The Narrow Path Trilogy Book I: The Cost

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests The Narrow Path Trilogy Book I: The Cost

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    The Ducktator
    @theducktator
      • Total Posts: 723

@linus-smallprint

By the way, does anyone have any advice on writing things happening during a conversation? I need more things than ‘character1 looked at/glanced at/stared at/turned to/anything else involving looking at character2′.

Do they fidget or have any nervous habits?

Communist jokes aren’t funny unless everyone gets them.

Stephie
      @stephie
        • Total Posts: 89

@linus-smallprint

Sometimes, just describing other things they’re doing with their body language is helpful. For example, observing a conversation between my sisters that’s going on right now, I can see a lot of things they’re doing that don’t involve looking at one another:

• Blowing bubbles with gum
        • Toying with the carpet
        • Cupping their hands around their faces (like when you’re pretending to shout)
        • Fiddling with something in their hands
        • Glancing at something they want (in my sisters’ case, the TV)
        • Pausing between words or hesitating
        • Coughing

Observing what they’re doing with their hands, their feet, and their surroundings can really make your dialogue come to life. Hope that helps!

"Courage, dear heart." -Aslan

Linus Smallprint
        @linus-smallprint
          • Total Posts: 395

@keilah-h

Alan is joining Stripe’s cause?

Yup

One question: What’s up with the names Cyrus, Anamynth, Iskyagus and Opitarus? Are these lyens? Kinda odd, because all the lyen names up to this point have been cat-related, and I can’t see any connections with these names.

Oh, I forgot to explain Cyrus’ name. When I introduced him, I couldn’t find a place to fit it in. I should go back and do that. Lyens do recognize their names are dumb so in Klaw at least, royalty allows humans to name their young. There is another lyen character I am planning on introducing at some point (perhaps book 2) named Alec. He is Cyrus’ nephew. Lyens adopted at a young age by other races may have different names as well, though usually, those looking to adopt in this world look to adopt someone of the same race. Other than that, all lyens should have lyen names.

Anamyth is Cyrus’ kentor advisor. I introduced her as such back in Chapter the 5th.

Opitarus is a kentor solider. I have not explicitly stated him as such, but he was introduced in Chapter the 8th and it is implied he is one.

I can’t say much about Iskyagus at the moment. But you are free to guess who this might be.

Linus Smallprint
          @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

Okay. I guess that would also help bring not just the characters, but the world to life.

@theducktator

I guess I do have Alan scratching his elbow whenever he feels the guilt of having used magic. I’ll have to think of some for other characters. I feel Tyn and Eric would have some.

@stephie

I should probably pay more attention to what people are doing as I have conversations with them as well. Fiddling is something I could defiantly take advantage of.

Thank you, all three of you, for your advice! This will be helpful!

Keilah H.
            @keilah-h
              • Total Posts: 4721

@linus-smallprint A little weird that the lyens would entrust the naming of their young to a species they think is inferior, but at least it makes sense now.

and yeah, judging from what I’ve seen on kentor names so far, Anamyth and Opitarus make sense too. I can’t tell on Iskyagus, but it seems like he should probably be a kentor as well, or some other species (definitely not a human).

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

The Ducktator
              @theducktator

@linus-smallprint

Alan and his Old English cracked me up.

Linus Smallprint
                @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle @theducktator @keilah-h @stephie @theshadow @loopylin

As predicted, I am still working on Chapter the 19th this week. In the mean time, I got some older artwork of Martha and Stripe to share with you. (I will do Stripe is a separate post). I will put these into my Google albums as well.

Martha Humler
                  I relised I completely forgot to describe Martha’s apperance in the book so far, but this is pretty much what she looks like. Dure to working with horses a lot, Martha is almost always seen in pants and boots. I will eventually come back to her and refine her design some more.

Ellette Giselle
                  @ellette-giselle
                    • Total Posts: 1072

@linus-smallprint

Awe! I love her!! She looks like a really sweet person, and I love the longer tunic with the pants.

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Linus Smallprint
                    @linus-smallprint

And here is Stripe:

Stripe, the kunulf

This is his first draft design, which is a little different from his second draft design. Kunulfs were different in there and some had attributes of different races. For example, you may notice that Stripe has sheathed claws here, like a lion. No, I don’t want to talk about it. Trust me, the way Kunulfs are now is much better. Other than that, this is Stripe. I think I did a good job of balancing his wild side with his love of books. (He’s reading a book written by the narrorator of TNPT)

Linus Smallprint
                      @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

The tunic is a vunny hug (It’s a bit of a cross between a tunic and a hoodie). Eric wears the same.

If you are wondering where the name Vunny Hug comes from, in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan, they call hoodies ‘Bunny Hugs’, so I just swapped the B for a V.

Ellette Giselle
                        @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

Ooo, I like him!!!

I don’t know why, but this whole time I have really, really wanted one of the characters to give Stripe a hug. Like one of the little kids. It would be so cute, especially because he does not seem lie a hugs person, yet his protector side wouldn’t let him hurt a little kid. lol.

Oh that’s hilarious!

The Ducktator
                          @theducktator

@linus-smallprint

Oooh, I love them! Your art style reminds me of the Wingfeather Saga.

Linus Smallprint
                            @linus-smallprint

@theducktator

Yup, that would be right. Joe Sutphin is one of my favourite artists and has heavily influenced my drawing style with the second edition of The Wingfeather Saga and his version of Little Pilgrim’s Progress

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h
                                • Total Posts: 4721

@linus-smallprint I love them!!

Please tell me you kept Stripe’s glasses (or at least have another bespectacled Kunulf in the story somewhere, if you didn’t) cause I love the look of it.

also Martha’s “vunny hug” clothing and your explanation of why it’s called that is really cool.

does that imply that a “vunny” exists? some animal, maybe?

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ellette Giselle
                                @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

wait, you’ve read The Little Pilgrim’s Progress!??!

I LOVE that book!!! I grew up on it!! My mom would read it to us once a year since I was a toddler. Each year I understood something new! It was so cool!!

wait!!! He illiterates one of them!!!!! 😲😮!! I am going to look that up right now!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 276 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >