriously going do calculate all that now…), but I could not write that much. I’m just such a slow writer, y’all, it’s crazy.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j (It’s because I tell myself I gotta do this before Jesus comes or I die. That’s how I manage to get through everything. Deadlines, scheduling, numbers…I feel like that’s one of the better things about myself.)

Anyway, quality vs quantity! Both are good, but really, the stuff I wrote at the beginning was trash. (And I don’t even want to think about how long it’s going to take me to edit all of this T-T…. Maybe at some point I’ll ascend to the point of not needing to edit. But I doubt it.)

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12

@devastate-lasting Thx! But yea that’s a lot of words and books!

So my plan (I hope it works out) is to finish the first draft of my standalone by the end of November or start of December. Finish my worldbuilding and summary for book 1 of my series before the end of December, and that way I can start outling for the 2nd book in more depth and start on the first draft of book 1!

WHILE my mom reads thru my first draft of my standalone and then we begin editing.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting

@godlyfantasy12 That sounds like a great plan! It’s so helpful to have family members read through things; I have my sister do mine and she absolutely tears it apart, as all siblings should. She is not happy at the prospect of looking through 52 volumes of stuff. She’ll probably quit by then, tbh.

What’s your favorite point in the writing process?

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@devastate-lasting</p>
                    Hmm. Probably the idea stage. That part when you get an incredible idea or story, or something to add to ur story. Or when you have those AHA moments that ties everything together so beautifully!! Just coming up with characters and those ideas and themes is so much fun and freeing. Especially when things begin clicking into place.

Although, with Reven (my standalone) in finding the drafting is a bit easier this time around, so I’ll probably continue to enjoy that as I go (if I don’t keep procrastinating XD)

Yea, I’ve got fam and friends who are sooo supportive. My mom is kinda like my “first editor”. As in she’s gonna edit it with me before we send it anywhere (if we send it anywhere) anywhere besides other friends or family that is lol.

So my mom told me something she’d read about not telling others about ur story (which is hard, and I fail at this a lot) but it was something about, when you’re drafting, send those ppl or whoeve the pieces u finish because the excitement of them being able to read it will keep u going!

I think that’s what I’m gonna do with my standalone. Probably let my mom, grandma and best friend read it/listen to me read it lol.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting

@godlyfantasy12 Nice haha. I could never do that. I get super embarrassed reading my own stuff out loud, my parents prefer me to talk to them in Chinese, and I’m supposed to be studying most of the time anyway.

I really like the idea stage. It makes me want to write, but unfortunately things get in the way, so that when I actually get around to writing, I’ve lost the motivation and adrenaline that I had in the first place. *sigh*…

Gracie J.
                      @gracie-j

@godlyfantasy12 Man, I wish my family would read through my work. Of course, I’ve had my parents and grandfather read through (and partially) edit my second book, and I had a cousin edit the first–but my mom hates reading and once my second book was published, I had to bribe my sister to read it.

It’s that bad. Aside from my dad (who prefers Jonathan Cahn and stuff), I’m the only one in my immediate family who likes to read, let alone write. It’s depressing.

@devastate-lasting
                        hate reading aloud. And reading my own stuff? Gee, it’s embarrassing enough watching someone else read my writing. I’ve been reading my first book to my younger sister, and it. is. painful. I wince at pretty much every sentence, and I have the worst inflection while reading.

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j Though, to be honest, sometimes I’ll pull out some of my more recent (better writing) and I’ll flip randomly to somewhere and start reading, and I actually kind of enjoy that. I usually have no memory of writing whatever it is, and then when a character says something it’ll make me laugh a little. Only the recent ones, though. The old ones are cringe-worthy.

Gracie J.
                          @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting My older works are super cringe-worthy. I’ll read as I write sometimes (to myself), and in a British accent (ha ha), and I’ll read blog posts/articles/speeches out loud to my family, but I don’t like reading to people. Which makes having two sisters who like me to read to them very uncomfortable.

Linyang Zhang
                            @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j You have sisters who want you to read to them? Can’t relate, haha… Do you have any tips on blogging? I’m currently being tempted by the “blog” button that my website creator has…even though I told myself I wouldn’t…

Gracie J.
                              @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting It’s surprising, but yes, I do. One is three and wants me to read a hundred books at a time and the other is eight and wants me to read my first novel.

Blogging tips…hmm. Well, it is a HUGE commitment, no doubt. You have to find that fine line in between author and blogger. Sometimes, you want to pour your whole heart into blogging, because it’s fun and it’s that outlet for sharing the words you can’t voice, the thoughts that don’t belong in a novel, your opinions, book reviews, sneak peeks, etc. But, for me, it takes time and effort, and sometimes that takes away from what I want to put into my writing.

Most authors I know of will write one long post a month, or a few short ones a week. I do about three or four posts a week, but two regularly. (And they can end up kind of long.) I recommend having a schedule. One post a week. One a month. Whatever. Stick to it. Write your post when you have time and schedule it for your set day.

I don’t regret starting my blog. It’s fun. It’s an outlet. It’s free marketing. But I have terrible time management, so that’s always something you have to be conscious of.

Linyang Zhang
                                @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j Ah thank you for your advice! I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 890 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >