Where do you live?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Where do you live?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    BlueJay
    @bluejay
      • Total Posts: 1622

@christi-eaton We have a national park close by and I like to go there. I also like zoos. But I’m content with going to friends’ houses. 😀
      Every Wednesday!?! That would be so awesome. You must have a lot of fun. 😀 😀 😀

BlueJay
      @bluejay

Thanks @reaganramm for the info and facts on Florida. I’m guessing when we actually start reading stuff about that state I’ll have more questions, but what you gave us is great for starters. Appreciate it. 😀

BlueJay
        @bluejay

@reaganramm have you been to Legoland yet?

BlueJay
          @bluejay

Alright people from Indiana: QUESTION TIME!!!! @faithdk, @hope, @hislittlerose, @markmcguire, @watersnail
            Do you have a state animal and if so what is it????
            (We are about to study Indiana so any interesting facts that you can think of would be appreciated. 🙂 )

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 1486

Yay so many fellow Ohioans! I don’t think I have any great facts, oh except a tiny part of the first Avengers was filmed in a hanger in Wilmington OH.

Hope Ann
              @hope
                • Total Posts: 1092

@Bluejay Yes, Indiana! We have a state bird, the Cardinal. Our state flower is the Peony and our state tree is the Tulip Tree. We call ourselves Hoosiers…I’m not sure on the background of that name though.

Basketball is a big sport here; not that I’ve ever been interested. Also, there is the NASCAR 500 race down in Indianapolis. Also in Indianapolis, we have a Soldiers and Sailors monument which one can climb over three hundred steps to the top and look out over the city. So fun! We didn’t realize how many steps there where when we started going up. Going down was so much fun though. 🙂

Also, we’re called The Crossroads of America. We’ve some large railroad centers to the north…South Bend or Elkhart? I think it’s Elkhart. And we just started using Daylight Savings time a few years ago. Before that our time matched Eastern Standard time for half the year and Central Standard time the other half.

Oh, and Johnny Appleseed is buried here.

And that’s all I can think of off the top of my head. If I think of anything else while butchering chickens this morning, I’ll let you know. 🙂

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Greta
                @gretald
                  • Total Posts: 450

@winter-rose Yay! I’m from Ohio, too. And I didn’t know that about the Avengers. Pretty cool.

@Hope
                  Funny, Ohio’s state bird is the cardinal, too. 😉 😛

Sarah Hoven
                  @sarah-h
                    • Total Posts: 669

I’m pretty sure the cardinal is Virginia’s state bird, too. I wonder why they are so popular.

Daeus
                    @daeus
                      • Total Posts: 4238

7 states have the cardinal as their state bird. I can’t say why for sure, but they certainly are nice birds.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
                      @bluejay

@hope Oooo great facts. So you don’t have a state animal like a buffalo or coyote? (I hope I spelt that right) 🙂

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

@bluejay Nope, no state animal. I think states can have an animal if they want, but Indiana doesn’t have one.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

BlueJay
                          @bluejay

@hope Okay. Thanks. 🙂

Hannah R.
                            @his-instrument
                              • Total Posts: 229

Hey @bluejay!
                              I haven’t been on here for a while and I just saw your post, so I’m extremely late in the conversation and didn’t have time to read through more than the first page but I wanted to let you know that I have been to Sight and Sound Theater. I love acting, too, and I would love to act in one, but I’d have to move away to do it… I live in Ohio and the nearest one is Lancaster, Pennsylvania, which isn’t too bad. Do they have anything like Sight and Sound in Australia? I went to see Moses last year and it was amazing!

YA Fantasy Writer
                              Obsessive Character Namer
                              Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

BlueJay
                              @bluejay

@his-instrument Hey, thanks for jumping in. You love acting? That’s great. Yes, the same for me, with moving. 🙂 No, unfortunately we don’t have S and S in Oz. We do have theater productions/companies, but nothing like S and S. 🙁
                                I have seen Joseph via DVD and that was…AMAZING!!!! I’d like to see Ruth as well.
                                Have you ever acted? I have play the roles of Peter Pan, Aladdin and a pirates in three different shows. They were all great fun to act. 🙂

Timothy Young
                                @timothy-young
                                  • Total Posts: 23

Hello, and thank you to the person who had be drift over and represent South Africa for this Ohioan dominated forum. 🙂

To be clear I am not a citizen or native of South Africa, and have only spent the past fifteen years here.

I was born in passing through New York, and for the next three years traveled America, surveying it, with brief interludes in other countries (I learned to walk in Kenya) before moving to South Africa with the rest of my family.

I have learned how swim and read on this continent and at times I was vaguely proficient with mathematics.

For those interested, South Africa is the most modern country in Africa and Cape Town (my place of residence) is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Naturally we do not have lions or elephants wandering free on the streets, and have all of the basics (Water, Electricity, Internet, and gasoline) for modern civilization.

Cape Town is a very diverse city, and surrounded by mountains. This, means that our weather is rather prone to be thick and wet.

As it seems fashionable here is a brief rant on the system of mis… I am mean government we enjoy (at times we really do enjoy it. It is a never ending source of depressing humor).

We have a democratically elected president that theorectially can only rule two terms. There is a also a house of parliament and there are nine provinces. Because of historical reasons, we have not one capital but three.

There are dozens of political parties, but one of them is by far in the lead, the ANC (African National Congress). It essentially is synonymous with corruption,nepotism, and favoritism. Whatever their hand touches, withers and dies in scandal. The next biggest party is the DA (Democratic Alliance) which is fiscally more conservative, somewhat less corrupt, and the only province they have is the Western Cape. They are almost morally equivalent to the American democrats. There are many other little parties, of many shades and hues. The only other major that comes to mind, is the EFF (Economic Freedom Fighters) who are very communistic and violently anti-white, and currently throwing parliament into disorder.

These trifles do not bother most of South Africa. The country is, as far as I have seen, very disabused of the notion that government can help them. Instead they concern themselves with other things. Such as preparing for frequent black outs (courtesy of our local and state owned power company, Eskom) repairing cars (while we have the best roads in Africa, they are going down in quality) and worrying about crime (last I knew, we were the 4th on the list of most violent crime)… So with happy diversions like that, who cares what the government does?

We also have a large home schooling community in Cape Town, which probably has nothing to do with the quality of the schools. Nothing at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 249 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >