WIP Chat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 890 total)
  • Author
    GodlyFantasy12
    @godlyfantasy12
      • Total Posts: 6645

@devastate-lasting

@gracie-j

This is now the thread for all WIP rants, talks, questions, etc!

We can talk about our WIPs without fear of annoying ppl cuz if they come here, they asked for it! 😂

So why don’t I start with a simple question and we can go from there.

Or you can totally ignore my question and just chat about ur WIP! Honestly doesn’t matter XD. And use as little or as much detail as you wish!

Who is your protagonist. While there might be multiple POVs, who do u feel is ur real MAIN hero or heroine. Usually this is the first POV u introduce (unless someone else is telling their story)

So mine is Arabella (Ara) Fable. She is a princess (not a known one) who lives in Betwixt (as she calls it) which is the place between the Fantasy world and the Real world.

Generations ago,  Betwixt was created by a family member when he had to defeat a rising evil. Since then the family has lived in Betwixt, protecting the fantasy world, story and imagination.

Since the first hero (one who built the castle in Betwixt) there has only been little evils to deal with but nothing huge.

Until before Ara’s birth, it is prophesied she will have to take a journey thru the fantasy world and defeat a new rising evil that might destroy everything.

(Haven’t decided if all of her lineage takes journeys or if it’s kinda just her)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
      #ProtectMarcel
      #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@godlyfantasy12 Yay! Thank you for your hard work!

Ooh, I like the sound of your character! Can you tell me more about the fantasy world? What makes it different from the real world?

Hmm…

A have a lot of different WIPs, in different stages. I might start slow, or I might start fast, depending on my mood. I shall mention their titles just to avoid confusion.

Thirteen Ways to Infinity:

-Central character: Eleven (Dean McAllistar, Vigil Scorpius). His main goal? Trying to find a way to save the sinners who have eaten from the Tree of Life (Magic Users).

The Mafia of Heather Flights:

-Main character(s):

Micah Radcliffe. Head of a company of organized crime.

Ethan Radcliffe: Micah’s younger brother, the vice president.

Shade Seneca: A mysterious drug dealer from their past trying to find revenge…

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

GodlyFantasy12
        @godlyfantasy12

@devastate-lasting

Interesting! Especially intrigued by that first one!

So the fantasy world is kinda like ours in that there are multiple lands (but the way they’re laid out, having almost no connections sometimes with each other, it’s more like different worlds within a world)

So for example, in the first book, using a portal (unless something changes) Ara and November are transported to Cirque. Which is literally a circus world. The head stays in that land, while some of the smaller groups travel throughout the fantasy world, etc. but The RingMaster is head of  Cirque.

in the 2nd book, it’s a rocky, cold terrain with forests, and it’s filled with wolf shapeshifters.

And the 3rd is 3 lands in one, representing Water, Earth and Air (or Oceans, forests, and Mountains) this is where the Mer, Pixies and Fairies live.

So stuff like that lol.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
          #ProtectMarcel
          #ProtectSeb

Jenna Terese
          @jenwriter17
            • Total Posts: 2522

Yay, fun topic! 😀 My protagonist is Scarlett Marley, a quiet introverted teen who, in a world where superhumans are common but not considered heroes, contracts fire powers after being attacked. 🙂

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
            www.jennaterese.com

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12

@jenwriter17

Ooh! Nice!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting

@godlyfantasy12 Ooh, sounds a little bit like the Pendragon series.

Ah, my own world also has different worlds which are connected in various ways. Thirteen of them, to be exact, hence the name.

Let me see if I can remember all of them…

GodlyFantasy12
                @godlyfantasy12

Hey, so does anyone have any worldbuilding tips? I’ve got a Scrivener template I’m using for worldbuilding but it’s just….not the most fun thing in the world.

im such a procrastinator 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’m also working on a sorta long summary for the first book. I wanna get that done, worldbuilding done, and finish the first draft of my standalone before actually starting to draft the first book, so I’ve got a bit of a ways to go.

hoping to finish the first draft of my standalone before next year. Maybe even at the end of November. That’d be great. But again, procrastinator!! That and I got caught up thinking about this new series, but I wanna finish this standalone so I can actually finish something and publish something I’m truly ready to publish lol.

But anyone have any tips on worldbuilding or outlines in general? Or maybe how to motivate yourself to write?

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                  #ProtectMarcel
                  #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
                  @devastate-lasting

@godlyfantasy12 It’s been a while since I’ve world-built…for my fantasy one I basically came up with things I liked, I think, and as my story progressed I added on. I’m very much in the “make up everything as you go along” group.

For my mafia one, though, as I’m currently plotting, I ask myself questions about the plot and add in different world-building background things that makes sense. For this one I also want to have a lot of symbolism, so I’ll add small things too.

As for motivation, when I see people doing great stuff with their writing, like having their own server or website or something, makes me really want to write. Also getting reader feedback and review. As well as imagining where I want to be in ten years.

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12

@devastate-lasting

I like watching Authortube (YouTube but Author or writer videos lol) it gets me inspired and motivated. Also music sometimes.

I was pantsing for the one series, and got to the 2nd draft and was like “I’m a bit sick of this”

So now I’m trying to outline. It seems have to have helped some for my standalone. But that could just be first person is easier for me lol!!

Anyone here ever read Save The Cat Writes A Novel? I’ve skipped some parts but it is SO AMAZING!! Like, even if ur a pantser it’s AWESOME!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

Gracie J.
                      @gracie-j
                        • Total Posts: 1789

@godlyfantasy12 @devastate-lasting @jenwriter17

Y’all’s ideas are all spectacular!

I’ll just jump in now…

#1 Bound and Determined is the third in my historical romance series (of, currently, six books; that’s liable to change), Daughters of the Seven Seas. It picks up two years after where the second left off, so in a way it’s a direct continuation, but a focus is placed on two “new” characters.

Main Characters (in order of perceived importance): Rina Bennet, Keaton Clarke and Daisy Sharow, Xavier Bennet, (possibly) Elliot and Crimson Fulton.

Word Count (you did not ask but I give anyway): Approximately 90,000 words

(Un)Official Summary:

They had all thought it past. Yet now the storm has returned.

Atlantic Ocean

A wicked twist of fate—or perhaps the hand of God—has landed Captain Rina Bennet in the most precarious situation yet. When her husband and the father of her twin boys leaves at the behest of a family friend, she is left to take charge of the ship she has not sailed on in two years, accepting the responsibility of a dwindling crew, half of which don’t even know her as captain. Saddled with two toddlers, she struggles in vain to erect some form of normalcy and order upon her ship…

Then the past suddenly appears to haunt both her and her quartermaster Keaton, in the forms of an old friend and an old life.

Rina has to make a judgment call when the ghosts come knocking, a call that could mean either life or death—for both an innocent girl and herself. The storm has returned.

#2 Tell Me No Lies, a Civil War era murder mystery/historical drama/romance (it’s really not a definable anything at this point). It’s more of a political/Yankee perspective of the Civil War rather than a Confederate’s or a soldier’s. I get to dive more into the KGC and the political side of the war instead of focusing on the fighting. I haven’t done much work on it in recent months–I’m saving it for once I finish Bound and Determined.

Main Characters (all equally important at this point): Forrest Billingham, Kerri-Leigh Cannon (I would probably name her the protagonist), and Rhys Sterling.

Word Count: Approximately 28,000 words.

My Best Attempt at a Summary:

Private detective Forrest Billingham has solved many a murder mystery, but when he is hired by Rhys Sterling, a notorious playboy and gambler, to uncover the truth behind his half-brother’s death, Forrest finds himself tangled up in a web of lies, deceit, and treachery that he can’t get out of. All the evidence left behind from Marcus Cannon’s murder points in all the wrong directions: killed by his brother, murdered by his wife, suicide. Except Mr. Sterling says he was on the other side of town at the time of Cannon’s death, and he has multiple alibis. Mrs. Cannon, feisty though she may be, is certainly not the kind of woman to murder her husband–and she has a houseful of alibis. The victim himself, as all his employees and colleagues say, had a mission that urged him onward in the world. It’s that “mission” Forrest knows play a part in this case. But with lies and misleading clues popping up left and right, this detective doesn’t know what to think. Well, except that he needs to steer clear of Kerri-Leigh Cannon.

Also, I am a proud pantser (who outline some aspects at certain intervals), but I have heard great things about Save The Cat.  And @godlyfantasy12, I can direct you to the rather in-depth and proficient career world-builder, @leon-fleming, but I myself have little knowledge of world-building. That being said, if you’re ever looking for just the right questions to ask when establishing a series of governments within separate countries within your world, I have a list.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

GodlyFantasy12
                        @godlyfantasy12

@gracie-j

Nice and awesome summary!!

Goodness your writing just in that is incredible!!

I have a summary for my standalone (or synopsis. Whatever lol.) and a logline. They aren’t perfect obviously.

I have a sorta logline for the first series book too, and a working series name (just so I can call it something other then #SecretProject, which is what I refer to it as to my friends and stuff lol)

the working title is Quill & Ink series. Obviously it’ll probably change but just so I have something, it works.

I guess I’ll go ahead and put down my standalone synopsis.

Working title: Reven

Word count (might change): hopefully 50,000 words

Tempest has spent the past four years in KaSpeir, caring for her best friend. As his magical powers continue to grow, Tempest chooses to ignore it. But when the man who hurt her friend returns, telling her that the boy might destroy the world, she knows she has to leave.

In a foreign land, she meets an elf and a half-dryad who help her search for a cure.

Discovering there isn’t one, Tempest is forced to reevaluate and accept herself and her friend before she loses him forever.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                          #ProtectMarcel
                          #ProtectSeb

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j Whoa, those are historical novels that I’d read.

I might have given synopsizes for my things, maybe not. But here goes nothing. (I’ll make up new stuff as the old ones are outdated. Let’s see how well I can do when put on the spot.)

Thirteen Ways to Infinity:

Magic Users. The most blessed and most cursed of all those created…blessed with magic yet cursed to never find a happy ending…

“The Crown Prince. He’s the source of all our trouble. Let’s do away with him, and then we shall be free.” That was what they said, but now the Prince is gone, and things were still the same as before…

The stories of so many, somehow entwine together, as these lost people waste their lives trying to find themselves happiness, but end up going straight in the other direction…

“Oh, why you can’t find a happy ending? I know. I’ve known for a long time. It’s because…”

The story of their mad Crown Prince, who tries to save them all…

The Mafia of Heather Flights:

Micah Radcliffe is one of the youngest and most successful businessmen in Heather Flights, CEO of the company Rose Corp. But in reality, he is just one of the many leaders of organized crime that run the underworld beneath the isolated city. However, once he refuses a deal with a mysterious drug dealer, the world which he has carefully constructed around himself begins to fall apart…

Ethan Radcliffe has always lived in his brother’s shadow. He’s fine with it; his brother’s always been better at dealing with people than he. But what is this wrenching feeling around his heart? Why can’t he bring himself to eat a bite of food? Ethan thought that maybe doing something drastic would help ease his burden, but now he just feels more guilty then ever… In his new position, he starts to see what the world looks like from below. More so, he is intrigued by the appearance of two people that shouldn’t exist…and just what do they have to do with the death of his mother?

A story of two brothers, a dying experiment, guilt and revenge, all in this isolated city of Heather Flights…

Gracie J.
                            @gracie-j

@godlyfantasy12 @devastate-lasting Thanks! Y’all’s summariesare great and make your stories sound so interesting! As I’m sure they are regardless…

And I probably should have mentioned that my word count is what I have already written so far, so Bound and Determined will actually end up being more like 160,000 words and Tell Me No Lies will be something like 75,000-90,000.

Which begs the question, what is the longest finished or unfinished book (or any sort of writing project) that you have ever written? How long did it take you to write it?

Linyang Zhang
                              @devastate-lasting

@gracie-j So far as I’ve calculated if I’m writing in a 200 pg wide ruled 8.5×11 inch notebook it usually ends up being maybe 60,000, 65,000? But since I’m switching to college ruled next year I can probably get more in, so…maybe over 70,000. Thirteen Ways is currently calculated as going to have over 3 million words, and Mafia is probably going to be around 180,000.

As for how long…currently it takes me 3 months to get through one notebook (book), but I hope that next year I can scrape that down to 40 days.

How long is it going to take me to finish Thirteen Ways? If all goes well, the total time will be ten years. And we’re five-six years in, so woot! And Mafia I can probably finish the first draft in maybe 4 months, depending on how distracted I will get sitting in front of the computer.

Gracie J.
                                @gracie-j

@devastate-lasting I would comment on everything you just wrote…

But 3 MILLION words? WHAT? Is that even possible?

Congrats for making it as far as you have, girl! Whoa!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 890 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >